Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 03:51:48 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Newb Detectives
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Newb Detectives  (Read 14707 times)
ball2hi
Poster

~Xbye, manipulation, deception, destruction.

« on: November 24, 2010, 09:51:38 PM »

Has anyone made any suggestions towards helping these players? I'm getting more and more aggravated each day with newb detectives in TTT. I've had DNA that was 40sec long decay and no trace of the killer was found because a detective simply didnt know how to scan a body. Couple of suggestions maybe to help these slower people?

1. There will be no "Auto-Scan" on the DNA-Scanner, it will automatically Auto-Scan when you are scanning a DNA.
2. If detectives click on the "DNA" symbol while inspecting the body, it will automatically put the DNA in their DNA Scanner.
3. Put a message every time they acquire DNA to open their DNA scanner and press Right Click to open the scan menu. (Something noticeable but not in the way and annoying to veteran detectives.)
4. Detectives (And maybe traitors?) will have somewhere on their UI how many credits they have, and what button to press to open the credits menu. (Maybe something like in the bottom right corner saying: CREDITS: 03. Press C to open Menu.

I've gotten rather annoyed multiple times when I am asking a detective to get the DNA on a 20sec DNA body, and the DNA wears out and he says "There's no more DNA". Litterly... I rage inside.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:00:29 PM by ball2hi »
bigbadboo
Poster

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 10:03:01 PM »

It was suggested a while back an opt in selection process for detectives. Therefore only people who choose that they want to be a detective, can get picked for the role.

It was not supported by BKU however.
ball2hi
Poster

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 10:08:45 PM »

I wanted to suggest that, but I knew it wouldn't be supported. Having detectives that cant do anything is utterly annoying to the point where you have to make a choice of RDMing and killing the detective to take his scanner or letting the DNA fade. I've had to make that decision a couple of times and its rather annoying.
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 10:19:37 PM »

First off, suggestion 1. What the fuck are you even suggesting? Explain yourself better.

Second, I support 2 slightly. That will help noobs, but it will also cause more confusion. Trust me on this.

I also support 3. I can't see a negative to this, but there's already a message that is given. It wouldn't hurt to change the message to tell the detective what key to press in the message itself. Rather, you could put it at the bottom of the screen, in the middle. Just like the tips.

Lastly, I support 4. However I believe this should require an option in the settings to toggle it on, and off. I know I wouldn't need it.

Just grab some bottles and stick them in girls...
ball2hi
Poster

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 10:24:10 PM »

First off, suggestion 1. What the fuck are you even suggesting? Explain yourself better.

Second, I support 2 slightly. That will help noobs, but it will also cause more confusion. Trust me on this.

I also support 3. I can't see a negative to this, but there's already a message that is given. It wouldn't hurt to change the message to tell the detective what key to press in the message itself. Rather, you could put it at the bottom of the screen, in the middle. Just like the tips.

Lastly, I support 4. However I believe this should require an option in the settings to toggle it on, and off. I know I wouldn't need it.

I did explain it well, maybe you shoudl take your head out of your ass and read it better? Sorry but if you're going to act like a jack ass to me Im going to act like a jackass to you.

Anyways, I'll re-explain #1. The DNA Scanner has a button at the bottom that says "Auto-Scan". Now I dont know about you, but most detectives or innocents with the scanner always set this to auto-scan. Newer players will NOT click auto scan. What need sto happen is REMOVE the checkbox to auto scan, instead, when you click "SCAN" it will continue to scan whoever's DNA it is until you click a "STOP" button or remove the DNA from the DNA Scanner.

That clear enough for you?
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 10:33:26 PM »

Could you possibly bitch anymore? Anyways, let me explain why there's an option for it...

Not everyone uses Auto-scan, and no matter how many times you say most detectives use it, it will always, and forever be "your" opinion. Give me statements of over half of the ttt player base saying that they want it to always auto-scan, and I will support this.

