Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 03:12:20 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 ... 232
Author Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode  (Read 1698356 times)
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2260 on: February 02, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »

In a hypothetical universe where TTT had a Victorian/steampunk setting with Gentlemen instead of Terrorists and Murderers instead of Traitors, I would call them Detectives. As it is, I think Loyalist fits slightly better, but if you have a good alternative I will certainly consider it.

The whole "innocent"/"traitor" thing is a superficial, paradoxical bit of fun, resulting from my use of CS:S models. Normal players are Terrorists, clearly innocent helpless victims of the evil Traitors, yet Traitors are killing Terrorists which is typically considered a good thing. Pseudo role-reversal of Terrorists in videogames. A deep commentary on our modern-day society. Art gaming.
C.Mong
Poster

DNR Owner

« Reply #2261 on: February 02, 2010, 10:21:33 PM »

This is pretty exciting, I can't wait to play this update :D Sounds badass.

www.dnr-gaming.com
Pastor
Build Tester

Bewildering Transvestite Wasteland

« Reply #2262 on: February 02, 2010, 11:08:03 PM »

Nope. They will show up green like normal innocents. Loyalists will show blue.

Blue names? they obviusly should be named the rotinajs!

Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2263 on: February 02, 2010, 11:44:37 PM »

Art gaming.
I chuckled.

Anyways, while it makes more sense to call the person "loyalist", the "detective" title is much more intuitive and you instantly realize the player's role. Sure, it makes less sense, gameplay definitely comes before setting and context. "Loyalist" just sounds like they're a pretty big fan of terror, and really, they're all loyalists when you think about it ('cept the traitors).

Bonus argument: Detectives are usually people trying to find evil doers, but in this role reversal, the detectives are trying to find the good doers. Art gaming.

That said, here's some ideas that try to say "detective" but also sound like something terrorists might have:
- Investigator
- Prosecutor
- Inspector
- Counter-Traitor (Kind of like counter-terrorist + role reversal)

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Officer_BUlbock
Poster

oh god not the snorks nooo

« Reply #2264 on: February 03, 2010, 12:04:36 AM »

I've always enjoyed the bizarre morality of TTT. "Detective" is a bit more intuitive and has links to mafia games but loyalist is kind of a cool title and also emphasises that they're guaranteed to be innocent. Can't wait to try the new version out.

Maps:
zm_air  zm_powderkeg  zm_voodoo  zm_endgame ttt_airbus ttt_siege
AndyTheGeeky
Build Tester

Wannabe Zoidberg

« Reply #2265 on: February 03, 2010, 01:11:22 AM »

- Counter-Traitor (Kind of like counter-terrorist + role reversal)

Any votes for replacing Innocent with Loyalist, and using Counter-Traitor?

Signature Pending...
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2266 on: February 03, 2010, 01:21:23 AM »

I like terrorists being "innocents" right now. That said, I think Counter-Traitor is pretty funny, but I'm still trying to think of a way to make it sound more like Counter-Terrorist.

Charles445
Build Tester

I LOVE THIS AVATAR

« Reply #2267 on: February 03, 2010, 04:46:10 AM »

TTT became so popular that stgggs decided to troll it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9EeaWs3zUs[/youtube]

del>Ok, so Bad King, you are just going to wait for Garry to fix?
What an idiotic thing to ask. Dammit weed.

Bookcases, Bookcases Everywhere
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2268 on: February 03, 2010, 07:49:21 AM »

I can dig Investigator (compared to Detective it is less police-ish) and Counter-Traitor. Both are a bit long, but I'll see how they look on the HUD.

edit: both Investigator and Counter-Traitor require me to mutilate the HUD. Detective does not. I've tried some other words as well, but Detective just describes things best. I've decided clarity is more important than the setting, and Loyalist is not as clear as Detective.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:03:31 AM by Bad King Urgrain »
UnInvincible
Build Tester

SANTA SHAMBLER SEIZURE!

« Reply #2269 on: February 03, 2010, 09:12:55 PM »

Nice update BKU, glad you went with my difuser idea. Also, I like the change from a minute for minimum to 45 seconds to balance things out.

my game keeps crashing as it loads, (i have all the expansion packs including the apartment life) and i am hearing that it might possibly be a custom content problem? how do i remove custom content?
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2270 on: February 03, 2010, 10:53:41 PM »

Did that guy complaining about some of the temporary detective code delete his thread? I had a reply written up too. People don't stand behind their flames these days like they used to, what is the internet coming to?

edit: Oh it's a PM now.
eeny
Build Tester

+1

« Reply #2271 on: February 03, 2010, 11:03:42 PM »

Hehe, I expected great things from that thread, and it was delivered.

I don't suppose your above posting your reply here?

Nobody Expects the Malkavian Inquisition!
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2272 on: February 03, 2010, 11:14:49 PM »

Dump of thoughts while playing:

-Not sure if this has been suggested, but perhaps the colour of the karma tag on players should be a white to black scale, as oppose to a green to red scale. The green to red is really indicative of traitorousness/innocence, both with heath (injured people are suspicious people) and your own scoreboard tags. Karma is more, "how likely is this person to kill me on poor reasoning?", which is different. Anyways, I just think it should be white to black, and I've run into quite a few people who agree.

