Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:46:25 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 232
Author Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode  (Read 1699848 times)
Marphy Black
The Best Forum Member

Let's go kick some civilian ass!

« Reply #320 on: September 24, 2009, 12:21:15 AM »

I do not feel that either of the grenades are particularly useful. The incendiary grenade does relatively little damage upon the explosion, has a very small fire radius, and above all is quite easy to see and avoid. I suppose I could try cooking it a bit longer before throwing, but the explosion damage itself that might catch someone by surprise is still minimal. It's easy to avoid the fire afterward. I would like to use it as some sort of room clearer/camping deterrent, but right now it only provides a mild nuisance that forces players to move to a different corner. I once teamed up with a fellow traitor to throw two incendiary grenades into the same room with an innocent and neither did a single bit of damage. I think expanding the fire's radius significantly (Can anyone think of a reason why it would be bad for an entire room to get lit up? At least as a traitor-only perk to prevent real griefing) would give it a little more utility.

The smoke grenade, on the other hand, is almost entirely useless. The smoke screen is relatively small, doesn't last long, is quite transparent at close range, and doesn't stop your target's name from appearing when you aim at them. The last point makes it easy to shoot anyone in/through the smoke even if you can't actually see them, thus somewhat defeating its purpose. I would suggest increasing the smoke's lifetime and, if possible, somehow prevent players from seeing names through it. Also, in CSS when you walk into a smoke grenade's smoke, an opaque gray-colored overlay actually fades onto the screen, thus augmenting the smoke's effectiveness at close range. If that effect can be lifted, I think it would work just as well here.

One other crazy idea for the smoke grenade: Allow the thrower (Or just the traitor throwers) to see through the smoke. That way it can function as an effective offensive tool (Once again, against campers) rather than potentially hampering the thrower's own efforts.

"You are what I eat,
So much flesh, so much meat...
"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Revenant100
OctaneHugo
Build Tester

hey, prince, you need a shave

« Reply #321 on: September 24, 2009, 01:09:41 AM »

I whole-heartedly agree with both of marphy's suggestions. I would love to see a larger fire raidus so it can actually be an effective offensive and defensive weapon (area-denial and room clearing, specifically) and the smoke gernade definitely needs to be tweaked.

It's basically just like keeping your baby teeth when they fall out, except its a foot.
PzK
« Reply #322 on: September 24, 2009, 02:01:55 AM »

I'm unsure about this silent weapon. One of the cool factors I find about this game is that when a weapon is fired most people can hear it and distinguish what weapon it is. Which leads to people being suspicious of certain weapons and accusing others (paranoia makes this game). Also when you hear shots being fired it makes players alot more active and to choose weather to search where it came from or hold your position. I find a silenced pistol would ruin this since most traitors would use it, even if the model is different.

Also does anyone get a mini-adrenaline rush just before the moment of taking out an innocent? Like the anticipation of waiting for the right moment when no-one is looking and then bang. Never had felt that in a game since playing counter-strike 1.3 in clan matches where I was last one alive.

Anyways I agree with spreading the fire range of incendiary grenade, this would be a good weapon for those who like to barricade in rooms(like me) and force them out.
Pwnzor
Poster

« Reply #323 on: September 24, 2009, 02:20:13 AM »

A silenced pistol would be win!  The crowbar should go back to one hit headshot because that always came in hand for a silent kill.
The plant able bomb and the Armour all sound great.

I think a crossbow with really low ammo but was a one hit kill would be awesome.
Milo
Build Tester

« Reply #324 on: September 24, 2009, 02:27:57 AM »

Something to do with physics, in order to deal with barricading, would be great. Maybe make the plantable bomb have heavy physics pushback?
catbarf
Poster

Volcano junkie.

« Reply #325 on: September 24, 2009, 02:42:03 AM »

I'm unsure about this silent weapon. One of the cool factors I find about this game is that when a weapon is fired most people can hear it and distinguish what weapon it is. Which leads to people being suspicious of certain weapons and accusing others (paranoia makes this game). Also when you hear shots being fired it makes players alot more active and to choose weather to search where it came from or hold your position. I find a silenced pistol would ruin this since most traitors would use it, even if the model is different.

Also does anyone get a mini-adrenaline rush just before the moment of taking out an innocent? Like the anticipation of waiting for the right moment when no-one is looking and then bang. Never had felt that in a game since playing counter-strike 1.3 in clan matches where I was last one alive.

Anyways I agree with spreading the fire range of incendiary grenade, this would be a good weapon for those who like to barricade in rooms(like me) and force them out.

