Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:55:58 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Spawn Points
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Spawn Points  (Read 8322 times)
Sewora
Poster

« on: January 17, 2010, 10:06:23 PM »

An "issue" I've experienced is that whenever I make a map, people ALWAYS spawn in the exact same place every round, unless a player leaves or enters, then the spawnpoints are slightly altered, only to return to spawning people in the same spot after. This causes issues for my map since the specific spawnpoints destroys the point of the level.

Is this a "flaw" with the gamemode/garrys mod or am I doing something wrong? And either way -is there any way to override it?

Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 10:56:16 PM »

What version of TTT have you observed this on? Spawnpoint shuffling was added several versions ago, and I've always observed it working correctly both in my testing and in playing on various maps.

What spawnpoint entities do you use?
Sewora
Poster

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 05:06:02 PM »

This is on the latest version of TTT. I've used info_player_start only on one map, and info_player_deathmatch only on another map.
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 05:21:11 PM »

I don't know what spawnpoints are used but it is VERY common for me to spawn in the same place 4-5 times in a row. I know for a fact ttt_district does it. In fact it almost seems consistent where I repeat spawn.

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 06:23:27 PM »

And yet whenever I test it I always spawn in different places.

You could try making more spawnpoints than there will be players, say 1.5 or 2 times as many spawns. That would greatly increase the likelihood of players ending up at a different one each round.
Sewora
Poster

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 06:51:45 PM »

There are 20 spawn points in a 16 player server, 4 different rooms, 5 spawns in each room. People still keep spawning with the same people in the same place every round, until someone leaves or joins. Then the spawnpoints are slightly altered
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 07:25:08 PM »

Do you have the map uploaded somewhere? I could do some specific testing with a bunch of bots on it.
Sewora
Poster

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 08:08:44 PM »

Yes, I will PM you the link
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 08:39:06 PM »

Grabbed it. I'm swamped with work for the next few days, but I'll check it out before the next TTT update at least.
C.Mong
Poster

DNR Owner

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 09:08:08 PM »

I noticed this earlier in amsterville while a bunch of people were playing it on DNR. I have 22 spawns, 18 player server. Other people mentioned it was happening to them as well.

www.dnr-gaming.com
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 08:46:10 PM »

I've done some stuff that should help with this, for next version. The list of spawn entities is now re-shuffled every time a player spawns, so it's about as random as it's going to get. There is still no guarantee you'll spawn in a different room in your map, but I don't think there's anything that can guarantee that seeing as every room has multiple spawnpoints in it.
Sewora
Poster

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 06:29:26 PM »

I've done some stuff that should help with this, for next version. The list of spawn entities is now re-shuffled every time a player spawns, so it's about as random as it's going to get. There is still no guarantee you'll spawn in a different room in your map, but I don't think there's anything that can guarantee that seeing as every room has multiple spawnpoints in it.

True, but if it IS randomized, you most likely won't spawn with the same 4 players in the same room every time. Thank you very much BKU!
Pages: [1]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Spawn Points « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length