Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:46:48 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 232
Author Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode  (Read 1699881 times)
Al_Ka_Pwn
Build Tester

"Used Furniture Salesmen"

« Reply #420 on: September 27, 2009, 05:23:51 PM »

what the fuck happened to that? b/c I would so fucking love to have that back.

Est deus in nobis, agitante calescimus illo
Shadow_Archmagi
Build Tester

Zeppking

« Reply #421 on: September 27, 2009, 05:24:07 PM »

Agreed. Beating worbat at checkers would totally pass the time

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/brindlemovienight Movies! Xcoms!
"You died a noble death. Also, if that baby that was always near you was yours, it died a noble death too."
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #422 on: September 27, 2009, 05:26:15 PM »

I always run my gmod windowed. A disadvantage from switching away (to type bug notes in my case) is that you don't hear the voicechat anymore.

Anyway, for a minigame that at least keeps people involved in the game, I had a random idea while I was playing that you could have a kind of who-dies-next bingo. List of all the living players' nicknames you can put in the order in which you think they will die. If you get all of the deaths that occur after yours correctly you win something, or whatever.

Not sure about that idea, but I think minigames that are related to the goings-on of the round might be an option.

It sounds like a random vague happening nor do I think there's much debugging info to gather from this.

Indeed, we'll see if it happens more or if it was a one off.

edit:
Yeah, those Steam things are what I was thinking of. Sucks that they're gone.
catbarf
Poster

Volcano junkie.

« Reply #423 on: September 27, 2009, 05:44:17 PM »

Okay everybody, here's a thought.

When you're in a group of a bunch of people, and without warning, you throw a grenade into that bunch of people, you are just begging to be shot. I don't care if it's smoke, you can't expect me to look at the thing as it flies through the air, identify the color from 10ft away in an instant and say 'Oh, he's just being silly throwing grenades around oh ho ho' and not react. And worse still, someone threw an incendiary grenade, I shot them, they were a traitor, and yet I got added to the RDM list.

People act like I'm randomly shooting people, as if I'm the person at fault. What the fuck? What do you think is going to happen when you throw explosives at other players? How's it any different from shooting a rifle at them?
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #424 on: September 27, 2009, 05:45:50 PM »

Beating shadow at checkers would never get old.

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
OctaneHugo
Build Tester

hey, prince, you need a shave

« Reply #425 on: September 27, 2009, 05:58:43 PM »

Okay everybody, here's a thought.

When you're in a group of a bunch of people, and without warning, you throw a grenade into that bunch of people, you are just begging to be shot. I don't care if it's smoke, you can't expect me to look at the thing as it flies through the air, identify the color from 10ft away in an instant and say 'Oh, he's just being silly throwing grenades around oh ho ho' and not react. And worse still, someone threw an incendiary grenade, I shot them, they were a traitor, and yet I got added to the RDM list.

People act like I'm randomly shooting people, as if I'm the person at fault. What the fuck? What do you think is going to happen when you throw explosives at other players? How's it any different from shooting a rifle at them?

The only time I don't react to things like this is during setup, when I simply run away.

It's basically just like keeping your baby teeth when they fall out, except its a foot.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #426 on: September 27, 2009, 06:40:48 PM »

Some future feature discussion:

Hiding the fact that someone died until someone else discovers the body is something we've discussed. After giving it some thought over a period of time, I've concluded it is impossible to completely prevent clients from being able to find out someone is dead (without finding the body), if they have the means of running clientside Lua code in their console.

The most basic form is using a console command to execute one line of Lua code to print out for each player whether they are alive or dead. All Source games send that information to the client. Now theoretically I might be able to use some hacks to turn players into spectators without technically killing them. And without switching their team. I say theoretically because none of this would be easy at all and likely to take several buggy versions to find all the different edge cases where things break. However, if successful, clients would not be able to judge if someone is dead or not using those aspects.

But that wouldn't be enough, because clients can also see if other players are noclipping, or have other spectator-specific properties (having zero weapons, just to name a random one).

The point being that I don't believe I can realistically prevent ALL earmarks of someone being dead from finding their way to the client. And if they're on the client, someone determined to be lame will be able to find them. It doesn't matter if I prevent 90% of the earmarks because that 10% will still be extremely easy to see.

So two options:
1) No body discovery features or only limited ones (eg. seeing if someone was traitor, what bomb codes he used, miscellaneous TTT-specific information like that).

2) Proper body discovery features, trusting players not to be lame haxors (perhaps assisted by ScriptEnforcer and attempts at blocking the Lua-executing console commands).

The advantages of option two are pretty obvious. The disadvantage is that a hypothetical lamer could have more information at his disposal than honest players.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 06:42:32 PM by theGreenBunny »
catbarf
Poster

Volcano junkie.

« Reply #427 on: September 27, 2009, 07:08:23 PM »

I like it as it is. People don't kill other people randomly, because everyone will know that they did it.
Qloos
Poster

« Reply #428 on: September 27, 2009, 07:28:08 PM »

The crowbars secondary push feature is extremely hard to pull off unless the target is standing still.  Change it so that it doesn't induce a cooldown time if the player doesn't hit anyone.
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #429 on: September 27, 2009, 07:48:01 PM »

More achievements.

Silent but Violent - Kill 2 people with the silenced pistol.
CMOAR - Blow up one person with C4, yes that deserves one as well.
Bored - Play 10 games of pong. (requires pong to be added or checkers or what ever.)

