Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:51:42 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Player Identification
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Player Identification  (Read 7774 times)
bigbadboo
Poster

« on: June 12, 2010, 12:59:51 AM »

I am on the fly at the moment so please be gentle. My Idea or suggestion if you will is to add a way of identifying players other than by their player name.

Several times a day people with odd names join TTT servers, this gives them a huge advantage over others. For example a player could be called ()("($" or have their name made up of characters to add colour in MW2. This gives them an unfair advantage over players with a simple name such as mine "Koala Kommander Boo".

Yes you could argue, thats why we have chat binds yet 80% of the time everything that goes on in TTT happens over mic, most people dont pay attention to chat.

I propose a number that appears along with the players details, when looked at in game, to identify players. This number would be unique to the player ranging from 1-max slots.

CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 03:44:10 AM »

I don't like your idea. Yes I agree it's annoying when people have really long strings of useless characters in front of their name but you can just ignore the numbers and symbols and read their name. Or if there name is something really stupid like "$%^%($%" just say "Hey the guy that has all those symbols in their name is the traitor" Doing that is easier then adding an other system that most people won't understand.

If people with dumb symbols in their name really bugs you just get in the habit of reading just their name or trying to understand the leet speak.

Most Neutral Poster
Release: ZM_BlackMesa1, TTT_Bank, TTT_Backalley
All my maps start with "B" hmm...
bigbadboo
Poster

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 09:21:46 AM »

Yes but the issue is when your attacked you need to say who it is quickly. Not spend one minute trying to work out what you are going to say.
Marauder8
Build Tester

Future Emperor of Antarctica

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 12:52:15 PM »

What's more important, and rather worrying is that people don't pay attention to chat. So fixing this problem seems like it has more of a priority.

THIS RAINCOAT IS FROM THE DEVIL
bigbadboo
Poster

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »

link=topic=9828.msg381761#msg381761 date=1276347135]
What's more important, and rather worrying is that people don't pay attention to chat. So fixing this problem seems like it has more of a priority.

I agree, adding proximity chat as discussed in a previous topic would do just that.

Forcing players to chat globally.
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 03:23:55 PM »

I don't understand what you are saying here? Why do you need to force people to chat globally? They already do.

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
Handy_man
Poster

SNG community admin

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 03:41:56 PM »

Did you ever try asking them to change there name while they are playing ttt in your servers? it works out fine most of the time when i ask people to change there name. Although i have never asked them to change it due to special characters. but more duplicate names & blank ones.

[b]
Sky-netgaming.com
bigbadboo
Poster

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »

Did you ever try asking them to change there name while they are playing ttt in your servers? it works out fine most of the time when i ask people to change there name. Although i have never asked them to change it due to special characters. but more duplicate names & blank ones.

Sometimes people wont and then its a bit iffy on kicking them because to be fair its a bit of hassle changing name, and sometimes admins are not on.
Darkebrz
Poster

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 12:41:46 AM »

Most servers have a rule against this, so it really shouldn't matter.
phoenixf129
Poster

I Rise from the Ashes.

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 12:39:56 PM »

Why not just do what DarkRP does, requiring you to use a "Ingame" name?

basically it just asks you to use a RolePlay name when your ingame, not doing anything other than masking your real name, BUT you can still kick / ban the perpetrators with their RP name...

Software Upgrade Paradox - If you improve a piece of software enough times, you eventually ruin it.
Darkebrz
Poster

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 05:43:59 PM »

Because that's even more abusable? You don't have to change your steam nick now to have an unsayable name.
phoenixf129
Poster

I Rise from the Ashes.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »

Because that's even more abusable? You don't have to change your steam nick now to have an unsayable name.

not if you block symbols...

Software Upgrade Paradox - If you improve a piece of software enough times, you eventually ruin it.
Communism
Poster

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 08:13:29 PM »

We require actual names or we just ban people for not changing. Most pubs just add something like "lolwut" before all the crazy characters which works just fine.
Darkebrz
Poster

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 06:25:07 PM »

not if you block symbols...

asufh89-298qjvc
What would you call that?
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »

I'd call them Asuf. And then it'd not be a problem anymore.

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
Pages: [1]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Player Identification « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length