-I think it would be interesting if spectators were more ghost-like. More specifically, I think it would be interesting if spectators could walk around normally and see each other as ghosts (terrorists, but more transparent... and blue). Obviously one could still cycle to the noclipping invisible free-look, and I suppose ghosts would still have to noclip through entities so they couldn't move props around, need to open doors, or block movelinears. I know this wouldn't be easy to do, but it would be pretty fun. Food for thought.

-Any thoughts on making detective end-of-round rewards/achievements?

-I know I wrote this already in the other thread, but it would be super cool if detective was chosen based on who's spent the most rounds in a row being innocent (not traitor or detective). It'll be like, "Hey man, you're so damn innocent, maybe you should make it your job". Of course, you couldn't release the information on this, because someone who's spent the most rounds as innocent not getting detective is pretty clearly a traitor.

UnInvincible
Build Tester

SANTA SHAMBLER SEIZURE!

« Reply #2273 on: February 03, 2010, 11:18:29 PM »

The thing about the white/black karma indicator is that you're more likely to run into cases where it's hard to read. At least that's what I think.

my game keeps crashing as it loads, (i have all the expansion packs including the apartment life) and i am hearing that it might possibly be a custom content problem? how do i remove custom content?
Firespray
Build Tester

:-(

« Reply #2274 on: February 03, 2010, 11:19:52 PM »

I see a flaw in the ghostish spectators.  This could perhaps look to more ghosting.  A dead person always following one person around which could indicate hes a traitor or if they say, which way he go?  The spectator just goes.

Z3RO: Tanners sister isnt bad looking :v
Firespray: New sig
Z3RO: noooo

holocalls traumatize worbat
Marauder8
Build Tester

Future Emperor of Antarctica

« Reply #2275 on: February 03, 2010, 11:21:10 PM »

I see a flaw in the ghostish spectators.  This could perhaps look to more ghosting.  A dead person always following one person around which could indicate hes a traitor or if they say, which way he go?  The spectator just goes.

I think he means only spectators can see the ghosts.

THIS RAINCOAT IS FROM THE DEVIL
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2276 on: February 03, 2010, 11:26:12 PM »

Oh god no, obviously the living couldn't see the dead. That'd be retarded.

The thing about the white/black karma indicator is that you're more likely to run into cases where it's hard to read. At least that's what I think.
Well white text isn't a problem because we're using it right now, and if someone actually gets to full black, I think making out what the title says is the least of your worries.

Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2277 on: February 03, 2010, 11:27:10 PM »

-Not sure if this has been suggested, but perhaps the colour of the karma tag on players should be a white to black scale, as oppose to a green to red scale

Visibility is my concern here. I also don't like that it's green-red because it's confusing with the health, but both red and green are very visible. Black wouldn't be (especially as many maps are darkish), and when it's low is exactly when you want to have it jumping out at you. Other scales like purple/blue-yellow don't make sense and are ugly to boot.

I think it would be interesting if spectators were more ghost-like.

Personally don't really see the appeal.

Any thoughts on making detective end-of-round rewards/achievements?

On the cards. So far it hasn't even been entirely certain detectives would be a fun addition, so adding awards is a bit premature.

I know I wrote this already in the other thread, but it would be super cool if detective was chosen based on who's spent the most rounds in a row being innocent (not traitor or detective). It'll be like, "Hey man, you're so damn innocent, maybe you should make it your job". Of course, you couldn't release the information on this, because someone who's spent the most rounds as innocent not getting detective is pretty clearly a traitor.

People could just read the code though, so obscurity doesn't really work. Information leaking is therefore a problem. The selection code already takes into account that people who were detective OR traitor last round should have a lower chance of being detective this round (same mechanism for lowering traitor streak likelihood).

I don't suppose your above posting your reply here?

It's polite and not interesting. I don't really rage over someone criticising my code.

edit:
Big post anyway, so why not more: I think there may be trouble with detectives throwing their special stuff at people to see if they auto-pickup (if not, they are traitor). Seems like the most straightforward workaround is making special weapons not auto-pickup, but require you to press USE on them. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:43:16 PM by Bad King Urgrain »
Killroy
Build Tester

« Reply #2278 on: February 03, 2010, 11:45:59 PM »

You could make the highest karma black, which, while it makes the least sense, would be the kind of karma you don't really need to see. With the lowest being white and poppy.

I clicked on that link, but quickly closed the tab before it loaded upon realizing that the file name was whalecock.jpg.
darkhazz
Poster

I just look like i'm interested.

« Reply #2279 on: February 04, 2010, 12:15:07 AM »

The grenade spamming is getting really annoying. Maybe it would be reasonable, if you can throw and pick up only one single grenade in a round.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 ... 232
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length