Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 09:08:40 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: ttt_print_damagelog Suggestion: Record Item Purchases
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ttt_print_damagelog Suggestion: Record Item Purchases  (Read 19492 times)
PatPeter
Poster

« on: November 02, 2011, 06:39:51 AM »

The largest problem I've run into in TTT is false call-outs based on traitor items. For instance, "he had a knife, he had a knife!" Or far worse (because it's harder to disprove), "I saw him burn a body! He bought a flare gun!"

I request that the time of traitor purchases, if any, and detective purchases as well be added to the ttt_print_damagelog printout.

It would also be helpful for new players if ttt_print_damagelog showed up when typing "ttt_p" in console.
GrayScare0
Poster

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 01:58:52 PM »

This has already been discussed (perhaps multiple times) and I believe the conclusion was that the damagelog was a mistake and admins need to actually administrate by watching the server themselves.  You can search if you want the exact wording.
centran
Poster

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 10:04:43 PM »

would be nice to see what weapon was used to kill someone
BipolarDiZ
Poster

|:NxS:| Staff! :D

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 02:16:45 AM »

I would add another function to the weapon. Like SWEP.Printbought or something. This would allow for server owners to decide if it's needed.

BipolarDiZ is bipolar.
|:NxS:| Custom TTT Server: source.nxs-gaming.com:27015
|:NxS:| Vanilla TTT Server: source.nxs-gaming.com:27016
|:NxS:| Fretta: currently offline
Cush
Poster

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 02:18:44 PM »

Indeed, it isnt too hard to add equipment buys to the log yourself if you really must, but I believe BKUs stance on this is that he wont add it because its stupid that so many servers have admins step in and use powers over every tiny little thing.

Though I agree somewhat, I still think its useful, I do believe that admins shouldnt intervene unless totally necessary because thats what karma is for, its useful to find people using things like Sethhack because you know that they actually bought the item.
BipolarDiZ
Poster

|:NxS:| Staff! :D

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 04:39:20 PM »

Yeah, It's usually better to just watch for yourself but in some situations it could definately be a good addition. I might look into adding it for myself for the knife. That the most widely used excuse.

BipolarDiZ is bipolar.
|:NxS:| Custom TTT Server: source.nxs-gaming.com:27015
|:NxS:| Vanilla TTT Server: source.nxs-gaming.com:27016
|:NxS:| Fretta: currently offline
moarx
Poster

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 07:47:35 PM »

I can't tell you how many times I've been traitor and people have killed me for having a knife despite the fact that I never even purchased one (or in some cases, never pulled it out, though that's a different issue). Generally said situations occur when holding grenades because people are blind/paranoid. Admins generally ignore it because they have no way of knowing if I actually had a knife or not, I can't see how adding this would be a bad thing.
nrich588
Poster

WzG Owner

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 09:03:26 PM »

Neat Idea, long has my server been plagued with idiots like that.
PatPeter
Poster

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 11:29:01 AM »

This has already been discussed (perhaps multiple times) and I believe the conclusion was that the damagelog was a mistake and admins need to actually administrate by watching the server themselves.  You can search if you want the exact wording.

If you can get the links to those discussions we could look into them at greater depth. I believe that removing the changelog is an extremist point of view as no one wants to sit in spectator babysitting every single round. Even if you have an admin or two in spectator they aren't going to see everything.

I would like to either see this added to the changelog, or, if it is truly easy to log, have something on http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/ that server admins can easily download and install. I've had to rewrite/edit/hardcode too many things into server scripts over the years. I'll avoid it like the plague as much as I can.
GrayScare0
Poster

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 03:12:58 PM »

If you can get the links to those discussions we could look into them at greater depth. I believe that removing the changelog is an extremist point of view as no one wants to sit in spectator babysitting every single round. Even if you have an admin or two in spectator they aren't going to see everything.

I would like to either see this added to the changelog, or, if it is truly easy to log, have something on http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/ that server admins can easily download and install. I've had to rewrite/edit/hardcode too many things into server scripts over the years. I'll avoid it like the plague as much as I can.

I'm sorry, but I don't remember what topic it was and I'm really not invested in the issue.  I also believe that the damagelog is relied upon too much.  If you miss something, you just don't take action unless someone recorded it.  Regardless, ask BKU or look it up.
Rectal Exambot
Poster

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 08:51:45 AM »

http://www.zombiemaster.org/smf/index.php?topic=9124.4000
GrayScare0
Poster

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 10:27:48 PM »

http://www.zombiemaster.org/smf/index.php?topic=9124.4000

That's not the post I remember, but that's one of them certainly.
Holy Toaster
Poster

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »

Would it not be more feasable to perhaps have a list of the items the victim had with them before they died? Am I just missing something obvious about this?

ZM_Cliffside_retreat Currently dead due to PC failure.
PatPeter
Poster

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 02:41:15 AM »

I'm sorry, but I don't remember what topic it was and I'm really not invested in the issue.  I also believe that the damagelog is relied upon too much.  If you miss something, you just don't take action unless someone recorded it.  Regardless, ask BKU or look it up.

You brought it up: it's your job to prove it. Also, disregarding the damage log as sufficient evidence or a sufficient tool for admins is excessive. Under your rule servers would never be able to ban anyone because expecting players to record each and every round of their entire night is foolhardy.

Would it not be more feasable to perhaps have a list of the items the victim had with them before they died? Am I just missing something obvious about this?

No, what if he or she threw their weapon away before he or she died? Or what if he or she took the weapon off someone else's body?
Marauder8
Build Tester

Future Emperor of Antarctica

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 07:49:39 AM »

Aw man, I thought Holy Toaster was back.

THIS RAINCOAT IS FROM THE DEVIL
GrayScare0
Poster

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 10:07:34 PM »

You brought it up: it's your job to prove it. Also, disregarding the damage log as sufficient evidence or a sufficient tool for admins is excessive. Under your rule servers would never be able to ban anyone because expecting players to record each and every round of their entire night is foolhardy.

No, when I owned a server, we just usually had admins playing.  They can see things and take action, you know.  It's really no big deal if they miss a few violations.  The people that deserve to be banned are almost always repeat offenders, and we almost always catch them early.  Very rarely did we ever need to use the damage log.  Anyways, if you care so much about the statement, look it up.  It's not my "job" to quote BKU; I really don't care if you trust what I said or not.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:08:47 PM by GrayScare0 »
Holy Toaster
Poster

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 12:01:12 AM »

I'm reasonably sure he's talking about this: http://www.zombiemaster.org/smf/index.php?topic=9124.msg427852#msg427852
And quite frankly, that's probably how it'll remain.

ZM_Cliffside_retreat Currently dead due to PC failure.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 09:59:18 AM »

See also the posts about the overuse of damagelogs that follow this one: http://www.zombiemaster.org/smf/index.php?topic=10990.msg436515#msg436515
It's not posted by me, but I agree with the sentiment.
nrich588
Poster

WzG Owner

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 08:16:19 PM »

Why do you need that? You can look in the post round report for weapons used to kill players. Recording a purchase is semi-useless.
Anonymous
Poster

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 08:08:56 PM »

No. Say I am a traitor I pull a knife on you and you headshot me. I die and then I say you RDMd me. You say I had a knife out but you cannot prove it.

Pages: [1] 2
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: ttt_print_damagelog Suggestion: Record Item Purchases « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length