Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 09:05:19 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 ... 232
Author Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode  (Read 1698739 times)
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1500 on: November 20, 2009, 02:43:34 PM »

The true fix here is to remove the instant chat printing of Last Words, and limit it to the body search. This is not desirable at first glance, but does have significant advantages:
- Smaller benefit for slow typing in communicating information.
- Corpses more valuable to find, so traitors have more benefit from hiding them
- Equalising the death of someone who is typing with the death of someone who isn't. Right now Last Words are like a death notification.

A related idea: what if the identity of the last person you looked at (ie. ID'd) was automatically stored on your dead body? Basically, it's last words for everyone on their corpse, and similar to the notes idea in that respect. There's also a significant chance of it being incorrect if the traitor was not ID'd by the victim. Traitors can exploit this by killing someone who hasn't seen them and not burning the body if it indeed incriminates someone else. It also wouldn't encourage chat spamming, slow typing, or any other detrimental behaviour (people already aim at each other constantly).
Notary
Poster

United forever for friendship and labour

« Reply #1501 on: November 20, 2009, 04:22:22 PM »

The crowbar will always be able to just press buttons as you would with the use key

If I use ttt_map_settings crowbar is still more powerful than pressing use. To give a full control over the door to the map logic I usually just disable "Use opens" flag so there is no way for player to open the door other than doing something determined by me. However, crowbar completely ignores unchecked "Use opens" flag and opens the door.

Just unckecking "use opens" flag is much more easier and convenient than firing multiple lock and unlock outputs for different events.

Also, I think that would be a good idea if ttt_map_settings would start working only when output is fired to it. That way I would be able to put multiple ttt_map_settings in the map and setting different models for each other. Then I'd fire an output from logic_case and every round there's a new model - that way there could be much more models than just four terrorists.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:39:32 PM by Notary »

Made in the USSR

My level design gallery
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1502 on: November 20, 2009, 04:48:23 PM »

If I use ttt_map_settings crowbar is still more powerful than pressing use. To give a full control over the door to the map logic I usually just disable "Use opens" flag so there is no way for player to open the door other than doing something determined by me. However, crowbar completely ignores unchecked "Use opens" flag and opens the door.

Just unckecking "use opens" flag is much more easier and convenient than firing multiple lock and unlock outputs for different events.

Edit: looks like func_door_rotating can't be opened with crowbar with unchecked "use opens" flag while func_door can.

I'll add a check for that flag so crowbars only open things that you can open with +use when the setting is enabled.

Also, I think that would be a good idea if ttt_map_settings would start working only when output is fired to it. That way I would be able to put multiple ttt_map_settings in the map and setting different models for each other. Then I'd fire an output from logic_case and every round there's a new model - that way there could be much more models than just four terrorists.

Wouldn't it be sufficient if the entity took a "SetPlayerModel" output, with a string of a model path its parameter? The other settings need to change, after all.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1503 on: November 20, 2009, 07:37:42 PM »

New version up: http://www.zombiemaster.org/smf/index.php?topic=9303.new#new

I checked if there was any way to disable the "pickup" sound when giving traitors their buys, but it does not appear to be possible. Just have to be careful I guess.
CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #1504 on: November 21, 2009, 08:10:50 AM »

We need a afk system. I was a traitor an one was afk the other was not doing shit. When he came back he said.

({SM})Shirosaki300: im back
({SM})Shirosaki300: oh shit
({SM})Shirosaki300: im traitoe
*gets raped by innocents*

Most Neutral Poster
Release: ZM_BlackMesa1, TTT_Bank, TTT_Backalley
All my maps start with "B" hmm...
ball2hi
Poster

~Xbye, manipulation, deception, destruction.

« Reply #1505 on: November 21, 2009, 08:36:16 AM »

Also, at the end of each round everyone kills eachother. Does killing eachother or being killed at the end of every round affect your score on the scoreboard? If it does then i suggest that after the round ends all scores are frozen until the next round or something.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1506 on: November 21, 2009, 09:18:32 AM »

What happens after the round ends does not affect your score.
Notary
Poster

« Reply #1507 on: November 21, 2009, 10:30:40 AM »

Wouldn't it be sufficient if the entity took a "SetPlayerModel" output, with a string of a model path its parameter?

I believe this may work, there's no difference for mapper between these two ways.

Made in the USSR

My level design gallery
Notary
Poster

« Reply #1508 on: November 21, 2009, 07:08:06 PM »

There's an occasional weird bug when firing a gun at someone does no damage at all. I was standing right in fron of person and shot him. I didn't miss, I've seen blood on the wall behind the person I was shooting at. I fired a single shot and was killed, then I looked at the person I was fighting with and he was healthy

Made in the USSR

My level design gallery
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1509 on: November 21, 2009, 07:59:57 PM »

The Source engine will predict the result of your shot on your own computer (ie. the client), and uses that to draw clientside effects like blood. This means that seeing blood does not reliably indicate whether the server registered a hit. I realize that "lag" is an unsatisfying answer, but that's really the most likely cause here.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #1510 on: November 21, 2009, 08:40:02 PM »

The true fix here is to remove the instant chat printing of Last Words, and limit it to the body search. This is not desirable at first glance, but does have significant advantages:
- Smaller benefit for slow typing in communicating information.
- Corpses more valuable to find, so traitors have more benefit from hiding them
- Equalising the death of someone who is typing with the death of someone who isn't. Right now Last Words are like a death notification.

