Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:56:27 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 [184] 185 186 187 ... 232
Author Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode  (Read 1700545 times)
Darkebrz
Poster

« Reply #3660 on: October 18, 2010, 12:45:36 AM »

How about if a traitor gets an innocent friend to do it for them and, for instance, kill 10 people huddled around a traitor checker because they never heard the beeping?

If you're going to do graphics, why not implement that Mastermind idea instead? That can't be exploited and actually requires some panic-fueled problem solving.

That could be done with the old C4 also.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #3661 on: October 18, 2010, 04:43:55 AM »

How about the traitor tells an innocent friend who all the other traitors are, and ruins every round that way? Normal traitors won't have an innocent friend who will happily kill himself like you suggest, and normal traitors are the only traitors worth dealing with. After all, cheating traitors could just download a scriptenforcer bypass and aimhack everyone to death if they're intent on ruining the game.
Because doing the C4 thing is, quite simply, more fun. It's also much less traceable and the reaction people will have ("what the fuck where did that come from oh shit we all died") is way better than simply killing traitors on sight.

I liked the old system because if you actually got to the C4 early, you could reliably defuse it. Now when you get to a C4 early, there's still a random chance element of blowing yourself up and a ton of innocents who have yet to evacuate. Who will even bother?

Of course neither of us will know how it turns out until it's released, but I'm fairly confident in my speculation.

EDIT: Have you ever considered the prospect of a gas-type C4 that renders the area around it poisonous for a while? Kind of like an area denial thing.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:46:23 AM by Ajunk »

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3662 on: October 18, 2010, 08:05:25 AM »

A while ago the time penalty for getting a code wrong was increased to make brute forcing hard/risky, because that method made C4 with longer timers useless. Finding C4 should not equal guaranteed defusion + traitor DNA = free traitor kill. Now, finding C4 means you either take the risk of disarming (which if the C4's timer was 45 sec really isn't a big risk), or you get at the traitor's corpse to find the bomb info, or a detective uses the Defuser. None of these options comes free, which is exactly how it should be. If that means innocent players just try to avoid the C4, that's fine (no DNA for you). They already did with the old system, and at least this one isn't exploitable, and neither does it break longer C4 timers.
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #3663 on: October 18, 2010, 01:05:35 PM »

Apparently there's a glitch where your screen is red all game. I think it involves being hit pre-round. If anyone knows more that would help, because I haven't had it happen to me, just other people.

Just grab some bottles and stick them in girls...
Fuffe
Poster

Crummycradle was a mistake

« Reply #3664 on: October 18, 2010, 06:17:22 PM »

Can we get a picture? It sounds really nice!

In case anyone's still curious:

Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3665 on: October 18, 2010, 06:37:43 PM »

Uses parts of the actual C4 texture, very authentic (also I'm no artist).

Apparently there's a glitch where your screen is red all game. I think it involves being hit pre-round. If anyone knows more that would help, because I haven't had it happen to me, just other people.

Yeah I'd need more info on that one. Maybe it's when you get hit exactly when the round starts?

The whole red screen effect comes from gmod/the engine, so there might not be much I can do about it.
zoobird
Poster

« Reply #3666 on: October 18, 2010, 07:06:37 PM »

The whole red screen effect comes from gmod/the engine, so there might not be much I can do about it.

I had something like this happen, and I thought it was just my PC.  To fix it I just recorded a demo real quick.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:08:07 PM by zoobird »
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #3667 on: October 18, 2010, 09:02:42 PM »

A while ago the time penalty for getting a code wrong was increased to make brute forcing hard/risky, because that method made C4 with longer timers useless. Finding C4 should not equal guaranteed defusion + traitor DNA = free traitor kill. Now, finding C4 means you either take the risk of disarming (which if the C4's timer was 45 sec really isn't a big risk), or you get at the traitor's corpse to find the bomb info, or a detective uses the Defuser. None of these options comes free, which is exactly how it should be. If that means innocent players just try to avoid the C4, that's fine (no DNA for you). They already did with the old system, and at least this one isn't exploitable, and neither does it break longer C4 timers.
How was the old system exploitable in a way this one isn't, exactly?

Anyways, I don't see why you're going to such lengths to make longer timers more useful. Just because it's an option doesn't mean it has to be as useful.

Players running in to find the C4 were already taking the risk of death because they have no idea how long it's been ticking or when it'll blow (until it's too late), so I wouldn't exactly call it "guaranteed defusion" or "free traitor kill" or "risk free" at all. This new system has more of a double risk if you ask me: both finding it and diffusing.

