Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:50:22 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Karma
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Karma  (Read 13099 times)
Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 07:30:27 AM »

I didn't know you lost less Karma from killing someone with lower Karma than yourself. That's quite interesting, it may prevent some annoying scenarios. With Karma now in game would it be possible to add a system where if an innocent shoots an innocent, he can fire back with a smaller penalty?

http://www.youtube.com/user/TyrantGrandburnin
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 08:31:09 AM »

Note that the penalty is not lower because your victim's karma was lower than yours, but simply because it was a relatively small number. The penalty is a small percentage of the victim's karma, so higher karma = larger penalty, lower karma = smaller penalty. Your own karma doesn't matter, only for how badly you're going to feel that penalty next round.

An innocent loses Karma the instant he damages another innocent. As soon an innocent damages you, his karma will be reduced, so when you then damage him you will get a smaller penalty.

The difference is not massive, but it's there, especially if you have good karma and he's already had it lowered a bit.

It's tempting to say "if someone attacks you you should get no penalty or a very small one", but that's ripe for abuse by intentionally walking in front of a shooting person and such. The current system also allows a third person who sees you getting attacked to shoot the attacker with the same reduced penalty (because your attacker's karma just got lower).

I think it handles most situations like this pretty smoothly without all kinds of special rules. It's too bad that it's still kind of hard to explain without a lot of examples to illustrate what happens. If I look at the Karma system vote on DNR for example, so far the replies that talk about the system don't have a good understanding of it (like how reconnecting doesn't reset your karma, how you can't identify a traitor by his karma, etc).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:33:27 AM by Bad King Urgrain »
bat sauce
Poster

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 08:45:33 AM »

A lot of times there will be idiot innocents who shoot me for no good reason and I kill them in self defense, giving me a far bigger karma loss than they got from shooting me once. Any way to fix that?
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »

If an innocent kills and innocent and then you kill that guy. Because he was innocent, should there not be a smaller reduction?

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 12:09:59 PM »

If an innocent kills and innocent and then you kill that guy. Because he was innocent, should there not be a smaller reduction?

Yes, it will be smaller. In this case I suppose it's an innocent who has not killed others before.

If an innocent only hits you once and then you kill him outright, you will get a larger penalty. This is inevitable. You could try not immediately going for the kill, dodging/seeking cover. Not shooting is a pretty effective way of proving you're not a traitor. If he is a moron and persists, then you can decide to take the karma hit and defend yourself (unless he turns out to be the traitor), or only try to get away and let him take the full karma hit if he kills you.

Taking an occasional karma hit isn't really a problem. Even 10% damage reduction you won't really feel. Weapons do a lot of damage in TTT, especially headshots. If you get lower than that just by having to kill people who attack you, you might consider playing on a server with fewer morons, or asking yourself if you're doing suspicious things all the time.

I haven't really seen anyone who plays normally get low karma.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:11:02 PM by Bad King Urgrain »
Pages: 1 [2]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Karma « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length