Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:47:42 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 ... 232
Author Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode  (Read 1699940 times)
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2180 on: January 25, 2010, 09:15:52 PM »

Clearly the solution is making traitorness less interesting.
Or, you know, work on making innocence more interesting. Make figure out a way so that investigating will directly benefit you while hiding will definitely get you killed.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2181 on: January 25, 2010, 09:29:08 PM »

I'll get to that right after the GC2 multiplayer mod.

Known issue: possessed prop names not working during post-round yet, fixed for next version.
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #2182 on: January 25, 2010, 10:17:02 PM »

I'll get to that right after the GC2 multiplayer mod.

Huzzah!

Any chance of the tellymarker be where you aim and not where you stand?

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2183 on: January 25, 2010, 10:20:47 PM »

By making you mark a location, it prevents all abuse with marking places you're not supposed to go to (seeing as you have to actually go there first).
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2184 on: January 25, 2010, 11:48:20 PM »

What happens if you use it in mid-air (i.e. while jumping off a tower)?

Darkest_97
Poster

Hi.

« Reply #2185 on: January 26, 2010, 01:27:46 AM »

You cant activate it or mark while in the air he said.
I was thinking mark the top of the tower on island and jump off for the fun of it, but we cant :(
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #2186 on: January 26, 2010, 12:50:19 PM »

By making you mark a location, it prevents all abuse with marking places you're not supposed to go to (seeing as you have to actually go there first).

Is there a way to make the telly location check if it's not floating in mid-air. Then you would be able to have it be "fired".

my god
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2187 on: January 26, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »

No, because there are many reasons why a mapper might have an area not normally accessible while still being  standable if you do manage to get there. Making mappers add brushes is not an option, backwards compatibility with non-TTT maps is critical. I have thought about these things while implementing the teleport. Only being able to mark your current location is surprisingly elegant when you consider all the shit that could happen otherwise.
Officer_BUlbock
Poster

oh god not the snorks nooo

« Reply #2188 on: January 26, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »

Just from a bit back but the best way to make being an innocent more interesting is to encourage trust and teamwork before it gets torn down by the traitors. TTT can feel like a very flat experience if you're merely moving around the map giving a wide berth to everybody until somebody shouts out the name of the traitor or pulls up behind you and takes your head off. It's a much more enjoyable experience when you're either rolling or camping with other people you feel slightly safer around, as you get some teamwork forming and you actually have something to lose.

This already happens to an extent of course, but the naturally occurring, risky-but-interesting "I can throw my lot in with this guy as I'm safer, unless he's a traitor in which case I'm in greater danger" behaviour is much more likely when there are tangible mechanics inside the game that encourage it. Innocent objectives or traitor testing for example. When someone you know for sure is innocent dies it's a real blow, and when you've been working with someone towards a goal the twist of the knife is that much more memorable.

Possible ways to encourage this kind of co-operation gamemode-side could be some sort of "gang" system that allow people to formally form groups that can be seen by everybody. It could work on an invite/proximity system and people would be arranged by gangs on the scoreboard which could help formalise "I'm hiding out with X and X" and also add another variety of possible clues (without remembering who everyone is saying they're together with).

Another idea might be to a traitor testing kit that everybody has that allows them to test people. Of course it would be less than ideal: the results would only be beamed to the person giving the test, you'd lose 25 health every time you tested and there's only a 66% chance of it giving the correct results. This means that you can't rely on it to find traitors as you'd have to trust what somebody else is saying or test the subject yourself to be more sure which you couldn't do very many times.

But you could tag and buddy up with someone with the knowledge that they are much more valuable as allies above everybody else in the game. Which is what makes things interesting right? You need to gain something before having it torn down really means anything beyond sitting out watching people you didn't trust get picked off by other people you didn't trust.

Maps:
zm_air  zm_powderkeg  zm_voodoo  zm_endgame ttt_airbus ttt_siege
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #2189 on: January 26, 2010, 08:53:58 PM »

I think really map objectives that force people to work together and split up is the ideal way. We just need mappers making these things.

