Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:56:12 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 ... 232
Author Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode  (Read 1700527 times)
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2860 on: May 31, 2010, 08:01:36 AM »

It can be very useful to keep walking while using it though, exactly because you're less vulnerable that way.

An extension of the simpler DNA scanner idea is the possibility to give it to all detectives by default in a separate slot, and then make a separate buyable "DNA databank" (or a better name) weapon. It would live in the equipment slot, store a heap of samples, and let you select the sample you want to scan for. Basically all the stuff that would get cut from the basic scanner.

The idea would be to have the basic functionality of the scanner easy to use and easily accessible so detectives always have it and can learn how to use it without feeling they waste credits, whereas expert detectives can get back to fiddling with samples by buying the databank.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2861 on: May 31, 2010, 02:33:22 PM »

I look forward to see what you come up with.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Blitzy!
Poster

« Reply #2862 on: June 01, 2010, 10:44:09 PM »

Have not seen this occur, nor does the code seem to have any obvious bugs in this area.
Good call, would have to be limited to only the latest one getting retrieved.

Still though, what I want to know is how often that (or other situations where multiple samples are needed) really comes up in practice.

It's usually necessary when several innocents can be trusted (either because they've killed a traitor, or called a traitor etc etc) and are now helping the detectives. An innocent notices a crime scene, an unidentified body and a couple of weapons scattered around. He finds one that he suspects was used by the killer.

Rather than publicly tell the detective the location of the weapon and ask him to get there (a high-risk decision, as the traitors will be on their way there too), the innocent takes the weapon and takes it to the detective himself. Course, his DNA's now all over the weapon. That's when multiple samples are needed, so you can remove the innocent from the list and thus, find the killer.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:45:17 PM by Blitzy! »
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2863 on: June 02, 2010, 10:52:44 AM »

Thanks, good example. I'll keep it in mind while I'm letting the ideas stew for a bit. I have some simpler additions I can make in the meantime.

By the way, garry just sent an update to Valve, and if it smooths out the datapack issues a bit I can release an update of my own soon.
JoTheShmo
Poster

« Reply #2864 on: June 04, 2010, 02:05:15 AM »

Fixed issues with datapack

Why yes it did.
CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #2865 on: June 05, 2010, 12:04:11 AM »

It's sad how much RDMing there is when an admin isn't playing on the server. I was playing ECgamers's server and this asshole shoots me in the head, while I was traitor, only a few minutes into the round. After I had done literally nothing. Then talks about how I was shooting at him. Then after I ranted about how he shot me with no reason no one believed me. A few rounds later I watched him shoot an innocent in the head which made the guy fall off the building. Much to my surprise no one else saw so I proceeded to shoot him. When I did this the guy said I was a RDMer and I got killed. I was surprised that no one saw him shoot the other guy in the face so I assumed he was the traitor and the other guy watching was a traitor too. That happens a lot. When the round was over I found he was an innocent, and the guy who watched him shoot the other guy in the face was a traitor. At that point I was too pissed off to keep playing, and rage quited.

I know its stupid to rant over RDMing but this guy played like a traitor every round and every round I found he was innocent. Yet, no one else noticed this.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:07:47 AM by CrazyChicken »

Most Neutral Poster
Release: ZM_BlackMesa1, TTT_Bank, TTT_Backalley
All my maps start with "B" hmm...
Nel
Poster

« Reply #2866 on: June 05, 2010, 12:21:01 AM »

Record a demo and post it on the server's forums, the admins will take care of it then.
Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #2867 on: June 05, 2010, 08:53:21 AM »

It's usually necessary when several innocents can be trusted (either because they've killed a traitor, or called a traitor etc etc) and are now helping the detectives. An innocent notices a crime scene, an unidentified body and a couple of weapons scattered around. He finds one that he suspects was used by the killer.

Rather than publicly tell the detective the location of the weapon and ask him to get there (a high-risk decision, as the traitors will be on their way there too), the innocent takes the weapon and takes it to the detective himself. Course, his DNA's now all over the weapon. That's when multiple samples are needed, so you can remove the innocent from the list and thus, find the killer.