EDIT: I have a suggestion though. Two buttons. Scan, and Auto-Scan.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:34:51 PM by Meta-Stick »

A55hat
Poster

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 10:51:23 PM »

Or, to solve this, you can change the default position of the checkbox to on?? (Auto-Scan by default)
ball2hi
Poster

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »

Or, to solve this, you can change the default position of the checkbox to on?? (Auto-Scan by default)

I like that idea.
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 11:13:49 AM »

Avoiding the point though. Making it default auto-scan, or even doing anything remotely like that is not going to solve anything. I thought the point of this thread was to make shit easier for new detectives to figure stuff out. This is only going to cause more confusion. The problem is they don't know what the fuck they're even doing, so explain how the hell an auto-scan default is going to fix anything?

Suggestion: More tips for detective, or even traitor if it doesn't already exist like the ones that pop up at the start of the round, or similar.

Basically the following:
Toggle-able in settings. Default on, until turned off when you're comfortable with game mode.

When it's on it'll give a notice that says it's on, and how it can be turned off. Also basically what it would do is, every time you buy a traitor, or detective item, it specifically gives a tool tip at the bottom of the screen to explain more in depth than the buy menu what you should be doing with it, or rather "can" do with it. Also maybe when selecting the DNA scanner for the first time, once during every round you're a detective it explains exactly or briefly what to do at the bottom in a tool tip. I don't believe the tool tips should be discreet on the screen either. Make it noticeable so they will definitely see it, since it's toggle-able this shouldn't be a problem to the player.

ball2hi
Poster

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 08:06:09 PM »

Avoiding the point though. Making it default auto-scan, or even doing anything remotely like that is not going to solve anything. I thought the point of this thread was to make shit easier for new detectives to figure stuff out. This is only going to cause more confusion. The problem is they don't know what the fuck they're even doing, so explain how the hell an auto-scan default is going to fix anything?

Suggestion: More tips for detective, or even traitor if it doesn't already exist like the ones that pop up at the start of the round, or similar.

Basically the following:
Toggle-able in settings. Default on, until turned off when you're comfortable with game mode.

When it's on it'll give a notice that says it's on, and how it can be turned off. Also basically what it would do is, every time you buy a traitor, or detective item, it specifically gives a tool tip at the bottom of the screen to explain more in depth than the buy menu what you should be doing with it, or rather "can" do with it. Also maybe when selecting the DNA scanner for the first time, once during every round you're a detective it explains exactly or briefly what to do at the bottom in a tool tip. I don't believe the tool tips should be discreet on the screen either. Make it noticeable so they will definitely see it, since it's toggle-able this shouldn't be a problem to the player.

I agree with everything you suggest, the reason i suggested auto scan is because they'll never have auto-scan on and go across the map to the "DNA Symbol" eventually just standing there going "Where'd he go? They'll scan again and find out he is now on the other side of the map. If it had been on auto scan, he'd have been probably caught in the middle or so, and sometimes they'll scan once and find out the "Killer" is in the group behind them. They shoot the poor soul though of an innocent that had the misfortune of standing in the spot the traitor was last in and get shot. If they had auto scanned, then in 2-3 seconds they'd have another DNA probably where the traitor is exactly standing.

Another thing I found annoying is that they'll think they need to stand over the body or stand still or even HAVE the dna scanner out to scan. I've had it to the point where a detective got a DNA sample, and scanned it and stood over the body thinking that the bar to fill up to scan again was it basically waiting for the results....
GrayScare0
Poster

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 08:22:24 PM »

I really like suggestion #4, perhaps as toggleable for both detectives and traitors.  Quite frankly, I'm surprised I've never heard of this suggestion before.  It's so simple, yet so brilliant.
Raneman
Poster

Shitposter

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 04:04:14 PM »

Newbs simply should not be playing detective. It's like having the mentally challenged fat kid play as the quarterback on a football team.
EpicBox
Poster

ZE EPIC BAWKZ IZ CUMING FOR YA.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 05:10:25 PM »

Newbs simply should not be playing detective. It's like having the mentally challenged fat kid play as the quarterback on a football team.

