Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 06, 2024, 11:32:11 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 ... 232
Author Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode  (Read 1691494 times)
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #2400 on: February 20, 2010, 04:48:12 PM »

give me a pink name and I will give you money

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
Firespray
Build Tester

:-(

« Reply #2401 on: February 20, 2010, 07:03:12 PM »

give me a light green name and I will give you money

Z3RO: Tanners sister isnt bad looking :v
Firespray: New sig
Z3RO: noooo

holocalls traumatize worbat
that guy
Build Tester

« Reply #2402 on: February 20, 2010, 08:24:05 PM »

give me a flashing name and I will give you money

I want to know who was the first person to rub barrels, must of been an epic moment like discovering fire or your sisters vibrator.
CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #2403 on: February 20, 2010, 10:57:18 PM »

Someone made a TTT thread on Facepunch they gave you credit but figured I'd post it here anyway.
http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=892559

Most Neutral Poster
Release: ZM_BlackMesa1, TTT_Bank, TTT_Backalley
All my maps start with "B" hmm...
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2404 on: February 20, 2010, 11:35:23 PM »

Glad to see they like it.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Nel
Poster

« Reply #2405 on: February 21, 2010, 12:06:29 AM »

Not really a big issue, but could you make it where detectives are announced as detectives when someone confirms their death?  Half of the players don't even notice that a detective was found since it says "Blah blah blah" was an innocent terrorist!
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2406 on: February 21, 2010, 02:18:22 AM »

I also kind of think body inspection should say they're a detective (blue D) instead of innocent.

Chief Tiger
Poster

What.

« Reply #2407 on: February 21, 2010, 03:17:05 AM »

Why am I getting this error (I've been getting it forever, but it doesn't seem to affect anything)

Lua Error: ERROR: GAMEMODE:'PlayerInitialSpawn' Failed: terrortown\gamemode\player.lua:65: attempt to call method 'CheckPlayerReconnected' (a nil value)

It's in the server console.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 03:35:00 AM by Chief Tiger »

Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2408 on: February 21, 2010, 03:44:21 AM »

Alright, the footstep mechanic needs to be fixed. As it stands, it's really quite useless because of how spaced the footprints are. Here's some solutions I came up with:

- Instead of marking everywhere someone steps with the footstep decal, mark it with an invisible marker. When the player comes within a certain range, the footsteps appear. Kind of like a "I can only see these things when I'm close enough" thing. That way you can throw down all the shit you want (1 footstep = 1 footprint) and not overflow decals... I think.

- Use trails instead of decals. Looks less cool but with a custom repeating footprint patterns it could pass. It's also really easy and you can have a lot of it.

Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2409 on: February 21, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »

Not really a big issue, but could you make it where detectives are announced as detectives when someone confirms their death?  Half of the players don't even notice that a detective was found since it says "Blah blah blah" was an innocent terrorist!

Yeah, this has been bugging me and is on the list (including a blue D icon).

Why am I getting this error (I've been getting it forever, but it doesn't seem to affect anything)

The function it tries to call but which doesn't exist on your server is a function from the Fretta base that TTT derives from, ie. it's included with gmod. So it sounds like another case of something being modified/missing on your server.

footsteps

Neither of your solutions works. The first because of <pretend there is a wall of text here>, the second because sprite trails are created serverside (don't ask me why) and would therefore be visible to all players (they are not implemented in Lua and cannot be modified).

I'm strongly considering just scrapping the footstep mechanic. Trying out potential solutions, all of which are long shots, doesn't seem to be worth it, because the information of the footsteps is hard to make use of in practice. On crowded servers there's a huge mess of them, unless their lifetime is reduced to the point where they fade out too quickly.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:46:30 AM by Bad King Urgrain »
TheDmac
Poster

« Reply #2410 on: February 21, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »

A suggestion. Maybe a recruit a traitor option? Requires minium of say, 4 traitors (16 players) and when 1 traitor gets killed, 1 of the living traitors gets the option to recruit someone for 2 points. To do this, they walk up to someone and hand them something (a knife maybe?) and they have no access to C menu, just a knife, traitor chat and the traitor status. The person has a option to decline or accept.

www.VersonoGaming.net
Australia TTT Server - Custom Content.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2411 on: February 21, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »

I'm strongly considering just scrapping the footstep mechanic. Trying out potential solutions, all of which are long shots, doesn't seem to be worth it, because the information of the footsteps is hard to make use of in practice. On crowded servers there's a huge mess of them, unless their lifetime is reduced to the point where they fade out too quickly.
Damn.

Is there any substitute to decals you could use, like sprites?

Chief Tiger
Poster

What.

« Reply #2412 on: February 21, 2010, 05:12:30 PM »

The function it tries to call but which doesn't exist on your server is a function from the Fretta base that TTT derives from, ie. it's included with gmod. So it sounds like another case of something being modified/missing on your server.