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
FF|NedStar
Poster

Look into my eyes.

« Reply #430 on: September 27, 2009, 07:48:53 PM »

That causes more problems than it solves, IME

IME? And windowed works fine for me unless you start using older games like hl1.

text

I'm not sure if putting that much effort into it is worth it. I'd go for option 1. As long as people can "cheat" the system in some way, then it will no doubt happen.
I'd love to see kill messages totally being removed but by the sound of it there's always some way to find out if a person got killed or not.
I think it works pretty good as it is, its a shame that you can find out that someone died but then again it also helps speed up matches.

You're so buttmad faggot an admin who rdms and ghosts and lets his friends aimbot what a classy faggot, thank god half your server consists of asslickers otherwise nobody would play on your shitty server.
CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #431 on: September 27, 2009, 08:17:35 PM »

So any chance of totally random player models? So when people find a body they can distinguish between people, rather then just seeing yet another dead body that could be anyone. Like:

Terrorist01 is an arctic terrorist. Someone finds an arctic terrorist body. Then everyone goes CSI to find out who was last in that area. Or even if it was Terrorist01 in the first place.

And maybe people could pick which terrorist they can play as in the start up, only once. So people can really figure out "Hey Terrorist01 picked to play as such and such"

Edit:

And this goes into requiring people to get more custom content but it could be very useful. You could pick out a bunch of custom terrorist themed playermodels from garrysmod.org and then in the start up people can only pick one custom model so everyone is unique. People cannot change their models unless they leave the server. And no two people can be the same model. But this might not be good cause no one likes downloading a ton of models before they get to play.

This can also add to a disguise tool for traitors like being able to simply look like an innocent, not name.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 08:27:07 PM by CrazyChicken »

Most Neutral Poster
Release: ZM_BlackMesa1, TTT_Bank, TTT_Backalley
All my maps start with "B" hmm...
OctaneHugo
Build Tester

hey, prince, you need a shave

« Reply #432 on: September 27, 2009, 09:06:19 PM »

DUNDUNDUN

It's basically just like keeping your baby teeth when they fall out, except its a foot.
FF|NedStar
Poster

Look into my eyes.

« Reply #433 on: September 27, 2009, 09:10:45 PM »

Haha, yeah I love how messages and mic's get cut off.

You're so buttmad faggot an admin who rdms and ghosts and lets his friends aimbot what a classy faggot, thank god half your server consists of asslickers otherwise nobody would play on your shitty server.
Notary
Poster

United forever for friendship and labour

« Reply #434 on: September 27, 2009, 09:40:51 PM »

I'm not sure whether this belongs to TTT but move_rope entity is completely screwed up. That's either it attached to absolutely random point in the map or disappears completely. When I tested it alone everything seemed fine.

That's how it should be:

That's how it appears during the game:

Ropes attached to physics objects (cables at cropfield in countrytrain) seem to be removed always.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 09:48:28 PM by Notary »

Made in the USSR

My level design gallery
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #435 on: September 27, 2009, 10:04:55 PM »

How does it look in gmod sandbox? Or does it happen with a released version of the map that I can test with myself? I hadn't noticed weird ropes when playing on it.
Notary
Poster

United forever for friendship and labour

« Reply #436 on: September 27, 2009, 10:14:07 PM »

Yes, it is in released version, you may test it. Ropes start from top of the train and are parented to the elevator

I've just run it myself, both thething and countrytrain in sandbox and TTT, all single player.

In sandbox everything is fine.

In TTT singleplayer ropes never follow the elevator at Thething (just remain at the bottom like they were never attached to it) and a bit of metal at countrytrain (the one you attach to electric pole). Even though they were parented by mapper. Whenever I played it on any available TTT server I've never seen ropes at all or saw them screwed up.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 10:15:12 PM by Notary »

Made in the USSR

My level design gallery
catbarf
Poster

Volcano junkie.

« Reply #437 on: September 27, 2009, 10:23:04 PM »

So any chance of totally random player models? So when people find a body they can distinguish between people, rather then just seeing yet another dead body that could be anyone. Like:

Terrorist01 is an arctic terrorist. Someone finds an arctic terrorist body. Then everyone goes CSI to find out who was last in that area. Or even if it was Terrorist01 in the first place.

And maybe people could pick which terrorist they can play as in the start up, only once. So people can really figure out "Hey Terrorist01 picked to play as such and such"

Edit:

And this goes into requiring people to get more custom content but it could be very useful. You could pick out a bunch of custom terrorist themed playermodels from garrysmod.org and then in the start up people can only pick one custom model so everyone is unique. People cannot change their models unless they leave the server. And no two people can be the same model. But this might not be good cause no one likes downloading a ton of models before they get to play.

This can also add to a disguise tool for traitors like being able to simply look like an innocent, not name.

Downloading custom models would kill the chance of pubbies joining and would make it so much more a pain in the ass for little benefit.

What I like most about the game right now is how all you need are some LUA files and a map.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #438 on: September 27, 2009, 11:48:05 PM »

I just thought of an amazing sequel name:

"Catastrophe in Counterterrorist County"

You're all the most fucking heartless people
catbarf
Poster

Volcano junkie.

« Reply #439 on: September 28, 2009, 12:30:02 AM »

I agree with swapping the fire rates of the Deagle and Shotgun. Right now the deagle is spectacularly useless but the shotgun kills everything.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 232
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length