Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:49:38 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 ... 232
Author Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode  (Read 1700074 times)
Darkest_97
Poster

Hi.

« Reply #1860 on: December 18, 2009, 01:07:10 AM »

I was playing today on borders and i was a traitor. My traitor friend plants c4 outside the test chamber as im inside. Then he says 10 secs run, in traitor chat. So im like, no theres 32 secs and BOOM.
After he told me he kept spamming wrong codes so the time would go down, but it didnt change for me in the c4 indicator thing on my hud.(not sure about on his)
But i guess thats kind of a problem either way though if you give traitors a time penalty or not.
Darkest_97
Poster

Hi.

« Reply #1861 on: December 18, 2009, 03:26:46 AM »

I was an innocent terrorist at one point today, in other words, i found a bug.
I was a traitor, it said so in the tab menu, but not on my screen. I could type in traitor chat but not speak in it. My other traitors confirmed i was typing in traitor at the time. And i couldnt open the traitor menu screen, or see the MIA.
At around the 11 min mark, out of nowhere, i could talk in traitor, buy equipment, and see the mia.

I think i remember this happening once before, and i think it only happens if you become a traitor when you join right as the round begins.

Some screens:

Showing me as traitor in tab, innocent on screen, and typing in traitor.
http://s978.photobucket.com/albums/ae270/Joey0977/?action=view&current=innoTrait1.jpg
http://s978.photobucket.com/albums/ae270/Joey0977/?action=view&current=innoTrait2.jpg
http://s978.photobucket.com/albums/ae270/Joey0977/?action=view&current=innoTrait3.jpg

Me becoming a traitor around 11.
http://s978.photobucket.com/albums/ae270/Joey0977/?action=view&current=innoTrait4.jpg

Edit: Sorry double post  =P
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 03:29:04 AM by Darkest_97 »
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1862 on: December 18, 2009, 07:50:47 AM »

I still have a problem with spawning with two magneto sticks on Downtown. Might be a zm map problem.

Does it only happen when you spawn at a certain location?

I get the impression Downtown is just a bit... quirky when it comes to spawn locations. The original issue of spawning without weapons was also caused by some strange spawnpoints on downtown. What you're getting might be a side effect of the fix for that original problem.

Can you increase round prep time(temp) after a map changes? It's annoying waiting for a whole round, or having only 4-6 people to play with for the first round of the new map.

It's hard to know what kind of post-mapload bonus to the prep time would make a difference. It would suck to have everyone wait a full minute or something.

Servers can also increase it without my involvement.

I think i remember this happening once before, and i think it only happens if you become a traitor when you join right as the round begins.

That seems a likely cause. I'll see what I can do.
Sailorfuku
Poster

« Reply #1863 on: December 18, 2009, 09:08:05 AM »

Hello Urgrain,

I had read multiple pages before that you said that a person would rather shoot the traitor instead of identifying him with last words, making it not so useful. Anyway, since a few days I got a really bad habit of luring possible traitors into dark corners, rooms or anything out of sight while turning my back to the traitor and writing his name into the chat (People claim this is afk'ing), so when I get killed it would display it. And I almost always helped my team to identify a traitor like this in the first few seconds of a round. And if a traitor suprises me while Im walking around (Expecting that the first hit doesn't kill me) I'll just write his name fast into the chat while he gives me the killing blow. I don't think I need to say that many traitors are unhappy with this kind of gameplay I do and want me gone, even server admins think It's not how this function was intended to be used (Calling the traitors name while dying). But I really enjoy identifying the traitor instead of hurting him and possibly get my corpse burned and no one will ever find it out who it was. Although some smart players I found already started to lay traps for me to get me instant killed while moving. Funnily enough it gets my Teamplay points to the highest though.

Anyway, Im wondering if this was how Last Words were intended to be, or just to be some funny gimmick.

Btw, I can write pretty fast.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 09:18:20 AM by Sailorfuku »
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #1864 on: December 18, 2009, 09:22:20 AM »

So you act as intel in stead of a dammage dealer.

