Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 02:39:01 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 ... 232
Author Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode  (Read 1702370 times)
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3040 on: July 19, 2010, 08:04:17 AM »

If someone changes their name in game it gets cut off on the scoreboard at some random place. Clicking on it fixes it but yea. I havent seen a pattern.

I know. I just don't have any particular desire to facilitate name changing. I'm still considering methods of countering it, in fact (like caching someone's name when they join).

And i just got this error:
Timer Error: terrortown\gamemode\vgui\ScrollLabel.lua:25: attempt to index field 'Scroll' (a nil value)

I hope garry hasn't broken scrollbars. Will look into it.

If you teleport, and then are hit by a Discombobulator/Newton launcher, you will telefrag whoever is on the other side without actually teleporting.

Odd, because it moves the teleporting player before it telefrags anyone. I'm assuming the discomb/newton successfully pushes you?
Sly
Poster

« Reply #3041 on: July 19, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »

Odd, because it moves the teleporting player before it telefrags anyone. I'm assuming the discomb/newton successfully pushes you?

When successfully pushed by the newton/discombobulator, perhaps you move out of the box of teleportation, missing your jump.

Perhaps immobilize the player when teleporting?
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3042 on: July 19, 2010, 04:06:53 PM »

The player is immobilized, or at least frozen. The problem was that the discomb/newton manipulate the player's velocity, and it turns out that's not prevented by gmod's freezing functionality. It was easy to fix by making the discomb/newton/crowbar take frozen players into account.

I have also further improved the teleportation effects to show the form of the teleporting player in the destination position, so players can avoid telefragging if they're alert. Might post a little movie of that later.

edit:
Video here. I should've used a lighter map, and youtube randomly cuts the video slightly short, but perhaps the idea is clear.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:36:40 PM by Bad King Urgrain »
Darkest_97
Poster

Hi.

« Reply #3043 on: July 19, 2010, 05:46:41 PM »

I hope garry hasn't broken scrollbars. Will look into it.

I havent seen any scrolling problems in the tab menu. But i got this error when some people were fighting and a traitor died if i recall correctly. So it was moving him on the scoreboard probably changing the amount of scroll or something that has to do with it. If that helps.
JoTheShmo
Poster

« Reply #3044 on: July 19, 2010, 10:30:23 PM »

The detectives are on the side of the terrorist organisation, looking to root out the traitors/infiltrators. Internal security, if you will. Some other names were considered, like inquisitor or whatnot, but detective is most clear about their gameplay role.
You're talking about the admin logs right? I suppose I could add the SteamID there.

I mean the end-of-round report thing.
You could have it save the steamID to the round-end thing, and then once the round is over, just hook up the steamIDs with the correct name.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3045 on: July 19, 2010, 10:48:47 PM »

The event log shows the nickname at the time of the event because people who disconnect during a round should still show up in it.

Again, I would much rather work on preventing namechanges than facilitating them. Being able to change your name is the root problem and will continue to cause pain until it's prevented or at least strongly discouraged. I have some ideas.
Sly
Poster

« Reply #3046 on: July 20, 2010, 12:28:12 AM »

Why not just prevent players from changing their names during a map?
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #3047 on: July 20, 2010, 04:02:29 AM »

Name tags...! Ha, but really, I hope that gets fixed. Somebody was running around killing people and taking their names on a ttt server I was in, very unpleasant.

Just grab some bottles and stick them in girls...
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3048 on: July 20, 2010, 08:07:30 AM »

Why not just prevent players from changing their names during a map?

I have no way of preventing players from doing so. The only thing I can do is store their initial name as early as possible (on map load or when they join) and displaying that instead of what they've currently set as their name in Steam. Then those stored names have to be properly synchronized across all players, because it's unacceptable for one player to see a different name because he lagged out for a bit (and gmod's standard tools for this often prove unreliable in such a situation, resulting in more work for me).

The question isn't what to do, but how to do it without unexpected side effects or other issues.

First order of business will be a mechanism for automatically kicking+tempbanning players who change their name (and preferably filtering out their changed name from the kick message shown to players). This should be fairly safe compared to the widespread changes required for the method I described above. Perhaps a kickban approach will even be sufficient to make people stop.
NaRyan
Poster

Less QQ more Pew Pew

« Reply #3049 on: July 20, 2010, 10:36:54 PM »

While it would be nice to have a method to stop players changing their name, and then using the retry command so it shows up.
However would the method cause problems with a sourcemod plugin I use.

The plugin removes MW2 colour code from a players name, when they join the server\gamemode change.
So instead of the ^1P^2l^3a^4y^5e^6r it renames them and only show it as Player.

