Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:49:25 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [Server] TGPServ w/ TTT (Vanilla v.28)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: [Server] TGPServ w/ TTT (Vanilla v.28)  (Read 15895 times)
tgp1994
Poster

« on: December 22, 2011, 06:09:38 PM »

I've been setting up a vanilla TTT server for awhile, I just wanted to let everyone out there know that I'm hosting one. I have lots of ttt_* maps, some CS:S recharge scripts, as well as more than enough zm maps (some I'm not so sure can really be played with TTT, but what the heck), and I've also thrown in a few RP maps with recharge scripts. To try to get into the holiday spirit, I've added as many winter/Christmas themed maps as I could find :P

The only things you'll be downloading from my server are the map and the lua cache, no other fancy content. I must apologize for my (in comparison to business-line) horrible upload speed. I have about 2,000Kbp/s up on a U-verse subscription, which is good enough for hosting a server, but not for uploading maps. So if people do join, I'll just need people to be patient as others download the map :(

I don't have any specific rules, just the common sense ones are in play.

Thanks for checking this out, happy holidays, and I hope to see everyone there!

(I would appreciate constructive server-hosting criticism from any veteran hosters out there, but again, I can't do much about the upload speed :P)

Server IP/URL: tgpserv.rr.nu
Website
nrich588
Poster

WzG Owner

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 06:56:05 PM »

Website needs fixing, use a better style than the default phpbb style.
Rent a host from a server provider, I'd go with a VPS or a Dedicated Server.
tgp1994
Poster

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 07:19:07 PM »

Website needs fixing, use a better style than the default phpbb style.
Rent a host from a server provider, I'd go with a VPS or a Dedicated Server.

Yeah, website needs work... I'm trying to host without spending any money though. I'm in it for the fun of being able to run a server with people in it, but not to the point where I have to put money into it.
GrayScare0
Poster

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 06:16:19 PM »

I would suggest you update your posts on your forums.  The TTT MOTD topic claims that you have a points system and in-game store (though this was from a few months ago), and from your post here, it would seem that that is no longer the case.

Last year I experimented with using only holiday maps on Christmas and a few of the days surrounding it.  I don't think we really had enough of them to keep things interesting, but if you do, I like the idea.  I believe we used that Christmas town RP map (rearmed), some Nipper Christmas map, and maybe another map or two.  I would suggest just using anything decent with snow on it.  You could do the ones I have described plus cs_office, the two The Thing maps, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting.

It's always nice to see another vanilla server, though.  Good luck to you.
tgp1994
Poster

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 07:31:03 PM »

I would suggest you update your posts on your forums.  The TTT MOTD topic claims that you have a points system and in-game store (though this was from a few months ago), and from your post here, it would seem that that is no longer the case.

Last year I experimented with using only holiday maps on Christmas and a few of the days surrounding it.  I don't think we really had enough of them to keep things interesting, but if you do, I like the idea.  I believe we used that Christmas town RP map (rearmed), some Nipper Christmas map, and maybe another map or two.  I would suggest just using anything decent with snow on it.  You could do the ones I have described plus cs_office, the two The Thing maps, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting.

It's always nice to see another vanilla server, though.  Good luck to you.

Thanks GrayScare0,

You're absolutely right, that MOTD needs updating. I was playing around with the idea of installing some sort of more CMS-oriented software like Joomla for MOTDs and whatever else struck my fancy, instead of making forum topics...

I believe I do have most of those maps already, amazingly (and of course as many other TTT-playable maps as I could find). That would be difficult to keep things fresh with as many holiday themed maps as there are.

I greatly appreciate the input, thank you!
tgp1994
Poster

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 03:33:23 AM »

I'd just like to let everyone know,

Since I'm going to be gone for an extended period of time, and since there doesn't seem to be much traffic going to the server, I'll be taking it down until the New Year.

Thanks!
Anonymous
Poster

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »

Hi there Tgp. I did enjoy this server. So, if you want I'll build you a proper website for you.

nrich588
Poster

WzG Owner

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 02:16:05 AM »

Don't, listen, to, him, he uses shitty software :V

Phpbb is great, it's about as good as you'll ever need.
Handy_man
Poster

SNG community admin

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:34:54 PM »

Its hardly building if he uses any free software as any monkey can install and setup PHPBB etc.

[b]
Sky-netgaming.com
nrich588
Poster

WzG Owner

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 07:09:26 PM »

Anon uses some shitty BB software, god only knows where he found it. Phpbb is fine. Work on server quality over website quality.
Anonymous
Poster

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 12:23:29 PM »

Actually I meant building a sort of template around the BB Software he already has thus making it a nice site. and I don't use PHPBB I use VBulletin. Anyways, I meant coding it from scratch in HTML, CSS, PHP and Javascript.

nrich588
Poster

WzG Owner

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »

Yeah, it's a trap....
Handy_man
Poster

SNG community admin

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »

Didn't you comment just the other week why comment code anon? i doubt your ability to make any kind of dynamic (and secure) website to be anywhere near as comparable to forum software avaliable today. (or CMS if thats what you are getting at)

(full disclosure i couldn't either but you seem confident...)

[b]
Sky-netgaming.com
nrich588
Poster

WzG Owner

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 12:31:30 AM »

Yeah there's no way in hell a 12 year old british kid can create even a basic and unsecure bulitten board.
Anonymous
Poster

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 12:42:27 AM »

-___- In what part of that did I say I would create a bulletin board?

nrich588
Poster

WzG Owner

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 04:19:38 AM »

Well a proper website for a community would include a forum. I made a website for my first set up way back in 2009 and it sucked because I used only HTML, CSS, PHP, etc.
sniperduck
Poster

|:NxS:| Staff! :D

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 06:24:58 AM »

-___- In what part of that did I say I would create a bulletin board?

and I don't use PHPBB I use VBulletin.

Overtime these forums have made me an asshole. ;D (TTT subforum)
|:NxS:| Custom TTT Server: source.nxs-gaming.com:27016
|:NxS:| Vanilla TTT Server: source.nxs-gaming.com:27016
|:NxS:| Fretta: <COMING SOON>
nrich588
Poster

WzG Owner

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 07:05:05 AM »

Forgot to site that lil tid bit.
tgp1994
Poster

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 06:06:22 PM »

I greatly appreciate the offer Anonymous, but to be honest I'm quite content with what Phpbb has to offer me, I don't really know what your definition of a "proper" website is. I've been more or less dreaming of integrating more and more of my website into the server, such as creating some kind of in game item shop that will be tied to a virtual currency on the forums, or something like that.

Call me a hypocrite for hosting on Windows Server, but I think free software is the way to go (I got server through the dreamspark program anyways). MySQL, Apache, stuff like that is what I've gravitated to.

Anonymous, would you actually be willing to make a skin of some sorts? I have very little experience / aptitude in graphic design, if that's what you're offering. I am sort of curious about how an individual went about "getting" a copy of VBulletin...
BipolarDiZ
Poster

|:NxS:| Staff! :D

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 06:52:33 PM »

Buy it like anyone else, and just so you know phpBB is actually the easiest forum software to convert to VBulletin without loss of data. I plan on getting VBulletin at some point. Not the most pressing concern.

BipolarDiZ is bipolar.
|:NxS:| Custom TTT Server: source.nxs-gaming.com:27015
|:NxS:| Vanilla TTT Server: source.nxs-gaming.com:27016
|:NxS:| Fretta: currently offline
Pages: [1] 2
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [Server] TGPServ w/ TTT (Vanilla v.28) « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length