Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:52:55 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Traitor Weapon Suggestion: Lock
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Traitor Weapon Suggestion: Lock  (Read 10605 times)
Silverstream
Poster

Project Suburb Developer

« on: December 16, 2009, 12:32:49 AM »

Just a friendly suggestion for a potential traitor weapon: The Lock

Use: A traitor would have the ability to force any usable door (prop_door_rotating) to remain closed until either an innocent or fellow traitor damages the lock itself. If I recall correctly, there is already a lock model available for use from HL2.

Features:
- Health: server defined value
- model available from HL2
- A lock set containing 3x locks when purchased

Advantage: Traitors would be able to coordinate better.
ex: "An innocent player may be camping in one of the two center buildings in ttt_thething. This is usually difficult for a traitor to get to unless a C4 is readily available. Instead, with the lock, one traitor would lock the door to the room to prevent the innocent from leaving while the other traitor throws in an incendiary grenade therefore trapping the innocent."

Disadvantages: Any innocent would be able to more easily identify other players as potential traitors if they walk past a lock without breaking it.

Other Uses:
- Get away escape from innocents. ex: "Lock a door behind yourself to prevent innocents from getting to you."
- Temporarily lock innocents in rooms for more organized killings.
- Prevent a player from getting to an innocent crying for assistance.
- Hide bodies?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think of this idea?

EDIT: Locks on Doors Can be Broken From either side of the door.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:52:13 AM by Silverstream »
AndyTheGeeky
Build Tester

Wannabe Zoidberg

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:50:10 AM »

I like the idea, but it seems overpowered - if you lock a singular entrance to a room on one side, does that make it impossible to open from the other side?

Signature Pending...
Firespray
Build Tester

:-(

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 02:39:04 AM »

Probably make the lock unopenable for 20 seconds. That would sound easier.

Z3RO: Tanners sister isnt bad looking :v
Firespray: New sig
Z3RO: noooo

holocalls traumatize worbat
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 02:54:12 AM »

Maybe, MAYBE, if there was a lockpick minigame to unlock would it be worthwhile.

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »

I like the idea but it shouldn't be invincible from the outside. I suggest making the lock shoot-able through the door but with reduced damage. The timer idea might be annoying however, I can see it working but the timer might make it useless in certain situations.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TyrantGrandburnin
Officer_BUlbock
Poster

oh god not the snorks nooo

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »

It could just be a 'welder' weapon that leaves a door unopenable when shot for 60s or so.

Maps:
zm_air  zm_powderkeg  zm_voodoo  zm_endgame ttt_airbus ttt_siege
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:43:33 PM »

I think this idea, in it's current state, is a little too awkward to implement. It's really way too dependent on the map and getting rid of the lock seems to have problems of its own. It also doesn't seem nearly as useful as many of the traitor items out now (knife, armor, c4, flaregun, etc.) The concept of blocking players for a certain time, however, does have potential.

What about a device that creates some kind of wall? That could be useful for all kinds of things, blocking any entrance small enough or providing cover.

Just off the top of my head, you could have an item that you toss at the ground. As soon as it hits something, 4 things (orbs?) jut out in opposite, diagonal directions, going as far as they can go in the z and y/x plane. When one hits a corner or or hits a max distance in the z or y/x plane, it stops. Once all are stopped, a wall in created between the 4 points. I'm not sure what it could be made of. Ice? Force field? Glass?

Anyways I'll cut myself off here. Best of luck to this idea.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
mysquirrel
Poster

VIDEO GAMES MADE ME DO IT

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 04:33:25 PM »

How about you modify the Spwaning Menu to select only one Item like a Plank or a Metal Plate and then you can place the Object everywhere and Freeze it after a Certain Time it breaks or make it breakable.