A related idea: what if the identity of the last person you looked at (ie. ID'd) was automatically stored on your dead body? Basically, it's last words for everyone on their corpse, and similar to the notes idea in that respect. There's also a significant chance of it being incorrect if the traitor was not ID'd by the victim. Traitors can exploit this by killing someone who hasn't seen them and not burning the body if it indeed incriminates someone else. It also wouldn't encourage chat spamming, slow typing, or any other detrimental behaviour (people already aim at each other constantly).
I like this a lot, although it will shift the game's balance. Perhaps to shift it back just a bit, include all chat messages the victim typed in the last two minutes. You could say they were written in his journal. If you want to be clever, if he's killed while typing you could have that journal entry's last log scribble off at the end or something to denote violence. Maybe that's too much work though.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
ball2hi
Poster

~Xbye, manipulation, deception, destruction.

« Reply #1511 on: November 21, 2009, 08:47:37 PM »

I like this a lot, although it will shift the game's balance. Perhaps to shift it back just a bit, include all chat messages the victim typed in the last two minutes. You could say they were written in his journal. If you want to be clever, if he's killed while typing you could have that journal entry's last log scribble off at the end or something to denote violence. Maybe that's too much work though.

An interesting Idea would be that, like Ajunk said, make it so that the last 2min of what they typed is put into a journal. When they die people that inspect their bodies can see what they typed up to 2min before they died, and traitors, can scrible out an entire line of text if they want but it requires 3seconds of standing still. While scribbling out the text it could make a little writting sound that is hearable by people standing close by (And not through walls).
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1512 on: November 21, 2009, 09:24:03 PM »

I don't understand this suggestion. The journal thing is the same as the "make last words go further back" concept. Both would make it very valuable to chat at all times who is near you or looking at you. The entire point of using ID-ing instead of chat text is to avoid people constantly "logging" in the chat what they're doing, which would be really annoying. We've kind of been over that before, or perhaps it seems that way because I keep having to explain it when people suggest this during games. Either way, logging chat in any way whatsoever will be terrible.

A way to do this while avoiding chatspam would be to replace the innocent teamchat (which is currently just disabled) with a journalling thing. Like a little chat-like window you can type short messages in, with only the 5 most recent fitting in the journal, which will end up on your body. Of course, that is likely to be a massive balance changer, and would discourage the "gain innocent's trust and murder him" school of traitorship, which would be bad. The likely fix involves letting traitors mess with the text, which then instantly voids the journal of use for innocents (because the text cannot be trusted) and means you might as well not have it at all.
Marauder8
Build Tester

Future Emperor of Antarctica

« Reply #1513 on: November 21, 2009, 10:08:06 PM »

A pen as an equipment piece which allows you to edit the journel but only x amount of times.

THIS RAINCOAT IS FROM THE DEVIL
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #1514 on: November 21, 2009, 11:12:05 PM »

A way to do this while avoiding chatspam would be to replace the innocent teamchat (which is currently just disabled) with a journalling thing. Like a little chat-like window you can type short messages in, with only the 5 most recent fitting in the journal, which will end up on your body. Of course, that is likely to be a massive balance changer, and would discourage the "gain innocent's trust and murder him" school of traitorship, which would be bad. The likely fix involves letting traitors mess with the text, which then instantly voids the journal of use for innocents (because the text cannot be trusted) and means you might as well not have it at all.
I like this a lot. How about instead of letter traitors mess with the text, they can simply steal the journal from the corpse? Sure it makes the journal less useful, but the innocents get it for free anyway. Since the traitors now have to watch out for it, it works against them. It's like of like the innocent's black box. On the other side, if you (as a traitor) really gain someone's trust, the journal could even say good things about you.

Also, it would just be a fun game mechanic to check a traitor's dead body and read the journals he stole.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
OctaneHugo
Build Tester

hey, prince, you need a shave

« Reply #1515 on: November 21, 2009, 11:25:38 PM »

How about a traitor can steal two journals a round? That way he can read them, and decide if he wants to take it or not.

It's basically just like keeping your baby teeth when they fall out, except its a foot.
Pyro93735
Poster

« Reply #1516 on: November 22, 2009, 01:44:33 AM »

I think hiding/obfuscating journals is already sufficiently addressed within TTT - traitors already hide bodies or burn them if they can in order to remove themselves from implication in the crime. Leaving a body lying around sans a journal just sounds like sloppy traitor work to me. Letting a traitor read the journal and thus decide whether or not the body should be hidden would be a good idea, so long as there's a drawback such as a two second freeze.

Service with a smile :D
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #1517 on: November 22, 2009, 10:29:09 AM »

I picked up SLAM ammo the other day.

Is it being used for something?

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1518 on: November 22, 2009, 10:37:41 AM »

No. I would hypothesize that you picked up a SLAM that somehow passed through the entity replacement (perhaps it came from a breakable ammo crate on a hl2dm map?), and even though the weapon got removed as soon as you picked it up, the ammo did not (but of course couldn't be used for anything).
Sly
Poster

« Reply #1519 on: November 22, 2009, 12:52:58 PM »

Hey, a little random, but how do you turn Detective mode on? I can't find any documentation on it.

Less random:

I think that journals aren't necessary, finding bodies are fine really. The last words system is pretty effective, the only suggestion I have is for innocent-only equipment, but traitors can buy it too, not making it an instant innocence proof tool.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:54:23 PM by Sly »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 ... 232
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length