Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:57:10 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: RDMing and such
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: RDMing and such  (Read 20365 times)
Shadow_Archmagi
Build Tester

Zeppking

« on: October 17, 2009, 03:47:32 PM »

So, originally, RDMing was a term reserved for people who joined the server not understanding the rules of serial killer; the ones who weren't interested in the "I THINK IT IS YOU!" mechanic.

Now it seems RDM is a label applied to every single kill any innocent makes and admins and players alike will bitch about it endlessly unless they have detailed proof (which they don't since "proof" always amounts to anecdotal evidence and both sides are full of bullshit)

Andy P was saying you really should have solid proof before killing someone, but I've always preferred to shoot as soon as I get too suspicious.

For example, we had one round where I had to get the phone so I hid on the ledge of a skyscraper for 90% of the round, and by the time I returned to the game only two people were alive. Both of them were sitting on rooftops with sniper rifles, and one was Near Death and was saying "Well I've been with this guy all round so it must be Shadow."

Not being a killer, I immediately suspected that he was the killer, since he was Near Death with a sniper in a sniping position suggesting to everyone that I should be shot. He claimed he'd been sniped by traitors and lost his HP that way. 

This isn't concrete evidence, but it's very suspicious, and since it's very easy for a killer to exterminate you without giving you a chance to fire back... it seems like the wiser choice to shoot first.

I was wrong about That Guy, BTW. It turned out he had been sniped and his base-mate was the traitor, despite him saying "I HAVE BEEN WITH HIM ALL ROUND AND HE DID NOTHING." So much for the observational skills of others.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/brindlemovienight Movies! Xcoms!
"You died a noble death. Also, if that baby that was always near you was yours, it died a noble death too."
Secone
Build Tester

Welcome to the Church of Rock and Roll!

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 03:53:21 PM »

WRONG AREA BRO

also, I'd have to agree with Andy P, there have been millions of times when I've been shot for literally doing nothing

Worbat: When we're playing I love to hear him scream as I rape his ass 
9:19 PM - Nel: Why is my 16 year old son married to a 20 year old man
Citizen: I want to see Morpheus' big black penis damn it!
Citizen_001: I JUST WANT TO HIT A BABY
OctaneHugo
Build Tester

hey, prince, you need a shave

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 04:24:58 PM »

Pretty much. I'm almost afraid to kill people I'm suspicious about because of the repercussions, and then they always end up killing me. :*(

It's basically just like keeping your baby teeth when they fall out, except its a foot.
Tactiger9
Poster

Wait, wut?

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 04:43:08 PM »

If the round is going smoothly and noone is dead then I wait until everyone is congregated into one room and I pull the trigger on my incinery grenade so noone knows its going off then I wait for it to explode me. Just to cause shit.

One I dropped acid and blacked out, when I came around it turned out that I spent the last eighteen hours playing Silent Hill 3, beat it with a decent score actually.
OctaneHugo
Build Tester

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 05:19:53 PM »

If it's a boring round I'll shoot at people from afar, with a rifle or a deagle.

It's basically just like keeping your baby teeth when they fall out, except its a foot.
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 05:21:58 PM »

Shoot near them not at them.

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
eeny
Build Tester

+1

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 06:14:46 PM »

Yeah, no. Shoot first is a bad way for innocents to play, for instance one guy held up in the testing room of thething, and shot anyone who opened the door. Sure, he killed 3 out of 4 traitors, but he also killed 6 innocents on top of that. I personally still follow the rules set in serial killer for killing someone, three warning a a warning shot, shoot if you have been shot at,kill them if you see them doing anything increminating, and the oh so popular, server majority.

On that note, what do you do if you see something suscpicious? Watch them. I remimber seeing a guy with a scout on top of the highest point in canyon, crouching and in a corner. I crouched and walked up behind him and just sat there waiting. He ended up shooting at someone not two seconds later, so I shotgunned him in the back and he was a traitor.

Getting bored? Take a walk around! I killed soduka that way the last time I played (or rather got him killed), he had just killed someone in a secluded area that I happened to be passing and I heard him burning the body. Three minutes later the mob I had stirred int oaction found and ended him.

Nobody Expects the Malkavian Inquisition!
Shadow_Archmagi
Build Tester

Zeppking

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 07:50:20 PM »

shot anyone who opened the door.

There's a difference between "I AM SHOOTING EVERYONE" and "You know, ultimately, I just don't trust you Andy"

"You died a noble death. Also, if that baby that was always near you was yours, it died a noble death too."
me
Build Tester

The dumbest name of them all

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »

I'm with shadow here. I always feel like I have enough concrete evidence to kill someone, but don't for fear of the imminent bitching.

I think if Sulkdodds and Marphy got into a fight the whole forum would explode.
I bung your mum.
Shadow_Archmagi
Build Tester

Zeppking

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 02:47:09 PM »

I'm with shadow here. I always feel like I have enough concrete evidence to kill someone, but don't for fear of the imminent bitching.

Honestly, I feel like "concrete" is excessive. I like to shoot people in circumstances where, ultimately, I could be wrong. It adds a bit of risk and excitement to being innocent.

me
Build Tester

The dumbest name of them all

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 03:37:44 PM »

Honestly, I feel like "concrete" is excessive. I like to shoot people in circumstances where, ultimately, I could be wrong. It adds a bit of risk and excitement to being innocent.