Well, in shared.lua I changed the line where IsFretta() is supposed to return true to return false. Could that be causing it and is it any big issue if I have that error?

Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often.
C.Mong
Poster

DNR Owner

« Reply #2413 on: February 21, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »

A suggestion. Maybe a recruit a traitor option? Requires minium of say, 4 traitors (16 players) and when 1 traitor gets killed, 1 of the living traitors gets the option to recruit someone for 2 points. To do this, they walk up to someone and hand them something (a knife maybe?) and they have no access to C menu, just a knife, traitor chat and the traitor status. The person has a option to decline or accept.

Maybe if it's a one use thing randomly given to a single traitor, so we don't suddenly have 8 or 9 traitors.

www.dnr-gaming.com
AndyTheGeeky
Build Tester

Wannabe Zoidberg

« Reply #2414 on: February 21, 2010, 06:00:12 PM »

This sounds like a great idea adding a level of self-determination to the game.

Signature Pending...
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2415 on: February 21, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »

Opens up a lot of abuse. Betray another traitor to the innocent so they kill him, and you get to pick your friend as a new traitor.

Damn.

Is there any substitute to decals you could use, like sprites?

I'm not using decals, I'm using gmod's Lua-based effects, in order to do proper fading and removal after a certain time period. As you might have noticed, decals do not go away until explicitly cleared en-masse at the start of a new round, so they can't be used here.

There is no substitute that would work for footsteps. Effects are used appropriately, the limit is just too low to make it feasible.

Well, in shared.lua I changed the line where IsFretta() is supposed to return true to return false. Could that be causing it and is it any big issue if I have that error?

Yes, don't do that. You should use "fretta_voting 0" to disable the Fretta gamemode voting instead. The voting + reconnected player tracking is just about the only Fretta thing TTT uses, so it will achieve the same thing without causing errors.

The error itself will not cause big issues, but will cause Karma not to be restored upon reconnecting. However, there is literally no reason to change IsFretta() rather than disabling fretta_voting. In fact I may decide to remove it completely seeing as it's a holdover from when Fretta support was being tested and is no longer necessary.
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #2416 on: February 21, 2010, 06:24:38 PM »

Could you randomly assign a shoe size to a person and then when a person is dead if you have the detector it adds a box saying.

"There are footprints around here;
number 1
number 2" One of them is the innocents shoe size which is found out again by having the detector equipped and you look at the ragdolls feet.

Just a rambling idea.

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
Soduka
Poster

« Reply #2417 on: February 22, 2010, 04:06:13 AM »

Is there a way you can create one master "SK switch" to have TTT lite? Take all the nifty, great things you have created and worked towards bug free, but more back to how SK was. Not a condemnation of what TTT is now because that is equally as fun, moreso I'd say. However, I thought it would be fun to be able to take the cool interface, the automatic traitor assignments, and more or less leave it at that.
AndyTheGeeky
Build Tester

Wannabe Zoidberg

« Reply #2418 on: February 22, 2010, 04:11:52 AM »

TTT Lite is probably a more likely candidate for the Fretta contest, too.

Signature Pending...
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2419 on: February 22, 2010, 05:06:29 AM »

I think that ttt would be better for fretta with detective mode off (that is to say, dead players are immediately identified, not to be confused with not having detectives) and not having detectives. People are more ADD and don't have time for that kind of thing. Besides, it's more like "It's the rapid-fire version of Trouble in Terrorist Town".

Bug: When a detective dies and has last words, the name appears in green instead of blue.

Suggestion: When you or a detective have ID'd a body, the info's in the scoreboard next to a magnifying glass. Can a little magnifying glass appear next to the name of bodies you already have the info on? It's mostly for the detectives but as innocent it could be useful.

Suggestion: Could you pleeeeeasse include the detective's binoculars which can identify unidentified bodies from a distance before you cease updating? It would be extremely valuable.

Suggestion: Could you remove the teleporter from the detective's item menu? It's original use (populate the item menu while more are created) is over and it encourages coward detectives instead of detecting detectives. Besides, since it's fine for innocents to run around with one of these, it's kind of lost it's weakness of revealing you when you use it and sounding distinct.

Suggestion: Could you mark to fellow traitors when a fallen traitor has credits on his corpse via the scoreboard? Nobody really bothers to use that mechanic / knows about it otherwise, and as far as backstory goes (traitors ordering equipment from HQ) it makes perfect sense.

Final Suggestion I Promise: TTT has so many little mechanics that are hard to find out about without word-of-mouth (i.e. you can tag people on your scoreboard, traitors get credits for killing detectives, traitors can find unused credits on detective and traitor corpses, etc.). Ever think of adding a "tips" box for spectators? If you do, buttons to cycle previous and next tip are also a good idea, cause I remember how much I enjoyed that feature in Bioshock 2.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:42:08 AM by Ajunk »

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 ... 232
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length