Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 02:48:05 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Text/Mic Radius of effect Suggestion
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Text/Mic Radius of effect Suggestion  (Read 7482 times)
Swiftfreddy
Poster

Party bus will reign supreme

« on: January 25, 2010, 12:43:09 AM »

I think this was suggested before but I believe it deserves another topic.

My suggestion is that both text/mic are restricted to a small-medium sized radius around the player. Pretty much the same as seen in some DarkRp (ugh) servers.

I suppose the impact on gameplay is that if people are isolated away from the rest of the innocents, they can be killed without anyone knowing via lastwords or mic cutting off but that isn't the real reason I am suggesting this.

The main reason is that on a full/near full TTT server you usually get a lot of mic users and a lot of people that spam up the text with "I am with" etc. On many occasion, people shouting out the killer before they die is ignored or not heard (because of others talking over them) and the "I am with" stuff is usually ignored all together, as nearly everyone tends to use it non stop.

Restricting the distance someone can be heard will probably be a balanced feature. Sure, people can be killed without anyone knowing at all but that happens plenty enough already.

With this implemented, if you see someones last words you will KNOW that the killer is nearby because you can hear them, and unless you are with a crowd, it wont be spammed away. Same goes for mic users if they get cut off suddenly. You will KNOW that the killer is nearby from gunshots and the text/mic because you can actually HEAR it nearby.

Without this, someone could have their last words and unless it contains the name of the killer, which it often doesn't, it wont be of much use. With this, hearing last words without a killer's name will be useful enough for the benefit of locating the traitor. If the last words do contain the killer's name, then it wont always mean certain death for the traitor.

But yeah, overall, this game mode on Gmod is probably the one place I have heard the most people with mics on a server and it gives me a headache. This game mode requires a lot of communication via text or mic so it is encouraged to be talking almost non stop and muting people who talk a little TOO much could lower your chances of survival/winning.

I feel this feature could add more tactics and reasons for staying together/roaming by yourself. Someone could group with someone they find interesting to listen to or claim that reason as the traitor to get close to them. Or people could go solo if they don't want to have to listen to people yapping on about their life problems which could be a cover story for a traitor etc.

I missed some things which I may be able to post another time. Quite the wall of text I wrote D=

Please let me know what you think and I wont hold it against ya if you don't read it in its entirety but please scan it if you think you have found a flaw that I might have ironed out in my explanation above.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:41:38 PM »

It has been suggested before. Short version of my reply:

I do not feel I can implement a range limit on voicechat to my own satisfaction with the extremely limited tools I have in Gmod. Most importantly, fading of people's voice is not possible. I think it is required to show players how they're moving in and out of range. Hence, no fading = no range limit.
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 04:46:34 PM »

There is an ingame precedent of altering the voice chat. When you go under water you get the same high end cut that all sounds do. However, to apply this just to the chat would likely require engine changes, not really available.

Another possibility would be to have the chat indicator fade instead of the voice. Hardly ideal, but if someone is talking and their indicator is almost transparent then you know he's far away.

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
Gamerofthegame
Poster

I'm after you, Worbat!

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »

Please don't.

Why? Because it wouldn't be fun. There is nothing fun about wandering around the place, it being absolutely quiet, for ten minutes just to be shot by a sneaky traitor and then have to wait for the round to end just to do it over again.

Let the people have their voices!
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 04:30:24 AM »

I know that BKU is very unlikely to actually even try implementing it at this time, but it's not like the radius would be 5 feet in order to be heard. And on the other side of that coin it's not all that enjoyable to have people talking about cocks so loudly that no one hears you expose a traitor.

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
Swiftfreddy
Poster

Party bus will reign supreme

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »

In the end, I play TTT to play TTT.

If I wanted to listen to people talk about their life or trying to be funny I would play a more casual game, like ZM.

But yeah, it isn't a feature I care too deeply about at the moment and I see how you would want to implement it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:30:38 PM by Swiftfreddy »
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 05:22:43 AM »

I always thought it would be neat if there was a whisper button, where you could mic or text talk and it would only transmit to people within a short radius. I've always wanted to share my concerns about who I think is traitor or plans or just talk with someone without telling the whole server.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 07:40:25 AM »

I always thought it would be neat if there was a whisper button, where you could mic or text talk and it would only transmit to people within a short radius. I've always wanted to share my concerns about who I think is traitor or plans or just talk with someone without telling the whole server.

That would be ideal. Often I'm with one or two very trustworthy players, but we cant decide on where to go because suggesting somewhere will inform the traitors of the location.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TyrantGrandburnin
bat sauce
Poster

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 08:19:05 AM »

I don't like this idea; wouldn't terrorists all be on radio communication to each other, anyways?
TheCze
Global Moderator

O R'lyeh? Ia, R'lyeh!

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 05:40:22 PM »

I love this in Resistance and Liberation where you can yell stuff to everyone whos around you.

It would add something interesting to TTT if you would add range limited voice and remove the traitors voice chat (maybe instead add a "whisper" button that let's you speak to only a smaller circle).

An innocent in the next room might still hear you though so be careful what you are saying.

Only then did the elves begin to suspect that the dwarves were not bringing any Amontillado.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 06:46:43 PM »

Note that it has already been hugely problematic just to get traitor chat to work decently.

If gmod ever gets better Lua-based voice controlling functionality I will do things like this. Until then I thank the quantum gods that traitor voicechat sort of works at all, and stay very far away from anything voice-related.
Pages: [1]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Text/Mic Radius of effect Suggestion « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length