Tell the traitors to wipe their eyes, and get better at not falling for obvious traps.

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1865 on: December 18, 2009, 09:42:34 AM »

So are you asking me if I intended a feature to be used in an overwrought manner to try and get traitor information in there on purpose, rather than playing like a normal person? The answer should be obvious.

Server admins should turn off printing last words in the chat (ttt_lastwords_chatprint), which defaults to off as well. When that is off, I don't consider it too big a problem: traitors should check your body, see if there are incriminating last words, and hide/burn the body if so.

Of course, they might prefer to just ban people who use a gameplay element they enjoy in a way that ruins their fun.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1866 on: December 18, 2009, 05:00:53 PM »

About that weapon placement tool for sandbox mode: I made that.

1. Place "weapons" in gmod sandbox using the STOOL. They're not weapons you can pick up, but dummy entities that look and act as the weapons do with regards to physics etc. So you can use the physgun to move them around, freeze them, etc.

2. Press "Export" in the tool menu. This will export the weapon and ammo positions to a .txt file in your /garrysmod/data/ttt/maps/ directory. File will be named like "mapname.txt". I call this file the weapon/ammo script for that map, or just weapon script. If you look at it, it's just a list of entity names and positions. You can manually delete entries and stuff with a text editor.

3. Move the script to the /garrysmod/maps/ directory.

4. Load up the map in TTT. Everything will spawn where you placed it (though it will fall down if its in the air, etc):

Any existing weapons will be removed from the map if a script is found for it. Server admins can go back to the map's original spawns using a cvar to turn off weapon scripts, or by deleting/renaming the script.

There will be a thread with info and such when the release is out, including where to find the tool addon etc. That will also serve as a place to collect user-made weapon scripts and such. I intend to include scripts for stuff like CS:S and HL2DM maps (ie. Valve's stuff) in the TTT zip. If you contribute some nice placements, yours may get used unless you hate me. Every single weapon script you export will have your nickname in it, so you're gonna get famous.
UnInvincible
Build Tester

SANTA SHAMBLER SEIZURE!

« Reply #1867 on: December 18, 2009, 06:12:16 PM »

O wow, amazing job tBG (BKU).

This expands the possibility for TTT maps by soooo much.

my game keeps crashing as it loads, (i have all the expansion packs including the apartment life) and i am hearing that it might possibly be a custom content problem? how do i remove custom content?
eeny
Build Tester

+1

« Reply #1868 on: December 18, 2009, 07:12:23 PM »

I never thought something like this was possible let alone that you would do it. You realize you just made every map fair game for TTT right?

I wonder how well some of the more open maps would work now that traitors have radar....

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:15:20 PM by eeny »

Nobody Expects the Malkavian Inquisition!
Rotinaj
Build Tester

the brave

« Reply #1869 on: December 18, 2009, 07:14:23 PM »

you just made very map fair game?

this is where you lose me
eeny
Build Tester

+1

« Reply #1870 on: December 18, 2009, 07:15:33 PM »

Oops forgot an e.

Nobody Expects the Malkavian Inquisition!
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #1871 on: December 18, 2009, 07:26:38 PM »

I. FUCKING. LOVE. YOU. BKU.

Also I was wondering with the random weapon spawns, would it be possible to tie a random weapon to a random ammo so that you could have the correct ammo spawn next to randomized gun?

Also can the STOOL place spawns as well?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:33:56 PM by JossiRossi »

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
UnInvincible
Build Tester

SANTA SHAMBLER SEIZURE!

« Reply #1872 on: December 18, 2009, 08:03:35 PM »

So guys...

Someone needs to get working on all those RP maps out there.

my game keeps crashing as it loads, (i have all the expansion packs including the apartment life) and i am hearing that it might possibly be a custom content problem? how do i remove custom content?
JossiRossi
Build Tester

« Reply #1873 on: December 18, 2009, 08:06:05 PM »

I'm working on rp_mountainvillage but ran into an issue I'm getting this error when I export "weapons\gmod_tool\stools/tttweaponplacer.lua:146: attempt to index global 'chat' (a nil value)"

I checked the file that's created and it's empty as well so something is stopping it from working right I think?

Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1874 on: December 18, 2009, 08:07:52 PM »

I never thought something like this was possible let alone that you would do it.

GMod is a real strength here. The sandbox mode with tools is the perfect place to add something like this because you already have the good physgun stuff in there. The STOOL framework means the interface/menu and such are quick and easy. The Lua stuff means exporting to a file is very easy. All together it means I can put something like this together in half an afternoon. The main technical insight behind it is that spawns are really just a position, so all you need is a good way to specify positions (see: placing with physgun etc), store them, and load them.

I. FUCKING. LOVE. YOU. BKU.

Also I was wondering with the random weapon spawns, would it be possible to tie a random weapon to a random ammo so that you could have the correct ammo spawn next to randomized gun?

Also can the STOOL place spawns as well?

It's hard to tie the random things together because the order in which they spawn would come into play, etc. It would be easier to have a field in the random weapon entity that made it pop out X boxes of its ammo. That works fairly well in the CS:S weapon spawning so it could work there as well. You wouldn't have exact control over the ammo placement that way, but it seems sufficient for most uses.

The tool can't place spawns yet, although the possibility has occurred to me. They are a bit less straightforward because players aren't like props, so it'd be harder to intuitively leave enough room between them so players fit etc. There's also the issue of whether existing spawns should be removed or new ones just added in. Would probably need an extra STOOL checkbox for that, stored in the script. Let's see if the weapon stuff works out first.

I'm working on rp_mountainvillage but ran into an issue I'm getting this error when I export "weapons\gmod_tool\stools/tttweaponplacer.lua:146: attempt to index global 'chat' (a nil value)"

I checked the file that's created and it's empty as well so something is stopping it from working right I think?

Are you running it in singleplayer or on a listenserver? Try the other one. It's a client/server thing and STOOLs are weird about that. It's easy to fix but see if that changes anything.

edit: It should still write the file actually, but the fact that it doesn't might also be related to the SP/MP thing. I believe I was running SP when testing it.

edit2: Oh wait, also try this in the console:
tttweaponplacer_frozen 0

I forgot to disable that by default, it will break things when on.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:12:55 PM by Bad King Urgrain »
JossiRossi
Build Tester

« Reply #1875 on: December 18, 2009, 08:12:12 PM »

I didn't explain too well sorry. It does create the file as it should and even gives the initial export info on the map and who did it ect. It's just no other info is provided. I did it in singleplayer but will try starting up a multiplayer.

[edit]
Setting tttweaponplacer_frozen 0 did it. It exported fine and seems to have all the correct info. Now to test it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:15:42 PM by JossiRossi »

Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1876 on: December 18, 2009, 08:17:01 PM »

I'm 99% certain it's this:
edit2: Oh wait, also try this in the console:
tttweaponplacer_frozen 0

I forgot to disable that by default, it will break things when on.

So I've reuploaded the .zip with that fixed. Not of interest for server admins, only for people messing with the STOOL.

edit: Okay, good to have it confirmed.
JossiRossi
Build Tester

« Reply #1877 on: December 18, 2009, 08:19:50 PM »

It seems to be working fine! Did both a single and multiplayer ttt server and everything loaded fine.

Player spawns would be rad eventually but with the original spawns on maps and the fact you already added functionality to spawn players even if there are no more available spawns (although sometimes people do end up in walls) it's not too major an issue.

Qloos
Poster

« Reply #1878 on: December 18, 2009, 10:08:19 PM »

The C4 is always set for 1 minute, rarely if ever do traitors increase the time for it as there is no point.  What if the size of the explosion/volume of the beeping the C4 makes was proportional to the C4's timer.

Longer wait, larger explosion and or quieter beeper. 
JossiRossi
Build Tester

« Reply #1879 on: December 18, 2009, 10:11:11 PM »

I set it high sometimes to clear out areas and prevent people from getting near it. And if someone does brave it I blast them. It's a fun way to do area denial.

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 ... 232
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length