Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 09:13:46 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [Idea] Whispering or some kind of proximity based voice chat.
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: [Idea] Whispering or some kind of proximity based voice chat.  (Read 12291 times)
AttackingHobo
Poster

« on: June 04, 2010, 07:04:18 PM »

First off, is it even possible in the source engine to capture the voice coms, and have them play out of virtual speakers in the environment? If not, is it possible to limit who hears the audio based on some criteria?

I have been in multiple situations where the people I am around are definitely not the traitor, and I want to tell the people in the group some information that I don't want the traitors hearing. Like, "I just heard somone get killed with a HUGE", because I want to tell everyone in my group to be watchful for someone with a HUGE, but I don't want the traitor who is away from our group dumping the HUGE somewhere.

Some kind of whispering functionality would be great for this. It could only transmit the audio to players in a certain distance, so anyone away from the area would not be able to hear it.

It would be a great addition to the game, being helpful while being an innocent, as well as traitors having fun with a separated innocent.

What do you guys think?
Killroy
Build Tester

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 11:15:27 PM »

I know you can have voice transmit to a certain radius (RnL for the most recent example) but who knows if the whole "play through ingame speakers" thing works.

But that would be AWESOME.

I clicked on that link, but quickly closed the tab before it loaded upon realizing that the file name was whalecock.jpg.
UnInvincible
Build Tester

SANTA SHAMBLER SEIZURE!

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 11:22:23 PM »

Voice chat radius in general was suggested a long time ago, and I think BKU shot it down. He may have said that it's not possible with Garry's Mod, but I'm not sure.

I fully support this idea though.

my game keeps crashing as it loads, (i have all the expansion packs including the apartment life) and i am hearing that it might possibly be a custom content problem? how do i remove custom content?
Swiftfreddy
Poster

Party bus will reign supreme

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 11:28:07 PM »

I am pretty sure that is exactly what RnL does. I was amazed when it sounded like voices were coming from the people in the room's direction.

I suggested an area-of-effect type voice chat before and it got mostly denied but I still think it is a great idea.

Right now, I rarely play on server when there are more than 12 players, a lot of people have mics and people are always speaking over eachother and therefore missing when someone is saying "___ Is the traitor hel-"

I feel this would bring us back to how TTT used to be, you would actually want to try and trust some people (hang out in a group) so you can hear them/they can hear you nearby and so you don't get caught alone by a traitor. Right now people pretty much go off on their own and hope they win as an innocent.
eeny
Build Tester

+1

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 01:30:50 AM »

Voice chat radius in general was suggested a long time ago, and I think BKU shot it down.

I think he was against the idea of a fully proximity based chat system, as opposed to the option to use a secondary chat to do proximity based talking.

Nobody Expects the Malkavian Inquisition!
UnInvincible
Build Tester

SANTA SHAMBLER SEIZURE!

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 01:47:46 AM »

Yeah that's kind of what I meant, I guess it wasn't very clear. I still think that he knocked it for technical reasons too, though.

my game keeps crashing as it loads, (i have all the expansion packs including the apartment life) and i am hearing that it might possibly be a custom content problem? how do i remove custom content?
AndyTheGeeky
Build Tester

Wannabe Zoidberg

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 01:49:39 AM »

I'm fairly sure it was GMod-based technical limitations, something about Garry locking down voicechat and that what we've got now is the best he could do cleanly.

Signature Pending...
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 06:54:28 AM »

I have very few ways of affecting voicechat. I certainly can't reroute it anywhere or do spatial things. I can only do a sudden cutoff from a certain range, which sucks (don't try to convince me on this point, it sucks).

As for the other possibilities:
- A special key for ranged voicechat still has the nasty cutoff, as well as bringing all the headache-inducing issues I've had to deal with just to get traitor chat working.

- Text chat with range, like a /whisper command, is perhaps the most feasible. It would be easy to scramble when you're almost in range, and such.

- I'll at least investigate the voicechat in the normal SDK code and see how it could be done there. Perhaps it could be done in gmod if I got garry to add some specific Lua bindings. Not very likely though.
Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 08:46:17 AM »

The thing is that most well organised terrorists would all have walkie talkies which could easily cover at-least 2km range.
So the audio cut-off thing wouldn't really work as the radios would have a larger radius than any source map I've actually seen.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TyrantGrandburnin
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 02:24:15 PM »

I don't know how much they had to alter the Source Code but Resistance and Liberation managed some really nice voice localization.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jUXrir-lnA

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
Silverstream
Poster

Project Suburb Developer

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 05:44:40 PM »

If the Dev team of Resistance and Liberation are willing to offer the source code responsible for this "3D voice audio" to BKU this might after all work out.

Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 05:56:25 PM »

So that's why my idea was ignored... Well hmm, maybe they would do it. I hope so, I think that would work so perfect for ttt.

Just grab some bottles and stick them in girls...
CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 07:39:25 PM »

DarkRP has something like this but its not mic related its a big annoying chat system. Basically every time you type you have to put /a or /w or something to specify how far your going to talk. I didn't like the system but then again I didn't really like DarkRP. Maybe something like this could be helpful in TTT as long as it wasn't a big sloppy list of commands you'd have to memorize.

Most Neutral Poster
Release: ZM_BlackMesa1, TTT_Bank, TTT_Backalley
All my maps start with "B" hmm...
phoenixf129
Poster

I Rise from the Ashes.

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 09:48:14 AM »

maybe add /w Whispering, and /l for local chat, via the chatbox with tags...

Software Upgrade Paradox - If you improve a piece of software enough times, you eventually ruin it.
AttackingHobo
Poster

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 03:46:38 PM »

I don't know how much they had to alter the Source Code but Resistance and Liberation managed some really nice voice localization.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jUXrir-lnA

That is exactly the kind of thing that I am looking for. Maybe we could bug their team and ask them for some code :)

The thing is that most well organised terrorists would all have walkie talkies which could easily cover at-least 2km range.
So the audio cut-off thing wouldn't really work as the radios would have a larger radius than any source map I've actually seen.

In real life, if everyone had a radio, and I wanted to convey a message to a guy standing next to me, I would tell him in person, instead of over the radio, especially if I wanted to only give that info to him. That is what I would like to be see be emulated in game.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 08:53:09 AM »

Good news, buddies, gmod dev person AzuiSleet has added locational voicechat stuff to gmod.

No information yet on exactly how it works, if servers can force it on, configure the range, and other such things.
Joest
Build Tester

ZM's Resident Furfag

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 11:40:08 AM »

Sounds awesome.

I love cats. My cat ambushed me when I got out of the shower and attacked my dick.
AttackingHobo
Poster

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 05:12:02 PM »

Good news, buddies, gmod dev person AzuiSleet has added locational voicechat stuff to gmod.

No information yet on exactly how it works, if servers can force it on, configure the range, and other such things.

Yay it is possible in GMOD :D
that guy
Build Tester

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 08:36:56 PM »

Wait, hasn't proximity voice been on RP for like, ever?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:38:04 PM by that guy »

I want to know who was the first person to rub barrels, must of been an epic moment like discovering fire or your sisters vibrator.
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »

The reason BKU never liked it before is because the voice chat would just cut off at x distance. Now there is attenuation to it and it's become something actually worthwhile and logical.

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
Pages: [1] 2
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [Idea] Whispering or some kind of proximity based voice chat. « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length