Would it be possible for the innocents to have or a detective to hand out sample bags. These can be used on a weapon lying on the floor to let you pick it up, however while it's sample-bagged you cannot fire it and would have to throw it down to remove it from the bag or hand it to a detective. The plus side is that a sample bag preserves finger prints and doesn't accidentally add yours during carrying. It would probably give innocents more to do.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 08:54:40 AM by Tyrant T100 »

http://www.youtube.com/user/TyrantGrandburnin
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #2868 on: June 05, 2010, 06:04:17 PM »

Well im pretty sure that's one of the main drawbacks of the DNA scanner, being so vaunerable. But having it close with WASD would be nice.

I run with the screen up, being ready to click scan. On the side note of vulnerability, I don't use the binoculars for that reason. If you honestly just take a head count, and look at the unidentified bodies in the water, or bottom of pit you can figure out who they are. (with exceptions)

everything chicken said

Just a few screenshots would of done the trick. I know he RDMs, and trolls like crazy, but he's a good boy when I'm on, and that annoys me. I've been trying to catch Poe for a week now. I'm banning him harshly when I finally do.

Just grab some bottles and stick them in girls...
Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #2869 on: June 06, 2010, 01:11:35 PM »

Do you guys think a stalker themed map with blow-outs that require terrorists to run into buildings as cover, would work well in TTT?

Marauder8
Build Tester

Future Emperor of Antarctica

« Reply #2870 on: June 06, 2010, 01:39:20 PM »

It would if there were multiple buildings, each with a limit to how many can fit inside, so everyone has to split up into tiny groups. I love the idea.

THIS RAINCOAT IS FROM THE DEVIL
JoTheShmo
Poster

« Reply #2871 on: June 06, 2010, 06:57:40 PM »

I really think ttt_admin_logs should be accessible to everyone.
There's really no way it could be abused, and some server owners don't like their admins to actually be in adminlist.txt, meaning they can't see the logs.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2872 on: June 06, 2010, 07:06:55 PM »

I really think ttt_admin_logs should be accessible to everyone.
There's really no way it could be abused, and some server owners don't like their admins to actually be in adminlist.txt, meaning they can't see the logs.

How about the part where they say whether someone is a traitor, and even if they didn't they let you figure it out in fifty other ways as well?
Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #2873 on: June 06, 2010, 09:23:15 PM »

link=topic=9124.msg380324#msg380324 date=1275831560]
It would if there were multiple buildings, each with a limit to how many can fit inside, so everyone has to split up into tiny groups. I love the idea.

Not sure how practical it would be in source though.

Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2874 on: June 07, 2010, 02:12:53 PM »

link=topic=9124.msg380324#msg380324 date=1275831560]
How about you don't limit the number of people inside a building, because that's stupid and a good ol' fashioned C4 would have the same effect.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #2875 on: June 07, 2010, 03:06:39 PM »

How about you don't limit the number of people inside a building, because that's stupid and a good ol' fashioned C4 would have the same effect.

Combined with flammable nearby materials that might work surprisingly well.
I think if I attempt something like this it should have a swamp setting, because of Sources hatred for open terrain exteriors, large flora and foliage can easily be used to block the line of sight in a swamp setting.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:07:50 PM by Tyrant T100 »

FF|NedStar
Poster

Look into my eyes.

« Reply #2876 on: June 07, 2010, 05:29:33 PM »

Request: Storage of DNA scanner usage to the log file and end round report to prevent any possible abuse of the system. I could understand if it wouldn't go to end round report to prevent cluttering but log files and ttt_print_damagelog would be most useful to show up said events.

You're so buttmad faggot an admin who rdms and ghosts and lets his friends aimbot what a classy faggot, thank god half your server consists of asslickers otherwise nobody would play on your shitty server.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2877 on: June 07, 2010, 05:56:04 PM »

What exactly would you want logged? It's not feasible to log every single scan. I guess retrieving the sample could be logged, but definitely not in the round report as it could be spammed.
FF|NedStar
Poster

Look into my eyes.

« Reply #2878 on: June 07, 2010, 06:34:30 PM »

Retrieving a sample of the target would be more then enough information.

You're so buttmad faggot an admin who rdms and ghosts and lets his friends aimbot what a classy faggot, thank god half your server consists of asslickers otherwise nobody would play on your shitty server.
JoTheShmo
Poster

« Reply #2879 on: June 07, 2010, 10:25:31 PM »

How about the part where they say whether someone is a traitor, and even if they didn't they let you figure it out in fifty other ways as well?

Oh I didn't realize it was accessible during the round.
Maybe if you could add a very similar command that only shows the previous round, updating every time the round ends?
That solves all the problems of "I shot him beacause he shot me first!" and similar issues.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 ... 232
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length