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
that guy
Build Tester

« Reply #2190 on: January 27, 2010, 12:28:21 AM »

Is there anyway that you could make it so you can disable crosshairs all together in the f1 settings menu because I would love to have no crosshair while playing.

I want to know who was the first person to rub barrels, must of been an epic moment like discovering fire or your sisters vibrator.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2191 on: January 27, 2010, 04:05:20 AM »

Random thought: What if, each round, the game selects a detective or detectives (based on the number of traitors)? The scoreboard would show them as detectives to everyone, which would both help them investigate but make them huge targets as well. The detectives, I suppose, could have access to a variety of detective equipment made specifically for finding the traitors, like a kit to check fingerprints on discarded traitor items (knife, diffused c4) or a placeable surveillance camera.

Just a random thought. It came to me when I realized most murder games such as Mafia and Murder Handshake always have detectives as well as murderers. I think it would be really fun, and tGB could direct his item-making fury towards the innocents.

Qloos
Poster

« Reply #2192 on: January 27, 2010, 04:06:50 AM »

I 2nd this, it would give the innocents a leader to rally around. 
DemiGod
Build Tester

Nimble as a pregnant cow

« Reply #2193 on: January 27, 2010, 04:23:18 AM »

It would add some more spice to TTT

I hate all of you
Nah, more like demigod isn't self centered and he is legality cool guy.
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #2194 on: January 27, 2010, 04:23:32 AM »

Something that might be possible is shifting already existing TTT features to Detective Tools. Naturally even traitors get these tools so you can't use them to expose people.

Some simple ideas could be:
Decomposition Scanner: Let's you know how long a person has been dead.
ID Binoculars: Player can ID a body from a distance, but no other information is revealed.
Coroner's Guide: Determine EXACT cause of death. (without this it could be damage types only such as bullets, blunt force, fire)

When a player starts they are either randomly given 1-2 Detective Items/Knowledge, or they can choose them. This way you need to communicate more and more than one person needs to view a body to get all the relevant data. It makes you rely on your partners. The biggest issue is how to balance. What information should ALWAYS be universal on inspection, and what should be dependent on the viewer, and what else could possibly be added that's not over powered? The name of the dead guy should always be given, if they are I or T, all T info should be given out, and some kind of cause of death even if generalized.

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
Blan21
Poster

Tasteless wolf

« Reply #2195 on: January 27, 2010, 04:59:44 AM »

No items. Fox only. Final destination.

i like how im the only one who got that. I used to love that video.

anyways, once TDR servers get back up i will test this teleporter out. I will probobly be one of the only people to know about it since no one seems to know how to scroll down on the traitor weapon select page....
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2196 on: January 27, 2010, 05:19:41 AM »

I'm sorry if this comes out mean Jossi, but I'm a really big fan of my idea. I'd prefer it if you didn't take the opportunity to push your old idea some more.

Officer_BUlbock
Poster

oh god not the snorks nooo

« Reply #2197 on: January 27, 2010, 06:46:05 AM »

Having randomly selected detectives is a very interesting idea- doubles the chance of having a special round and mixes up the innocent dynamic considerably by giving the innocent people to rally around.

Innocent items would give people a little bit of variety, but it shouldn't really remove functionality that doesn't already exist.

Maps:
zm_air  zm_powderkeg  zm_voodoo  zm_endgame ttt_airbus ttt_siege
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #2198 on: January 27, 2010, 08:29:31 AM »

A detective killed earns you a traitor credit?

my god
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2199 on: January 27, 2010, 08:50:46 AM »

Is there anyway that you could make it so you can disable crosshairs all together in the f1 settings menu because I would love to have no crosshair while playing.

Sure.

RE: detectives,

I like the concept at first glance. It has pretty massive consequences especially balance-wise, even if you don't consider possible equipment and just look at the fact that the amount of traitor suspects is reduced. I'll need to think about it.

Maybe you could post a separate thread where everyone can discuss the concept in more detail, toss around equipment ideas, talk about balancing measures, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 ... 232
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length