On the other hand, people can tend to figure out who did it or where just by knowing where the person was and who they were with. Having a silent weapon for stealth kills wouldn't hurt.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #326 on: September 24, 2009, 03:21:53 AM »

I think equipment which allows you to hide your identity would be a good substitute if taking someone else's name proves overpowered.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Qloos
Poster

« Reply #327 on: September 24, 2009, 03:25:30 AM »

For special equipment, how about a ghetto blaster which you can set to play weapon fire after a specific amount of time.
MidKnight
Poster

« Reply #328 on: September 24, 2009, 05:53:07 AM »

Ok I have this weird issue with TTT. When I play I get these inverted green triangles above peoples heads. I can see them through walls but they disappear after about 20 ft. They don't distinguish between traitors or innocents. Here's some pics:

Apparently some people have these and some don't. What is going on?
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #329 on: September 24, 2009, 07:47:20 AM »

I don't like the idea of name changing. With microphones, it's easy to figure out who's who.

True, I suppose a traitor could just not speak that round, but that could be suspicious. Or if you mean you couldn't disguise as someone with a mic, that's also true. Still, it could be useful in specific situations and you could just pick a different piece of equipment when it's not.

But I would like to see a way for a traitor to take on someone who is hiding behind a barricade. A lot of people just camp and say 'Don't come to x or I shoot' and then the traitor is just screwed.

Yeah, this is why when people talk about TTT specific maps (or converting maps), they mention two entrances for every room. That makes barricading a lot harder, especially if there are two traitors who can rush in at the same time after throwing nades.

TGB, could you make it so that any text your typing when you die is sent anyway wth a "-" at the end like they do it in Hidden:source?

I looked at this a few days ago. It's a bitch to do in gmod, so I've put it on the backburner for now.

I think expanding the fire's radius significantly (Can anyone think of a reason why it would be bad for an entire room to get lit up? At least as a traitor-only perk to prevent real griefing) would give it a little more utility.

Agreed.

The smoke grenade, on the other hand, is almost entirely useless.

A problem is that if I significantly increase the amount of smoke, people's stone age computers will die. I can however attempt to decrease transparency and increase lifetime (though it won't fade out as nicely anymore). I'll see if I can find a better sprite as well.

I can't block identification through smoke.

I might be able to replicate the CS:S effect, but it would be pretty hard. Hence I'd like to try different things first.

Something to do with physics, in order to deal with barricading, would be great. Maybe make the plantable bomb have heavy physics pushback?

It would probably have that automatically through the big explosion, but if not that's a good idea.

Ok I have this weird issue with TTT. When I play I get these inverted green triangles above peoples heads. I can see them through walls but they disappear after about 20 ft. They don't distinguish between traitors or innocents. Here's some pics:

Apparently some people have these and some don't. What is going on?

I have no idea. These are definitely not created by TTT. Could it be a malfunctioning admin plugin or something?

Has anyone seen them before in gmod gamemodes?
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #330 on: September 24, 2009, 10:06:10 AM »

Distraction baby?

I kid I kid, though the nades do need a buff.

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
Andyp
Poster

« Reply #331 on: September 24, 2009, 03:48:19 PM »

Is it really that hard just to kill the guy on sight?

Yes why not, afterall if someone murders somebody in the real world it is common sense that you should be able to just murder them. That would never cause utter chaos and the breakdown of our society.

Bit of an over the top analogy but can you see where im coming from? If everyone just becomes a cuntbag to deal with the cuntbags we have tons of cuntbags running around fucking up what was a perfectly good game. Why should i have to be a dick just to deal with other dicks? Only weak people do that because they dont have the balls to be a decent person and rise above the shit, but hey whatever if you like being a dicksniffer be a dicksniffer but dont try to drag me down with you.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 03:49:34 PM by Andyp »

The true Anthem of England: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJNic_XSwBo&feature=related
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #332 on: September 24, 2009, 05:53:38 PM »

Perhaps something for the smoke grenade could be done to remove seeing names through the smoke. A players name will not show up through transparent brushes or models. So windows block names as do the chainlink fences (both of which also have bullet penetration). Perhaps at the grenade a custom transparent nonclipping object or brush could be spawned to block the name thing?

Also I've been thinking of a few map ideas that might work with ttt. Basically make the terrorists actually have some kind of complicated plot to carry out. The impetus of the idea was thinking about the movie Die Hard.

Set up a heist that involves a few stages. Things like get into the building, and lock it down. Then cut off communication and power. Set up a drill and start cutting into the vault (which requires at least one person nearby for a certain length of time). Then blast into the vault and steal the goods. It gives the terrorists something to do to "win". If anyone better at mapping wants the idea by all means go for it.

This would require a ZM style win entity though I believe?

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
Sarge
Poster

Here's Simon!

« Reply #333 on: September 24, 2009, 06:07:13 PM »

Yes why not, afterall if someone murders somebody in the real world it is common sense that you should be able to just murder them. That would never cause utter chaos and the breakdown of our society.

Bit of an over the top analogy but can you see where im coming from? If everyone just becomes a cuntbag to deal with the cuntbags we have tons of cuntbags running around fucking up what was a perfectly good game. Why should i have to be a dick just to deal with other dicks? Only weak people do that because they dont have the balls to be a decent person and rise above the shit, but hey whatever if you like being a dicksniffer be a dicksniffer but dont try to drag me down with you.
Well first, fuck you and your moral high ground.

