Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 09:21:03 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [Idea] Whispering or some kind of proximity based voice chat.
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: [Idea] Whispering or some kind of proximity based voice chat.  (Read 12298 times)
Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 08:47:38 PM »

This wouldn't be that bad if it used a separate key to the generic radios.
I wouldn't want to choose which I had to use with 1 key.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TyrantGrandburnin
Slix
Poster

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 12:13:21 AM »

Good news, buddies, gmod dev person AzuiSleet has added locational voicechat stuff to gmod.

No information yet on exactly how it works, if servers can force it on, configure the range, and other such things.

It's going to be controlled in the LUA PlayerCanHearPlayersVoice hook. Right now it returns a boolean indicating whether Listener should hear Talker, but if this modification is added to Gmod, it will probably also return a boolean indicating whether you want the listener to hear it as positional.

It's that simple because the Source engine already supports positional voice and it's enabled almost exactly like this in the C++ source code. :P However, range can't really be controlled. From what I can tell, positional voice works just like normal Source sounds do, but there doesn't seem to be any way of controlling voice volume or how far it travels. :(

http://twitter.com/FacepunchBot/status/17229673877
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:28:58 AM by Slix »
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 03:50:55 AM »

@Slix

Then in a sense, technically we'd always be hearing somebody when they're across the map, just at a volume of zero, or .01?

Just grab some bottles and stick them in girls...
Slix
Poster

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 04:02:28 AM »

@Slix

Then in a sense, technically we'd always be hearing somebody when they're across the map, just at a volume of zero, or .01?

Yes, that's a small issue. The other ones are the hud notifications of speaking on the top-left and the voice icons above people's heads. I think a forced cutoff at a certain distance when voice is already inaudible could work, which means that the server wouldn't even notify the player that someone on the other side of the map is speaking. However, this means that audio icons wouldn't show up until a player gets within range. (It also means that it would be harder for someone to hack into their client and extract voice data.)
AttackingHobo
Poster

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 06:08:34 PM »

Well we now can enable positional audio that is global! YAY.

I still think would be cool to have this feature under a separate button, so you can talk to everyone if you want to, but you can also talk to people next to you, but I don't know if that is possible to have both modes mixed.
Silverstream
Poster

Project Suburb Developer

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 06:41:21 PM »

Despite the "Broken Garrys mod update", around 20 minutes ago I tested out locational voice chatting via "ttt_locational_voice 0/1 default: 0" using TTT Version 02-07-'10 in my server with a few people.

Everything seemed to be working fine. Our voices faded in and out as they should rather than simply cutting out completely.

Before testing this, I was told locational voice wasn't working. Apparently it is :D.
AttackingHobo
Poster

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 08:23:15 PM »

Despite the "Broken Garrys mod update", around 20 minutes ago I tested out locational voice chatting via "ttt_locational_voice 0/1 default: 0" using TTT Version 02-07-'10 in my server with a few people.

Everything seemed to be working fine. Our voices faded in and out as they should rather than simply cutting out completely.

Before testing this, I was told locational voice wasn't working. Apparently it is :D.

What is your server, I want to come by to check out the positional audio, as the servers I went on to last night were unwilling to try out positional audio.
Pages: 1 [2]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [Idea] Whispering or some kind of proximity based voice chat. « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length