Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:55:13 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Last words experiment
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Last words experiment  (Read 19027 times)
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« on: October 24, 2009, 01:54:14 PM »

I've been working on an experimental thing that would let people draw something with their mouse as their last words (in their blood or something, even though it's viewed by searching the body), because I like working on fun gimmicks.

However, people have raised some decent points as to why allowing people to communicate something after dying would make it really hard for traitors. So in this thread I'd like some discussion on how it could be balanced. I don't want to spend time integrating it into the game only to find it has to be turned off to retain balance.

Some fairly logical ideas: no drawing if headshot; and let traitors search a body without identifying it immediately (so they can judge if a body contains sensitive info and should be removed).

Oh, here's a screenshot. Prototype quality etc.

I wrote "ajunk sux" here. The meter on the left is the blood-o-meter, which indicates how much more you can write. The limit is a technical one related to how much information can be sent to the server in one message. I could theoretically double it quite easily, but there will be a time limit as well so drawing more may not even be feasible (or necessary).
OctaneHugo
Build Tester

hey, prince, you need a shave

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 02:02:42 PM »

I like traitors searching bodies without identifying them - that's something I've always wanted in the game. I think that option should appear for everyone; A small box at the bottom of the search report with "Identify: Yes/No". I think with those balances and some others (no mic, quickchat, etc.) in the game this could work, as long as you couldn't see the person who killed you after you've died.

It's basically just like keeping your baby teeth when they fall out, except its a foot.
me
Build Tester

The dumbest name of them all

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »

How long are you going to be able to write stuff? 2-3 seconds?

I think if Sulkdodds and Marphy got into a fight the whole forum would explode.
I bung your mum.
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 02:35:21 PM »

Allow the traitors to 'cover up' the text so it smudges it/makes it harder to read. The body also on inspection says. "It appears the body has been tampered with"

But I like the idea. I like it a lot.

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
Shadow_Archmagi
Build Tester

Zeppking

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 03:02:30 PM »

I don't like the idea; it feels like it'd be hard to balance.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/brindlemovienight Movies! Xcoms!
"You died a noble death. Also, if that baby that was always near you was yours, it died a noble death too."
Secone
Build Tester

Welcome to the Church of Rock and Roll!

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 03:16:03 PM »

I really like this idea but I can't think up of a way to have it be perfectly balanced.

Worbat: When we're playing I love to hear him scream as I rape his ass 
9:19 PM - Nel: Why is my 16 year old son married to a 20 year old man
Citizen: I want to see Morpheus' big black penis damn it!
Citizen_001: I JUST WANT TO HIT A BABY
Milo
Build Tester

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »

This idea is awesome to the max, as long as you would be able to write brush pen style and not lines (I have a tablet and want to use it to draw entertaining doodles on my innocent victims).

And do what you did for the C4. Put it out to the public and see what their reaction is, then balance it accordingly.
OctaneHugo
Build Tester

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 03:22:41 PM »

I like the sound of tampering. Only traitors should be able to do it, though, and they should get a VERY limited supply of blood to write. So, scribbles, or maybe if they wanna get creative they can switch lines around.

It's basically just like keeping your baby teeth when they fall out, except its a foot.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 03:28:45 PM »

I like traitors searching bodies without identifying them - that's something I've always wanted in the game. I think that option should appear for everyone; A small box at the bottom of the search report with "Identify: Yes/No".

I'm not sure it should appear for innocent players, they have little reason not to confirm deaths.
I think with those balances and some others (no mic, quickchat, etc.) in the game this could work, as long as you couldn't see the person who killed you after you've died.

They would already be a dead spectator from the game's perspective, so chat and stuff will not help them (not that they could use keyboard stuff while the drawing window is open).

How long are you going to be able to write stuff? 2-3 seconds?

I don't know yet. Maybe 5 seconds. Keep in mind people have just died, so they need to suddenly switch from playing an FPS to writing something.

Allow the traitors to 'cover up' the text so it smudges it/makes it harder to read. The body also on inspection says. "It appears the body has been tampered with"

It's not really possible to smudge anything for technical reasons. Could remove strokes at random but that would look bad and not work that well. Let's assume the text can't be modified.

Actually drawing more stuff onto it would be more possible, but I'm not sure it would help that much. I mean if it says "AJUNK" you can strike it through but that won't prevent anyone from understanding what it says.

This idea is awesome to the max, as long as you would be able to write brush pen style and not lines (I have a tablet and want to use it to draw entertaining doodles on my innocent victims).

