Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:57:11 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Newb Detectives
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Newb Detectives  (Read 14731 times)
Manmax75
Poster

Programming Guy

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 05:59:07 AM »

What about a help menu imbended into the scanner, so it tells you THROUGHLY what to do...

Ride Forward and Thrust Your Pelvis In The Dark Void. The One Induced By Pleasure Yet Cast By The Bigger Picture.
ball2hi
Poster

~Xbye, manipulation, deception, destruction.

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 06:07:28 AM »

What about a help menu imbended into the scanner, so it tells you THROUGHLY what to do...

By the time they would be done reading it they'd be dead then by a traitor.
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 11:24:44 AM »

I've had a concept for simplifying the DNA scanner lying around for quite a while, but since making it a default weapon for Detectives I've not had many complaints about its supposed complexity. The simplification would be as follows:
- scanner only stores one sample
- no right click menu (because there are no different samples to select)
- charge bar is just shown on scanner's HUD
- as soon as a sample is gathered it automatically repeatedly scans for it
- right click deletes the current sample to stop the scanning
- grabbing a new sample replaces the current one

All you'd need to explain is "point at fresh corpse and click".

The question is, of course, whether removing the ability to have multiple samples would affect skilled detectives.

I love having multiple samples. If I could only have 1 sample at a time, and it just auto-scanned nonstop that'd ruin the DNA scanner for me, and as well as for a few detective players I personally know. Example: I' have to sit there and choose getting that sample or keeping the one I have.

One good thing that I note about that though, is that I'm positive that would help newer detectives, but I'm also positive it'd hurt some veterans. I know It'd be worse for me.

That seems pretty neat but I would miss the old one.  Maybe making that new detective scanner standard, and the old interface can be enabled using options?

I fully support this, if it's possible though.

Just grab some bottles and stick them in girls...
Wat?
Poster

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 05:43:17 PM »

I love having more than one sample, but it's not a necessity.
I've had a concept for simplifying the DNA scanner lying around for quite a while, but since making it a default weapon for Detectives I've not had many complaints about its supposed complexity. The simplification would be as follows:
- scanner only stores one sample
- no right click menu (because there are no different samples to select)
- charge bar is just shown on scanner's HUD
- as soon as a sample is gathered it automatically repeatedly scans for it
- right click deletes the current sample to stop the scanning
- grabbing a new sample replaces the current one

All you'd need to explain is "point at fresh corpse and click".

The question is, of course, whether removing the ability to have multiple samples would affect skilled detectives.

I find the option to do manual scans rather useful tho.
If the traitor is on the run it is sometimes hard to get him with just autoscan, as he can run past you while your scanner is recharging.

So I often use manual scan when I see someone who I suspect as the traitor.

Of course this could be easily solved by assigning reload key to stop/continue scanning.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 06:43:37 PM »

One small thing I've done so far is making the right click menu select the first sample by default, so all you need to do is hit scan to get going.

I think I'll go a step further and make it start scanning as soon as you collect a new sample, if auto-repeat is enabled (which it is by default now). That way you can get a newbie to grab a sample from a corpse and have him be useful right away, no menu required.

I'm also planning an indicator in the menu for which sample you last scanned (and is probably being auto-scanned right now). This is not clear right now, and you might get the impression selecting a different sample will make it auto-scan that one, but that's not the case (because you may just be selecting it to remove it, the menu can't assume you want to scan it). An indicator will make this more obvious.
ball2hi
Poster

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 07:04:54 PM »

Honestly, get away from the whole crappy idea of "One for the Veterans, and One for the newbies" This is just going to turn into 2 separate games if we go down that line.

Here's what we should do:
Auto-Scan is check-marked by default.
Clicking on the "DNA" symbol on a corpse will give you the DNA sample.
Possibly make it so the CURRENT DNA being scanned is highlighted.

Another thing I had in mind by might take a bit to code is instead of just showing on the map where the DNA symbol is, make it so that the DNA symbol is ALWAYS on their screen. IE. If the DNA symbol is to the right of them then show the DNA symbol hugging the right side until they get it into their sites and it shows it. You know how in some games it will show you an objective it'll point you in the direction until you get the symbol within the middle fo your screen? Im not sure if you understand but it's just from my experience A detective will scan it and I'll tell them "Where's it at?" and he'll be like "I dont know it's not doing anything! I clicked scan and it's not telling me who killed him!" I tell them to look for the DNA symbol on the map and it took them a while looking all around for this "Symbol" i told them about. It usually ends with them just giving me the scanner and I hunt down the traitor myself...
C.Mong
Poster

DNR Owner

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 07:13:12 PM »

I still think a nice addition would be to give people the option in the menu to opt-out of being detective, similar to how you can opt-out of being ZM in Zombie Master.
I mean, the times I see people kill themselves because they'd rather sit out than be a "huge target" is ridiculous.

www.dnr-gaming.com
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 07:39:49 PM »

I still think a nice addition would be to give people the option in the menu to opt-out of being detective, similar to how you can opt-out of being ZM in Zombie Master.
I mean, the times I see people kill themselves because they'd rather sit out than be a "huge target" is ridiculous.

You know, fuck it, I'm going to add this. These people are not suddenly going to play properly, so might as well let them opt out and keep them from ruining the round.
ball2hi
Poster

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 07:43:26 PM »

You know, fuck it, I'm going to add this. These people are not suddenly going to play properly, so might as well let them opt out and keep them from ruining the round.

I've seen that only a handful of times, sometimes they even give their DNA scanners to some random player because they know they're just going to die. I think by default people should have "Opt Out of detective" enabled and it should be DISABLED manually through settings. Reasons being, if they dont know how to play detective or want to play most likely they wont know how to opt out of it isn't enabled by default lol.
Manmax75
Poster

Programming Guy

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 07:48:12 PM »

If everyone opts out will it force a detective? Or just leave the round with none?

Ride Forward and Thrust Your Pelvis In The Dark Void. The One Induced By Pleasure Yet Cast By The Bigger Picture.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2010, 08:00:20 PM »

Force one.

It will not default to opting out.
ball2hi
Poster

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 02:38:47 AM »

Just thought I'd bump this.. lol
GrayScare0
Poster

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 03:36:35 AM »

Are you still doing this?  I think this is necessary; the amount of players that still don't know how to DNA scan after the update is appalling, and more often than not the DNA scanner ends up in some random person's hands, with the traitor, or at the corpse of the detective rather than in the hands of a trusted innocent.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:38:44 AM by GrayScare0 »
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 10:18:30 AM »

It is on my list. There are a lot of things on my list.
GrayScare0
Poster

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 08:48:21 PM »

It is on my list. There are a lot of things on my list.

Okay just making sure.  On a side note, the autoscan is really, really handy and the DNA scanner is significantly faster to use (assuming you've used it before).
Raneman
Poster

Shitposter

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2010, 12:48:08 AM »

When a detective is called to a body, there should be tips popping up walking them through the process automatically.
Pages: 1 [2]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Newb Detectives « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length