Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 09:11:58 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 ... 232
Author Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode  (Read 1699071 times)
Lapis Lazuli
Poster

« Reply #3320 on: August 15, 2010, 07:30:59 AM »

Have you ever considered adding the AWP as a part of the Traitors equipment arsonal? I was thinking it could be interesting if the Traitor had an awp which needs to be charged, ala TF2, and having it charged makes it extremely powerful but a liability seeing how big it is and making the player incredibly slow.

As for the way the game plays right now, I've been playing for a few weeks and I prefer haste mode. However, I think haste mode could be more interesting and I think it would be more interesting if rounds were shorter with less overtime. The reason why is that I feel the aspect of haste should be quick rounds, and having a shorter time limit will promote innocent players sticking together even more so. I feel the worst part about TTT is the rather obtuse waiting time that occurs between rounds, especially if you are the one innocent who is killed at the beginning of the round. I think this is fine for non-haste game, but for haste I don't feel like the traitors are as pressured by the time limit as they should be. I feel a shorter time limit by default will make rounds more enjoyable too. As long as the time received from kills is enough to kill a few people, the time limit should eventually balance itself out.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3321 on: August 15, 2010, 08:14:15 AM »

A stronger sniper hasn't made its way onto my list so far. I think it would need some way to make it interesting, more than just making you slow in various ways (firing, movement). Perhaps make it a beam weapon (hence showing the shooter's approx. location) that instagibs your target but has a longish delay between shots.

If the overtime is long, then wouldn't that indicate the extra time added by a death is too long?

A problem with lowering the default times is that the amount of time traitors need is influenced by the map. It might make certain maps incredibly hard. And as a traitor, more often than not the time limit feels low. Going further down might just degrade games into gunfights as traitors feel pressured to do something. Their perspective is quite different from that of a dead innocent.

In the end it needs testing. For admins interested in tweaking times, the convars are:
ttt_haste_starting_minutes (default 5)
ttt_haste_minutes_per_death (default 0.5)

I don't think it's useless. The problem is the c4, not the defuser. People just spam 111, 222, 333... Etc. The time punishment for setting it for 10 minutes is REALLY low as well. Probably should of brought this to BKU's attention sooner.

You're not the first one to figure this out. A problem is that changing the mechanism will completely change the weapon's balance, where it seems pretty good right now. Hence, it hasn't been a priority for me.

One thing I would like to encourage is longer fuse times. I don't remember if the wrong code penalty is already time dependent, but if it is I can change that to be much, much harsher the longer the fuse is. A 10 minute C4 should be impossible to disarm unless you have a defuser or the code.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:33:23 AM by Bad King Urgrain »
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #3322 on: August 15, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »

Nope, the 10 minute one is really easy to defuse last time I checked. I can double check this though. I thought the time penalty for the 10 minute c4 was only like 10 seconds, or something ridiculously short when compared to the 1 second penalty for 45-60 seconds. :o

Just grab some bottles and stick them in girls...
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3323 on: August 15, 2010, 10:17:24 AM »

Heh, it looks like due to a typo there was a bug where instead of the penalty being a minimum of 1 second, it was a maximum of 1 second. So a 10 min C4 still got a 1 second disarm penalty instead of a 60 second one (the formula was meant to be: the initial fuse duration in seconds divided by 10). Suffice to say I'll be fixing that. In addition I'll be making the penalty rise much quicker as the fuse time is set higher. I think I'll also make it show the penalty time when arming a bomb to encourage people to use longer timers.

We'll just have to iterate a little on the balancing. Can't be that bad, at worst Defusers become too important.
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #3324 on: August 15, 2010, 10:38:19 AM »

Another thing, I was just playing on a CS map like 5 minutes ago, and the bomb still activates the flames on the maps when planted at the bomb site. They stay there permanently. Is that intentional, or is there no way to fix it from activating the maps bomb scenario? Just curious. Specifically the map was de_chateau. It really wasn't that bad of a thing, considering it was almost like an added trap to the map itself.

Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3325 on: August 15, 2010, 11:53:23 AM »

It's not intentional. I guess those flames are set to activate when explosion damage occurs there. Can't really do anything about that.