You hold down left mouse to paint, which I think is what you mean. However it will automatically simplify lines as much as possible and stuff, so probably no extensive artworks. Making round shapes costs you more "ink" than just straight lines. All for technical reasons, it's a lot of data to juggle around.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:29:50 PM by theGreenBunny »
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 03:31:45 PM »

I was thinking removed bits or added a lot over the top.

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
that guy
Build Tester

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 03:32:53 PM »

You could make blood splatters appear randomly on the tablet if you tamper with it.

I want to know who was the first person to rub barrels, must of been an epic moment like discovering fire or your sisters vibrator.
Milo
Build Tester

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 03:49:18 PM »

Aw man, oh well. I'll still doodle on them anyway.
OctaneHugo
Build Tester

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 03:49:55 PM »

You could make blood splatters appear randomly on the tablet if you tamper with it.

That'd be pretty neat.

Andyp
Poster

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 04:09:57 PM »

Im liking this idea :D. Although it does mean that when i get traitor ill have to rely on manipulation tactics more, but then again i love those XD.

The true Anthem of England: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJNic_XSwBo&feature=related
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 04:27:54 PM »

Yeah, that could work, just obscuring a random part (or parts) of the area.
CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 05:21:32 PM »

What if you made it so when you wrote it was jittery so it came out all messed up. That with a short time limit and limited writing can give away little and possible important information. I'll make an example in GIMP.

Edit:

Never mind GIMP's jitter effect works different then I thought.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 05:24:01 PM by CrazyChicken »

Most Neutral Poster
Release: ZM_BlackMesa1, TTT_Bank, TTT_Backalley
All my maps start with "B" hmm...
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 05:36:21 PM »

Sorry, but I don't like this idea. It's really going to kick the traitors in the nuts, like, way too hard.

HOWEVER, a neat way to use this mechanic would be writing/scrawling on walls while you're alive. While global voice chat and global text chat kind of make this less useful, it would still be pretty cool. You get a limited amount of ink each round, and traitors could erase it if they found it. Players in distress could try to hide messages before they died in hopes of someone finding it.

Goddammit this idea would be fantastic if talking wasn't global!

Anyways, I'm kind of drun

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Shadow_Archmagi
Build Tester

Zeppking

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 05:45:20 PM »

Aw man, oh well. I'll still doodle on them anyway.

"I think it's a TV"
"It's obviously a car"
"No you fool, it's a duck"
"Or a goose."
"A canadian goose?"
"AJUNK IS KILLEERRR"

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/brindlemovienight Movies! Xcoms!
"You died a noble death. Also, if that baby that was always near you was yours, it died a noble death too."
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »

What if you made it so when you wrote it was jittery so it came out all messed up. That with a short time limit and limited writing can give away little and possible important information. I'll make an example in GIMP.

The problem is getting a situation where the writing is not completely useless to survivors, but also not completely terrible for the traitors.

An option I've considered is interrupting the dead player's drawing if the traitor headshots his corpse. This is not without disadvantage for the traitor (noise, etc) and not always possible (when in a firefight, etc), but does offer a way to cut short any sensitive information. Especially for stealthy kills the traitor should be able to do this quickly and cleanly (if the kill was not a headshot already).

Sorry, but I don't like this idea. It's really going to kick the traitors in the nuts, like, way too hard.

HOWEVER, a neat way to use this mechanic would be writing/scrawling on walls while you're alive. While global voice chat and global text chat kind of make this less useful, it would still be pretty cool. You get a limited amount of ink each round, and traitors could erase it if they found it. Players in distress could try to hide messages before they died in hopes of someone finding it.

Goddammit this idea would be fantastic if talking wasn't global!

Anyways, I'm kind of drun

It's not feasible to stick drawings in the world, because decals are 1) unreliable client effects, and 2) have a limit (300 by default), while one piece of text such as the one in the screenshot would take 40-60 decals. I guess you could use pieces of paper that show the text when +use'd, but I'm not sure how useful it would be.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 06:53:14 PM by theGreenBunny »
Qloos
Poster

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 07:14:39 PM »

For 5 seconds after a player dies due to non headshot he gets to doodle.  But every time his corpse takes damage for those 5 seconds his canvas gets a blood spatter on it - possibly marring what he was writing.  So Traitors will mercilessly shoot at a corpse if they suspect the innocent knows who killed him. 
Pages: [1] 2 3
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Last words experiment « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length