By "concrete" I mean "A strong sense that this is a traitor, be the evidence a suspicious weapon, odd placement, or being ehjunk"
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:09:07 AM by me »

I think if Sulkdodds and Marphy got into a fight the whole forum would explode.
I bung your mum.
OctaneHugo
Build Tester

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »

The goal of innocents are to

A) Kill traitors
B) Survive

Shooting someone you think is a traitor without concrete evidence means you are risking both of these. If he's innocent, you failed to kill a traitor, and you look like a traitor. Innocent Terrorists will turn against you in these situations, so like Zeppelin says, it adds risk and excitement to the game.

CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 08:53:58 PM »

I don't like when traitors accuse of RDM. Like how when a traitor is staring at you for 10 minutes and you tell him to leave. He doesn't so you put a bullet in his head to find he was a traitor after all. Then the next round he keeps saying how you RDM'd him. From then on everyone is very weary of shooting people when they are staring at them, alone. Only to find they were traitors.

Most Neutral Poster
Release: ZM_BlackMesa1, TTT_Bank, TTT_Backalley
All my maps start with "B" hmm...
eeny
Build Tester

+1

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 09:01:12 PM »

I don't like when traitors accuse of RDM. Like how when a traitor is staring at you for 10 minutes and you tell him to leave. He doesn't so you put a bullet in his head to find he was a traitor after all. Then the next round he keeps saying how you RDM'd him. From then on everyone is very weary of shooting people when they are staring at them, alone. Only to find they were traitors.

I tell everyone that if they were given a minimum of three warnings to leave, and they failed to comply and were shot, then it isn't rdm and to stop bitching.

Nobody Expects the Malkavian Inquisition!
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 09:32:01 PM »

RDM as a blanket term is pretty useless. For example, if you have even the slightest of suspicions it's not really random anymore (after all you have a reason), but that doesn't mean it's desirable behaviour.

Anyway, clearly it sucks when you're a traitor and you're running around like any other player when suddenly someone pops one in your head. It's far easier to swallow when someone voices clear suspicions, or warns you not to come in/leave. In both cases you are aware of the threat and you can at least try to avoid it, hence it does not feel as random. For this reason, if you want to kill people without good evidence, it's beneficial for the game to at least voice your suspicions, see if people agree, etc. More enjoyable for everyone involved.
Shadow_Archmagi
Build Tester

Zeppking

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 12:59:34 PM »

So, early today on Soduka's Server:

"Hey guys Time Traveller, Fartripper, and Biggus are all staring at me I am terrified for my life here in the underground oh wait they're walking away they're going up the elevator HAH one of them fell to his death oh god he was a traitor and if they were all hanging out together then-"
*shoots fartripper*
*an innocent has died*
"Well shit this looks really bad for me I guess they WEREN'T an evil death cult"
*gets on elevator*
*gets to the top*
*Gets hit in the face with crowbar for damage*
"Ah god damn you biggus! *shotguns*"
*an innocent has died*

OctaneHugo
Build Tester

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 06:41:16 PM »

That happened to me, like, 12 times yesterday. I had another foggy situation on country train: I was walking towards spawn a few minutes into the round from the radio place, and there were people hanging out there trying to figure traitors out. I saw Binary hiding in bushes nearby, and I decided to keep my eye on him. I walked up to the group and about 20 seconds later took a pistol shot. I turned around and saw Binary moving back into his hiding spot with a pistol out. "OH GOD IT'S BINARY HE'S HIDING IN BUSHES SHOOTING AT US!" I yelled. I started shooting at him. He killed me, I was innocent. The group killed him, HE was innocent.

In another round on downtown, there were 3 people left and I was one of them. I ran to the taco shack and saw one of the guys standing outside of an incendiary grenade fire. I shot him. *An innocent has died* I was then killed by the last traitor who was across the street in the gas station.

"octane, what the fuck" the innocent I murdered said.
"WELL DID YOU THINK STANDING OUTSIDE OF A GRENADE BLAST IN A DOORWAY WAS A GOOD IDEA"

Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 07:01:47 PM »

Shooting someone just because he's near a fire is a bit of a stretch.
Soduka
Poster

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 07:18:44 PM »

So, early today on Soduka's Server:

"Hey guys Time Traveller, Fartripper, and Biggus are all staring at me I am terrified for my life here in the underground oh wait they're walking away they're going up the elevator HAH one of them fell to his death oh god he was a traitor and if they were all hanging out together then-"
*shoots fartripper*
*an innocent has died*
"Well shit this looks really bad for me I guess they WEREN'T an evil death cult"
*gets on elevator*
*gets to the top*
*Gets hit in the face with crowbar for damage*
"Ah god damn you biggus! *shotguns*"
*an innocent has died*

I don't see that as RDMing.
OctaneHugo
Build Tester

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 08:51:54 PM »

Shooting someone just because he's near a fire is a bit of a stretch.

With 2 people left, and him standing outside of a much-contested place with a shotgun?

Pages: [1] 2
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: RDMing and such « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length