I AM THE DEV SUMMONER

My fingers are itching to reward you with a ban for reporting this.
JossiRossi
Build Tester

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 04:59:57 PM »

I really really dislike the idea of anything that gets placed and then just breaks after some arbitrary time. It's really clunky, unintuitive, and it's not something you can look at and understand. A lock where using it allows you to lock pick it does make sense though, but regardless it'd be rather difficult to implement. I mean if it is a lock, how would the game be able to know where to place it? It can't be the origin because that's where the door rotates, there's really not much info available from a door to autoplace anything. Maybe you could place a lock where the player is looking but then that leads to abusing that by placing the lock in places that don't make sense like upper hinge corners.

I personally think the idea of a lock that can be lockpicked to be removed would be cool but unless some of the logistics are addressed I don't think it's likely to happen.

Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 06:08:31 PM »

Perhaps there's a lockpick item, using it on a door locks the door after a short delay, anyone can open the door but innocents who don't have a lockpick will take then longer to pick while holding E.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TyrantGrandburnin
Rotinaj
Build Tester

the brave

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 08:38:41 PM »

I really really dislike the idea of anything that gets placed and then just breaks after some arbitrary time. It's really clunky, unintuitive, and it's not something you can look at and understand. A lock where using it allows you to lock pick it does make sense though, but regardless it'd be rather difficult to implement. I mean if it is a lock, how would the game be able to know where to place it? It can't be the origin because that's where the door rotates, there's really not much info available from a door to autoplace anything. Maybe you could place a lock where the player is looking but then that leads to abusing that by placing the lock in places that don't make sense like upper hinge corners.

I personally think the idea of a lock that can be lockpicked to be removed would be cool but unless some of the logistics are addressed I don't think it's likely to happen.

How about not giving it a physical appearance, but rather making the door just say "locked" when moused over? Then an innocent could press e on it to begin lockpicking.
Flaming Monkey
Poster

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 01:49:02 AM »

How about a traitor "all-in-one brick and mortar kit".  It'd allow you to deploy it anywhere but since the mortar is still wet it can only take a few hits.  Also it's roughly the size of a doorway.

link=topic=4658.msg385943#msg385943 date=1277847751]
And I Marauder. Me scared big bright in sky, it make hot.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 02:16:33 AM »

"all-in-one brick and mortar kit".
I don't care how it's done, but this must be a thing.

JossiRossi
Build Tester

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 02:50:52 AM »

Ajunk, I have this lovely amontillado I just purchased and need the opinion of a fine connoisseur to ensure it's authenticity. Care to come check it with me?

Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 02:55:50 AM »

Your offer is perplexing but undeniable nonetheless. I accept.

eeny
Build Tester

+1

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 03:02:00 AM »

Ajunk is going to end up like those poor elves....

Nobody Expects the Malkavian Inquisition!
UnInvincible
Build Tester

SANTA SHAMBLER SEIZURE!

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 06:06:11 PM »

Ajunk, I have this lovely amontillado I just purchased and need the opinion of a fine connoisseur to ensure it's authenticity. Care to come check it with me?

The Cask of Amontillado FTW.

my game keeps crashing as it loads, (i have all the expansion packs including the apartment life) and i am hearing that it might possibly be a custom content problem? how do i remove custom content?
Aussie
Poster

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 07:07:33 AM »

I lol'd then felt a little odd that I got it.
Citizen_001
Build Tester

Male_07

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2009, 03:05:47 AM »

Why not just make the item's first person view model the padlock or a custom set of keys etc. and make it so it locks doors in a conventional sense (as in, hit "e" on locked door and handle jiggles yet door maintains physical appearance) and make it immune to crowbarring. Then make it so it can be picked by any innocent if they just hit "e" on it when holstered.

The picking process could have a little progress bar that would take like 15-20 sec. but would be interrupted if you stopped looking at the door, went out of range, or took out a gun besides "holster."

Also make it identifiable as a traitor locked door by having a little message when you hit "e" on it that says something like, "This door is able to have it's lock picked."
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 03:08:15 AM by Citizen_001 »

1200+ hours in Source SDK, and the Source engine is still a mystery.

Quote from:  Dinner
The first time you see him he comes onto you so hard.
[/quote]
Pages: [1]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Traitor Weapon Suggestion: Lock « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length