Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 02:49:36 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Suggestion: Silencer
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Suggestion: Silencer  (Read 12129 times)
Wat?
Poster

« on: November 08, 2009, 06:30:25 PM »

Instead of having silenced pistol why not  have silencer that can be applied to some primary weapon, or give you a silenced pistol.

Silenceable weapons should be mac10 (TMP model?), M16, and scout.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 07:26:39 PM »

Would be overpowered as fuck.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Wat?
Poster

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 07:37:32 PM »

Depends, you can hear silenced guns quite a far, and holding out a silenced gun would be dead giveaway whos the traitor.

Not to mention you need to accuire the gun first to apply the silencer.
Also some gun damages could be lowered due to reduced round velocity needed for effecient silencing.
Or the silencer effect could be limited to muzzle blast, leaving the bang caused by supersonic crack and retaining the normal damage (basically not just as effecient silencing).

Also higher caliber guns cant be as effeciently silenced as a pistol.

It would be as overpowered as it would be made to be, there is several factors that could be used for balancing.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 09:00:10 PM by Wat? »
CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 09:35:48 PM »

I'd be cool but would require a lot of custom models. And I doubt their will be any custom models added, at all.

Most Neutral Poster
Release: ZM_BlackMesa1, TTT_Bank, TTT_Backalley
All my maps start with "B" hmm...
Wat?
Poster

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 10:22:04 PM »

TMP could be the silenced MAc10 so that would leave models for only 2 guns.

So it would not be that much of models.
that guy
Build Tester

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 10:29:12 PM »

m16 already has a silenced model too.

I want to know who was the first person to rub barrels, must of been an epic moment like discovering fire or your sisters vibrator.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 11:05:36 PM »

Regardless of the fact that there's no silenced sniper model, there's also the fact that the silenced pistol's already balanced. This is a weapon that does 25 damage, has marginal accuracy, can still be heard from nearby, and is a a red flag if anyone sees it being held. Since the ability to apply this to a variety of weapons (long to short range) is empowering, you're going to have to balance each silenced weapon to be weaker than the current silenced pistol. Anything more and this idea would obviously be overpowered.

So basically, in order to keep your idea balanced, the effects of silencing any given gun would have to make that gun weaker than the weakest gun in the game (pistol).

Killroy
Build Tester

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 11:22:04 PM »

Could add it to weed out poor traitors.

I clicked on that link, but quickly closed the tab before it loaded upon realizing that the file name was whalecock.jpg.
Wat?
Poster

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 10:47:53 AM »

Regardless of the fact that there's no silenced sniper model, there's also the fact that the silenced pistol's already balanced. This is a weapon that does 25 damage, has marginal accuracy, can still be heard from nearby, and is a a red flag if anyone sees it being held. Since the ability to apply this to a variety of weapons (long to short range) is empowering, you're going to have to balance each silenced weapon to be weaker than the current silenced pistol. Anything more and this idea would obviously be overpowered.

So basically, in order to keep your idea balanced, the effects of silencing any given gun would have to make that gun weaker than the weakest gun in the game (pistol).

Making it weaker than the silenced pistol would make it underpowered, as you first need to accure the gun, and it still would take the primary gun slot (meaning that people can see you are hiding your primary when you dont pick up other primary guns). Also the balancing can be done on the silencer effect too, for instance it could jsut make the gun sound have 25% smaller radius.

I don't really see it that overpowered if it would jsut mean that normally my M16 can be heard from 100 meters, but with silencer you can hear it from max 75 meters.
Even with max 50m i dont see it that overpowered, only if it would be as silent as the silenced pistol then it would be.

It's easy to keep balanced.

And sure silenced sniper would be great, but you have to keep in mind that you can't  "quick draw" rifle for fast headshot unless you are in close range, so taking one out and aiming would be serious risk of blowing your cover. Not to mention that effecient silencing (sub-sonic shots) makes it snipers pretty useless, so it still should accomppany with a rather loud bang that is mainly just harder to locate.

Silenced pistol should retain its place as the most silent gun.
The others should be somewhat silenced, but not as silent as silenced pistol, more power comes with louder noise.

Mac10 could be the only gun along with the silenced pistol that has the "silenced pistol sound" the sound should be  just louder (than silenced pistol) and the damage could be slightly reduced (since sub sonic bullet velocities).

Not to mention that all the guns can already be "silenced", you jsut need to talk crap on the mic when you shoot.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:22:31 AM by Wat? »
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 01:40:39 AM »

So what your suggesting, is that adding the silencer doesn't actually make it silent, but instead makes it only kind of silent and less powerful, giving it a noise that is instantly identifiable as a traitor weapon at a range only slightly less than the current range?

Frankly, it looks like your amassing a list of dozens and dozens of work-arounds to balance an idea that's intrinsically unbalanced. Feel free to pitch your short story of an idea to tGB, but I do not see it ever going everywhere. You're basically trying to duplicate an already existing (and balanced) idea, pointlessly.

Wat?
Poster

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 03:35:59 AM »

I'm trying to enlarge, not duplicate the existing idea.
And what I am saying, changing those factors correctly can make it perfectly balanced, unless you want to make it over- or underpowered on purpose.

Basically the two realistic options are:
1. As powerful the origanal, same sound as the original just a bit more silent.
2. Truely silenced (but sill more louder the bigger caliber it has), but not as powerful

Basically this video tells it all.
supersonic is option 1 and subsonic is option 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taL7Vmip39s

I'm getting the feeling you have decided its overpowered, and any action taken to balance it should nerf it to hell.
But alas, there is more than the 2 extreme opposites, and between those two lies the balance.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 03:47:16 AM by Wat? »
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 01:08:07 PM »

What I've been saying over and over again is that since we already have a balanced silenced pistol, letting the silencer go on more guns (and much much stronger guns at that) is going to tip the scales farther than we can balance them back while still having a useful gun.

But feel free to continue listing various levels of real life silencing. We all know how real life is the best place to get balance for a videogames, and how it's totally easy to implement things from real life.

Pages: [1]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Suggestion: Silencer « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length