*Not funny*

And btw, EVERYONE started out as a "noob". Just tell em what to do, like press F1 or go to the TTT OFFICIAL SITE :3

They're players like us, they are allowed to play.

anduranoobtooehem

There's 3 things I hate: <br />People that hates people.<br />People that hates the haters.<br />And people that hates the haters of the haters.
ball2hi
Poster

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 09:18:38 PM »

*Not funny*

And btw, EVERYONE started out as a "noob". Just tell em what to do, like press F1 or go to the TTT OFFICIAL SITE :3

They're players like us, they are allowed to play.

anduranoobtooehem

I've tried explaining to players how to use a DNA scanner. 1/4 of the time it ends up with them using it correctly. The other 3/4 they end up never getting DNA and the DNA sample decaying. Instead of trying to teach people how to use the scanner I tell them to just drop it and give it to me.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »

I've had a concept for simplifying the DNA scanner lying around for quite a while, but since making it a default weapon for Detectives I've not had many complaints about its supposed complexity. The simplification would be as follows:
- scanner only stores one sample
- no right click menu (because there are no different samples to select)
- charge bar is just shown on scanner's HUD
- as soon as a sample is gathered it automatically repeatedly scans for it
- right click deletes the current sample to stop the scanning
- grabbing a new sample replaces the current one

All you'd need to explain is "point at fresh corpse and click".

The question is, of course, whether removing the ability to have multiple samples would affect skilled detectives.
Charles445
Build Tester

I LOVE THIS AVATAR

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 10:09:34 PM »

I love having more than one sample, but it's not a necessity.

del>Ok, so Bad King, you are just going to wait for Garry to fix?
What an idiotic thing to ask. Dammit weed.

Bookcases, Bookcases Everywhere
ball2hi
Poster

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 10:35:01 PM »

I've had a concept for simplifying the DNA scanner lying around for quite a while, but since making it a default weapon for Detectives I've not had many complaints about its supposed complexity. The simplification would be as follows:

The question is, of course, whether removing the ability to have multiple samples would affect skilled detectives.

I have no problem with this, also would it be possible to give the DNA scanner a graphic when held out? It would help the traitors be able to see who (That isn't a detective) has a DNA scanner and can be a potential bigger threat then other innocents. You dont know how many times I threw a knife into a crowd getting the detective, steal his scanner, and everyone's standing over the body and next thing I hear is "ITS YOU!" *Shotgun blast* and I'm dead. Apparently they got the DNA scanner from another detective.

The thing is, it's not that the current DNA scanner is complicated... but the fact that if you get an inexperienced detective the traitors can basically go free killing because you'll never get DNA scans. You can tell them how to use it.... but in the process the DNA sample might fade away / traitor comes in and kills you both / 1-2 more innocents die before the killer is caught. Also, here's another idea. if you DO decide to keep the current right click = UI. Could you possible make it so that right clicking again will close the scanner? It would be a lot faster then having to move your mouse over to close when you're being shot at.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 10:51:07 PM by ball2hi »
Firespray
Build Tester

:-(

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 10:30:31 AM »

That seems pretty neat but I would miss the old one.  Maybe making that new detective scanner standard, and the old interface can be enabled using options?

Z3RO: Tanners sister isnt bad looking :v
Firespray: New sig
Z3RO: noooo

holocalls traumatize worbat
DemiGod
Build Tester

Nimble as a pregnant cow

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 07:24:43 PM »

Maybe that could be the standard scanner and you could spend a credit to get the old scanner.

I hate all of you
Nah, more like demigod isn't self centered and he is legality cool guy.
ball2hi
Poster

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 07:42:41 PM »

I dont think having two different varieties of scanners, one for Veterans and one for Newbie players, is the best solution. We need to get a fine line in the middle that is easier and more efficient for newbie players, but at the same time wont remove things that some Veterans use.
Pages: [1] 2
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Newb Detectives « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length