In my opinion, actually getting to the C4 without it blowing up on you and having enough time to extract the code was definitely enough work to earn DNA which might not even make it to the hands of a detective.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 09:04:29 PM by Ajunk »

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3668 on: October 18, 2010, 09:06:55 PM »

The old system leaked information: by observing the time while someone attempts a disarm code that you know is wrong, you could see if it went down by several seconds or not. If it went down, the person was not a traitor, because traitors did not get a disarm penalty to avoid instant-explosions. Hence, getting your hands on disarmed C4 as innocent/detective meant getting your hands on a traitor checker.

Not really interested in further discussion of C4 mechanics.
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #3669 on: October 18, 2010, 10:19:31 PM »

One round the detective was different than what it actually was for me. The person who actually was the detective looked innocent, and a traiotr(probably could of been anyone in the glitch, but it ended up being him) looked like the detective to me. I thought I was rdmed by a detective, and was even further baffled by him burning bodies, and placing c4. It turned out he was a traitor, and this was some sort of visual glitch. Any ideas? lol cause I don't feel safe by detectives anymore. xD If you can understand..,

Zachary
Poster

Hey! A C4 with 5 seconds left! :D

« Reply #3670 on: October 19, 2010, 12:57:19 AM »

One round the detective was different than what it actually was for me. The person who actually was the detective looked innocent, and a traiotr(probably could of been anyone in the glitch, but it ended up being him) looked like the detective to me. I thought I was rdmed by a detective, and was even further baffled by him burning bodies, and placing c4. It turned out he was a traitor, and this was some sort of visual glitch. Any ideas? lol cause I don't feel safe by detectives anymore. xD If you can understand..,

I was on the same server as you. That was a custom disguise item, as it took a person's name along with their title (Innocent/Detective). Honestly frustrated the hell out of me for the most part since I had no idea it was on that server until I left (only grew slightly suspicious when I was being shot by Innocs/Detecs at random times, figured people were just being dumb).

The only solution: Play on servers using the official versions, I figure. The last server I was on had an item that actually checked for weapons from a good distance away. Lasted three rounds before losing my mind after detectives kept spotting C4/Flare Guns like it was a life-threatening disease.
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #3671 on: October 19, 2010, 01:00:24 AM »

No, you were not on the same server as me. It was a glitch. I was on a vanilla server.

Zachary
Poster

Hey! A C4 with 5 seconds left! :D

« Reply #3672 on: October 19, 2010, 01:06:20 AM »

No, you were not on the same server as me. It was a glitch. I was on a vanilla server.

Really? Could've sworn I'd seen your name before. Apologies then.
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #3673 on: October 19, 2010, 01:44:32 AM »

We probably have played before. I play on a lot of servers. ;D

Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3674 on: October 19, 2010, 08:13:08 AM »

The player roles (innocent/detective/etc) get synchronized on several occasions during a round. I'm not sure how it could get glitched out like that, but I doubt it's a structural issue with the game as this is the first time I've heard of it.
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #3675 on: October 19, 2010, 09:33:33 AM »

Yea, I've never had the problem before. It's probably just a 1 time situation, and will probably never happen again. Another rare, and single time glitch was being able to see missing in action while I was a detective. I think I reported that one though.

Raneman
Poster

Shitposter

« Reply #3676 on: October 20, 2010, 12:08:43 AM »

You really need to fix the poltergeist, the only person I've been able to kill is myself for some reason, because when I shoot it upwards it sticks to my face.
EDIT: I suppose I shot my mask.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:12:40 AM by Raneman »
Darkest_97
Poster

Hi.

« Reply #3677 on: October 20, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »

Does the F1 help menu have any css textures or whatever in it? Because someone joined a server without css and they couldnt read F1 so they couldnt learn how to play.
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #3678 on: October 20, 2010, 01:17:33 AM »

It's because they didn't download the files for the f1 tutorial. This happens a lot. I'm sure someone can explain why it doesn't download, even if it's supposed to be.

For future problems like this, just tell them to read what it says at the bottom of the screen when the round starts. It provides a brief description of what your role is, as well as what to do I believe. I started doing this when I got fed up with people somehow not getting the tutorial files on joining.

Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3679 on: October 20, 2010, 07:21:41 AM »

The tutorial is included with gmod gcf as well. You don't need to auto-dl it. I don't get how that works for most people and doesn't for others.

You really need to fix the poltergeist, the only person I've been able to kill is myself for some reason, because when I shoot it upwards it sticks to my face.
EDIT: I suppose I shot my mask.

If these servers contact me with the code of their mask stuff, I can see if I can make it shoot through them masks, or tell them how to make masks non-shootable. Without code there's nothing I can do.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 [184] 185 186 187 ... 232
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length