Different topic: I can confirm the detective hat sometimes lags behind the wearer when lag compensation occurs. I'm looking for a fix, if there is none I will be disabling the hats for now (just defaulting the convar to be off).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:55:09 AM by Bad King Urgrain »
Marauder8
Build Tester

Future Emperor of Antarctica

« Reply #3326 on: August 15, 2010, 12:15:39 PM »

Have you ever considered making the Silenced pistol show up as a regular pistol kill when a player looks at the body? Mabye a Detective can tell if it was a silenced pistol or not, too.

THIS RAINCOAT IS FROM THE DEVIL
AndyTheGeeky
Build Tester

Wannabe Zoidberg

« Reply #3327 on: August 15, 2010, 12:41:29 PM »

Realistically speaking, I don't think there's any difference between the bullet hole made by a 9mm bullet from a regular pistol and a silenced one.

Related suggestion: detective ability to tell very rough range of the killing shot - powder/burn marks, shotgun/MAC10 fire spread, etc.

Signature Pending...
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3328 on: August 15, 2010, 02:37:02 PM »

Allright, bunch of changes are now in the SVN.

I figured out how to make hats bonemerge properly, which fixes lag-related issues where it would fly around a bit. Downside is that it's harder for me to adjust the hat position, so for now I've disabled it for models where it clips through their head. It will now also fall off when you shoot a detective in the head, whether he's killed or not.

Other things:
- As mentioned here, C4 has bigger disarm penalties.
- UMP aim jitter effect is much stronger. Perhaps too strong, hard to test by myself.
- Disguised traitors don't appear on detective radar.

Have you ever considered making the Silenced pistol show up as a regular pistol kill when a player looks at the body? Mabye a Detective can tell if it was a silenced pistol or not, too.

Silenced pistol is plenty powerful.

Don't see the point of a rough range indication: the gun that was used already tells you that.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #3329 on: August 15, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »

Could you make the bomb lock you out from trying more combinations instead of removing the time? That is to say, instead of reducing the time by X seconds for wrong guesses, you're not allowed to enter any numbers for X seconds.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Darkest_97
Poster

Hi.

« Reply #3330 on: August 15, 2010, 06:33:13 PM »

If your interested BKU, the radar thing i got (FCVAR_SERVER_CAN_EXECUTE) i fixed.

I started to make a map and i dloaded v8 and put it in my gmod folder, so i had a gamemodes/terrortown directory(which i didnt have to even do cause i had it installed already, but it said in the mapping giude so i did).
And i thought maybe that was screwing with it, so i deleted cl_radar(i think it was, ill check later) and now my radar works.

And im curious, where was all the ttt stuff previously if it wasnt in gamemodes/terrortown ?
FF|NedStar
Poster

Look into my eyes.

« Reply #3331 on: August 15, 2010, 06:58:52 PM »

I ask because I have switched back and forth using the equipment switch key (V), which uses lastinv internally, and have not seen issues.

I assume this is "Last weapon used" under the keyboard > combat tab? Which is actually what I'm using apparently rather then a manual bind.

Could you give me a full sequence of actions where this issue occurs, and one where it works properly? Like what buttons you press, etc. Assume you start with the basic inventory, plus a primary weapon.

Lets say my inventory would be default without any extra weapons.

First weapon I hold out is my crowbar and then I switch to a magneto stick. I can use fast weapon switch now to switch back to my crowbar, and from my crowbar I can switch back to my magneto stick.
Now I switch to unarmed and use fast weapon switch. This is where the problem occurs, I'm unable to switch from unarmed to any other weapon by using fast weapon switch. I am however able to switch from a weapon (crowbar,primary,nade) to unarmed, just not able to go back from unarmed to any other slot by using fast weapon switch.

You're so buttmad faggot an admin who rdms and ghosts and lets his friends aimbot what a classy faggot, thank god half your server consists of asslickers otherwise nobody would play on your shitty server.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3332 on: August 15, 2010, 07:17:59 PM »

If your interested BKU, the radar thing i got (FCVAR_SERVER_CAN_EXECUTE) i fixed.

I started to make a map and i dloaded v8 and put it in my gmod folder, so i had a gamemodes/terrortown directory(which i didnt have to even do cause i had it installed already, but it said in the mapping giude so i did).
And i thought maybe that was screwing with it, so i deleted cl_radar(i think it was, ill check later) and now my radar works.

And im curious, where was all the ttt stuff previously if it wasnt in gamemodes/terrortown ?

