Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:54:44 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [WIP] TTT_WhiteHouse_A1
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: [WIP] TTT_WhiteHouse_A1  (Read 12473 times)
Sewora
Poster

« on: December 07, 2009, 07:07:56 AM »

I've been over it in my head for over a week now.. What the hell to make? Everything has already been made in one way or another.. So I decided to make the White House!

Granted it doesn't look exactly like the white house, or anywhere near that.. But the general layout is about the same. I've also extended my version of the White house with a Prison Cellar and a Secret Underground base.

So yeah, I let my mind run rampart and just went with the outcome.

I'm Currently working on the Underground base aswell as details and lighting.

WIP SCREENSHOTS:

http://img138.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=tttwhitehouse0000.jpg

I'm a tad rusty on the map making front right now, since last I made maps I made them for Zombie Master, like.. 2 years ago or soming, hehe. But I'm slowly regaining my knowledge.

- Jackal (My In-game name, for those who might recognize it)
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 12:59:25 PM »

Oh look, combine materials in the White House. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Sewora
Poster

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 09:27:52 PM »

Oh look, combine materials in the White House. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Oh yeah, of course. The map has plenty of combine materials. I'm going for a as-basic-as-possible map and only using HL2 materials. And I wanted some military-styled materials to the map, but instead I went with the "Combine Occupation"-theme.
Milo
Build Tester

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 11:14:16 PM »

Looks like it could be interesting. Good luck with it.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 12:59:42 AM »

And I wanted some military-styled materials to the map, but instead I went with the "Lazy ass mapper"-theme.
Fix'd.

Seriously, default textures, especially default textures, look like shit. Your map doesn't look like the whitehouse. It doesn't look like anything. People will only ever see your map as brushes and lazy texturing.

I'm not going to pretend it looks good, because then you'll never change it and your map will never improve. It sucks. Improve it.

Milo
Build Tester

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 04:24:28 AM »

So you're like a constant downer huh
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 04:40:46 AM »

Sewora
Poster

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 07:35:50 AM »

Doesn't really matter. There's more to a map than "Looking good". When I tried out the map on a TTT server, I got some really nice comments like "This is my new fav map!" "omg, this is awesome" "epic" and so on, which is what I'm aiming for rather than just making a map that looks good but has little to offer.

But thank you though, because I see your point. Yes I'm lazy, but I'm also not a professional mapper, and it's not exactly my passion to do this, so I'll just aim for "good gameplay" rather than trying to make a name for myself as a mapper.
Sly
Poster

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »

It's a fine map. Good work. Everything could use improvement.
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 12:53:48 PM »

I agree with ajunk. It looks like CS_office Extended v935235323

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 03:41:23 PM »

Doesn't really matter. There's more to a map than "Looking good". When I tried out the map on a TTT server, I got some really nice comments like "This is my new fav map!" "omg, this is awesome" "epic" and so on, which is what I'm aiming for rather than just making a map that looks good but has little to offer.

I think I quite like you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TyrantGrandburnin
Joest
Build Tester

ZM's Resident Furfag

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 04:43:05 PM »

But thank you though, because I see your point. Yes I'm lazy, but I'm also not a professional mapper, and it's not exactly my passion to do this, so I'll just aim for "good gameplay" rather than trying to make a name for myself as a mapper.
I haven't tried it out, but if it's good, I'd keep the core gameplay the same and try to make it look a tiny bit better. The aesthetics to a map really to change the way TTT is played and it adds to the enjoyment immensely. A dark and gloomy map with have more of a scary, serial killer vibe to it than a bright map.

I love cats. My cat ambushed me when I got out of the shower and attacked my dick.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 07:01:34 PM »

When I tried out the map on a TTT server, I got some really nice comments like "This is my new fav map!" "omg, this is awesome" "epic" and so on,
Where have I heard that before? Oh ya, cat. If I had a dollar for every mapper who excused his lazy mapping with "everyone on the server loves it" and "the gameplay is what's important and it's amazing" I could fund an iPhone.

Seriously, don't settle for ugly. At the very least change the map's name from "WhiteHouse" because you're just setting people up for disappointment.

JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »

A fun exercise it to just ignore ajunk's opinions. Doesn't stop him from repeating it over and over though.

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
ball2hi
Poster

~Xbye, manipulation, deception, destruction.

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »

A fun exercise it to just ignore ajunk's opinions. Doesn't stop him from repeating it over and over though.

Although I do somewhat agree with Ajunk. Gameplay > Looks. Although, having great gameplay is no excuse for having crappy looks. If you have the time, money, ect. to invest into making something that plays good, looks good, then hell you should do it.

EDIT-
But dont over-do it, last thing we need is more people complaining "The boat lags my computer! OMG NOT ENCLAVE!!!".
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:29:03 PM by ball2hi »
AndyTheGeeky
Build Tester

Wannabe Zoidberg

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 09:00:26 PM »

But dont over-do it, last thing we need is more people complaining "The boat lags my computer! OMG NOT ENCLAVE!!!".

What.

Signature Pending...
Pastor
Build Tester

Bewildering Transvestite Wasteland

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 09:33:50 PM »

Where have I heard that before? Oh ya, cat.

Theres a difference bettewn defaults textures, and YOU HATE DEV TEXTURES BECAUSE YOU DIDNT THINK OF IT GIRLFRIENDLESS FAGGOT DHFDSHFHFKDJFGKJH-

This. And if get annoying remember the frenchiness sometimes gets over him.

Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 04:34:07 PM »

Where have I heard that before? Oh ya, cat. If I had a dollar for every mapper who excused his lazy mapping with "everyone on the server loves it" and "the gameplay is what's important and it's amazing" I could fund an iPhone.

Seriously, don't settle for ugly. At the very least change the map's name from "WhiteHouse" because you're just setting people up for disappointment.

Well Gasdump was a great looking zm map and rarely got played, Diamond shoals and asylum were mediocre looking and were played far. far more.

Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 04:53:31 PM »

For starters, I never said a good looking map was automatically a fun one.

Second, Diamond shoals and asylum were just as good looking as they needed to be, and both look like crysis when put beside maps like this.

Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 05:36:36 PM »

For starters, I never said a good looking map was automatically a fun one.

Second, Diamond shoals and asylum were just as good looking as they needed to be, and both look like crysis when put beside maps like this.

So awful optimisation and level design?
Anyway the map looks as good as it needs too, lots of us like Canyon even though its not exactly eye candy.

Pages: [1] 2
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [WIP] TTT_WhiteHouse_A1 « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length