As while the name changing is annoying, players who have a name full of MW2 colour codes are just as annoying.

Gimme a joint and 3 hours and I can come up with a logical system for karma :D
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3050 on: July 21, 2010, 08:40:46 AM »

Your mention of the retry command just made me realise that any caching-based namechange measures I could add could be circumvented by just reconnecting, unless I make them even more complex, so those are off the table for now. This also means it's useless to try and prevent people from changing their names when they're dead/spectator: they can just disconnect->change name->rejoin.

If I limit a namechange kick to living players during a round, I can at least prevent players stealing the names of dead opponents. That shouldn't interfere with plugins like the colour code remover, as they would already have changed the player's name before they were even alive.

There would be a convar to turn it off either way.
Darkest_97
Poster

Hi.

« Reply #3051 on: July 21, 2010, 06:56:47 PM »

Players could change there names before by reconnecting, and that wasnt a problem and it shouldnt be. So why does that make a difference? In game during a round is the problem.

Edit: I always meant to ask, why doesnt pushing bodies work anymore, all i get them to do is move back and forth a little then go flying backwards. Is it because you can pick them up now?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:30:28 AM by Darkest_97 »
Darkebrz
Poster

« Reply #3052 on: July 22, 2010, 01:47:06 AM »

On the subject of picking up bodies, it is way to damn hard. If I kill someone, then say have 15 seconds to throw it over a bridge, there should be no problem. But finding the perfect spot to pick up the body is hard, and then any sort of jerky movement causes you to lose it.
NaPStone2
Poster

I AM UNORGINAL SO I USE THIS GIF

« Reply #3053 on: July 22, 2010, 02:41:49 AM »

Alright, Not Sure If This Has Benn Posted, but WTH.
In The Tips Screens, Beacons Are Still Referenced, although they have been removed.
such as, As A Detective, Buy Beacons To Call Everyone Over To An Area, or Right Click With Certain Items To Place On Walls. (Radios, Beacons, C4 etc.)

Speaking of that, can radios even be placed on walls?

maybe u shud w8
then stream got time 4 ur rqest later
and u downlad
CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #3054 on: July 22, 2010, 02:44:30 AM »

Speaking of that, can radios even be placed on walls?

Yes.

Most Neutral Poster
Release: ZM_BlackMesa1, TTT_Bank, TTT_Backalley
All my maps start with "B" hmm...
NaPStone2
Poster

I AM UNORGINAL SO I USE THIS GIF

« Reply #3055 on: July 22, 2010, 02:46:34 AM »

Note To Self: Radios On The Ceilings.

maybe u shud w8
then stream got time 4 ur rqest later
and u downlad
Darkest_97
Poster

Hi.

« Reply #3056 on: July 22, 2010, 03:40:31 AM »

Has it been thought of to drop ammo? I assume somebody has probably said something about it.
Darkebrz
Poster

« Reply #3057 on: July 22, 2010, 03:49:34 AM »

Note To Self: Radios On The Ceilings.

Note To You. Don't Capitalize Every Word.
Joest
Build Tester

ZM's Resident Furfag

« Reply #3058 on: July 22, 2010, 04:07:24 AM »

Has it been thought of to drop ammo? I assume somebody has probably said something about it.
I'm not sure if it has, but it would be great if the ZM ammo throw could be implemented.

I love cats. My cat ambushed me when I got out of the shower and attacked my dick.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3059 on: July 22, 2010, 06:21:27 AM »

Edit: I always meant to ask, why doesnt pushing bodies work anymore, all i get them to do is move back and forth a little then go flying backwards. Is it because you can pick them up now?

Pushing a ragdoll is just a glitchy affair on Source's physics.

On the subject of picking up bodies, it is way to damn hard. If I kill someone, then say have 15 seconds to throw it over a bridge, there should be no problem. But finding the perfect spot to pick up the body is hard, and then any sort of jerky movement causes you to lose it.

The best spot to pick up the body is always the stomach/thigh area right in the middle of the corpse.

Lag is a factor with regards to dropping it when moving too suddenly. I'll see if I can make ragdoll carrying a bit easier, but if I make it too forgiving people will start slinging bodies across great distances.

Alright, Not Sure If This Has Benn Posted, but WTH.
In The Tips Screens, Beacons Are Still Referenced, although they have been removed.

Fixed.

Don't want to spend a button on it. In fact at this point, it would have to be on F2 or F3 or something silly. I have plans for a radial menu (think L4D voice commands) for advanced options like that, which would avoid the limited number of standard keybinds. Then ammo giving will become more likely.

I guess I could put a temporary ZM-like ammo dropping command on one of those F-keys if people want it?
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 ... 232
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length