I don't know why that fix would work, but hey it works.

The TTT Lua stuff was always in gamemodes/terrortown. The textures and stuff used to be in /materials/ etc, but is now (in v9) in /gamemodes/terrortown/content/materials and so forth. If that's what you mean.

Could you make the bomb lock you out from trying more combinations instead of removing the time? That is to say, instead of reducing the time by X seconds for wrong guesses, you're not allowed to enter any numbers for X seconds.

Why is this better? Lockout makes it risk-free to try a code as long as there's sufficient time on the clock to stroll away. Time penalty makes it risky, because who knows how long that bomb has been there and what its original fuse time was. Hence defusers are more useful.

"Last weapon used"

Yeah, I've reproduced this. Not at all sure why it happens, but I'll poke at it a bit.
edit: Ah, fixed. Fix is in SVN.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:35:37 PM by Bad King Urgrain »
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #3333 on: August 15, 2010, 08:44:11 PM »

Time penalty makes it risky, because who knows how long that bomb has been there and what its original fuse time was. Hence defusers are more useful.
Just from my experience, nobody ever sets the bomb to anything more than minimum time. The time penalty isn't really an issue, you just stroll up to the bomb and go "111" "222" "333" etc. as fast as you can until you have the answer, and it works every time so long as there's around 30 seconds on the clock.

If you ask me, the best strategy would be to tell players how many numbers are in the right spot when they guess and have no time penalty. But, you know, you don't want to listen to my blathering.

Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #3334 on: August 15, 2010, 09:02:06 PM »

It can be done in around 10 seconds, sadly. I've done it before. You have to be very fast, and very accurate with your clicks. Thank god it doesn't use the numpad.

Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3335 on: August 15, 2010, 09:34:58 PM »

The time penalty isn't really an issue
[...]
But, you know, you don't want to listen to my blathering.

Hi Ajunk. Did you read that one post, six places above your initial question? It's informative! It addresses the problem! I'll go over it again for the benefit of, well, you. Hopefully you can take time out of your busy schedule of being a smartass to read a post. Here we go:

As I already posted, the disarm penalties were broken, causing them to be almost nonexistent. This very afternoon, they have been fixed and overhauled to work as intended. They are much, much higher in the latest SVN build. At lower fuse times, you already need to be early in finding the bomb in order to try all the 111, 222, etc options. From 3 minutes and up, it's no longer possible even if you start disarming immediately after it's planted. You just don't have enough attempts before it blows, even in that purely theoretical case. Sure, you could get lucky, but you're more likely to just get blow up.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #3336 on: August 16, 2010, 04:32:23 AM »

Nice to see you're as cheery as usual.

Players don't really set the bomb to any time higher than the minimum because there's no guarantee the players will still be there in 3 minutes, let alone not hear the beeper and evacuate. Such a pathetically low number of players actually try to diffuse the bomb anyway, since simply standing back and warning players is much more reliable, easier, and effective. Going to find the bomb is a suicide mission since the bombs are usually very well hidden and you practically can't tell the time left, and the reward is unreliable (due to detective requirement) and pretty much just leads to a cornered traitor going postal on you if you do get anywhere.

But I mean obviously you knew all this already. You know the code like the back of your hand, so that must mean you know how players take to the game just as well. Clearly anyone attempting to convey any sort of advice based off of their personal experiences is a smart ass, and they should be punished for making you suffer so.

Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #3337 on: August 16, 2010, 05:22:38 AM »

I can find it very easy, with at least 20-30 seconds left, usually more, and still defuse it. Not trying to call you out, but It's true. Maybe it's just me though.

worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #3338 on: August 16, 2010, 07:45:14 AM »

Ajunk fails to see other uses for the C4, and that BKUs system is fine.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:48:16 AM by worbat »

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3339 on: August 16, 2010, 07:52:18 AM »

We will see how the C4 changes affect things.

But I mean obviously you knew all this already. You know the code like the back of your hand, so that must mean you know how players take to the game just as well. Clearly anyone attempting to convey any sort of advice based off of their personal experiences is a smart ass, and they should be punished for making you suffer so.

Posting feedback does not make you a smartass. These kind of smug, sarcastic look-at-me remarks make you a smartass:
But, you know, you don't want to listen to my blathering.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 ... 232
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length