Second, if a guys dming just have everyone in the server band together and kill the guy until he rage quits. It's not that hard.
But fine, if you want to tip toe around the issue and rather cry to someone else instead of dealing with it yourself, whatever.

Secone: hello sarge-sannn~~ Secone: uguu~~~ Secone: don't you think I am kawaii sarge-chann~!~
Quote from:  Worbat drunk
Sarge: Night night worbat! Worbat: niiiiiiiighty nig0hte           sargei awargie[/quote]
Notary
Poster

United forever for friendship and labour

« Reply #334 on: September 24, 2009, 06:18:02 PM »

Env_lazer usually can dissolve dead bodies but in TTT it can not. I tryed lazers to dissolve sneaky folks trying to jump into the traitor checker machine in groups but their bodies still remain in the world making doors stuck sometimes.

Made in the USSR

My level design gallery
eeny
Build Tester

+1

« Reply #335 on: September 24, 2009, 06:26:30 PM »

Well first, fuck you and your moral high ground.

Second, if a guys dming just have everyone in the server band together and kill the guy until he rage quits. It's not that hard.
But fine, if you want to tip toe around the issue and rather cry to someone else instead of dealing with it yourself, whatever.

Or you know, contact a server moderator. Soduka's server has alot of them who are usually on and can take of the problem. The TDR server I know has a good number of moderators, because its TDR and they always have alot.

Nobody Expects the Malkavian Inquisition!
Sarge
Poster

Here's Simon!

« Reply #336 on: September 24, 2009, 06:34:04 PM »

Or you know, contact a server moderator. Soduka's server has alot of them who are usually on and can take of the problem. The TDR server I know has a good number of moderators, because its TDR and they always have alot.
That to.
I was just making a passing comment trying to help and he calls me a "dicksniffer" and a weakling. Fuck him.
It's people like him that are going to get a punishment system added and it's going to ruin TTT.

Secone: hello sarge-sannn~~ Secone: uguu~~~ Secone: don't you think I am kawaii sarge-chann~!~
Quote from:  Worbat drunk
Sarge: Night night worbat! Worbat: niiiiiiiighty nig0hte           sargei awargie[/quote]
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #337 on: September 24, 2009, 07:35:26 PM »

The C4 bomb is complete. I pasted some menu screenshots together. Plant the bomb and press USE to get the arming menu (first screen), set a time and code (second screen) and press "Arm". Then run away or something. The bomb will have a soft beep while armed. You can attempt to disarm an armed bomb by USEing it (third screen). As a traitor, you might know the code from a buddy, as innocent you could guess it (1 in 1000 of getting it right). After successfully disarming (fourth screen) you can carry the bomb around with the magneto and re-arm it elsewhere (as traitor or as innocent).

The whole disarm key thing is probably not that useful in-game, but I wanted to write it anyway.

Env_lazer usually can dissolve dead bodies but in TTT it can not. I tryed lazers to dissolve sneaky folks trying to jump into the traitor checker machine in groups but their bodies still remain in the world making doors stuck sometimes.

I believe clientside ragdolls in Source have special dissolve code (for the HL2 combine ball and such). Serverside ragdolls probably don't have it. Is there no entity that simply removes other entities? Serverside ragdolls should be affected by something like that (unlike clientside ones).

Perhaps something for the smoke grenade could be done to remove seeing names through the smoke. A players name will not show up through transparent brushes or models. So windows block names as do the chainlink fences (both of which also have bullet penetration). Perhaps at the grenade a custom transparent nonclipping object or brush could be spawned to block the name thing?

The area the smoke covers varies a lot depending on the surroundings. I could just dump in a brush that would block names, but what if the grenade exploded next to a wall or a large prop? The smoke would bounce off, but the smokeless area covered by the brush would still block names. I'm not entirely sure how CS:S handles this.

Anyway, I don't feel like working on the smoke grenade more right now. I've already made it a lot more effective at blocking vision, that's enough for now. It doesn't have to be the ultimate traitor weapon.
Notary
Poster

United forever for friendship and labour

« Reply #338 on: September 24, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »

I've just tried trigger_remove and it did the job. Could be useful to remove dead bodies in other situations to hide traitor's evil actions.

Made in the USSR

My level design gallery
Gamerofthegame
Poster

I'm after you, Worbat!

« Reply #339 on: September 24, 2009, 08:49:34 PM »

Hm. A idea, that possibly might be flat out overpowered, for traitor perks is some sort of...

... Spiderman tool. Basically, a grapple.

Lets you pick a point (within range) and it will draw you toward it - Like Batman! Maybe also will let you stick until you have it 'let go', too, so you can have SURPRISE CEILING SHOTGUN or something, but I imagine that might cause... Problems. Would allow a lot of new freedom of movement for a traitor (Imagine using it on canyon! Even appts...) while being... Extremely obvious.

It's not a good tool for those trying to be flat out subtle, as someone getting up to a area (Or traveling up a wall) where one can't really usually access is sort of suspicious, eh?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 232
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length