Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 09:11:00 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 ... 232
Author Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode  (Read 1699024 times)
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #4080 on: December 21, 2010, 10:34:29 AM »

That's unexpected, I wasn't contacted at all or anything, but neat. Of course the little video clip is... not a very good depiction, but TTT just doesn't lend itself to 10 second clips.

Would you consider removing the confirmation button for destroying C4?  In a few scenarios I have called out a C4, defused it, and then tried to destroy it but another innocent came up and stole it right in front of my face (and then planted it and killed other innocents, but that's irrelevant).  Or perhaps only have one person able to interact with the C4 at a time, so that two people cannot try defusing/grabbing/destroying it at once?

You can practically doubleclick it to destroy it almost instantly. I understand your viewpoint here, but if I make it instant then in a week I will get complaints from Traitors who accidentally destroyed their C4.
Spartan
Poster

« Reply #4081 on: December 21, 2010, 08:09:06 PM »

Found a bit of an issue with the hanging bodies. When a body is hung and is swinging from the rope, the server can suffer quite an increase in latency, or lag. I watched for a round as a body was swinging from the rope. The pings before-hand were normal, during the swinging all the pings were in their hundreds then once it stopped swinging and were stationary the pings began to drop again. I thought maybe it was a coincidence. The moment someone threw a discombobulator at all the bodies, they all fell and ofcourse the server started lagging again.

I have it set so only traitors can hang bodies too.

I'm wondering if perhaps this happened before bodies were able to be hung anyway. The time it takes for a body to fall to the floor and become stationary makes any fluctuations unnoticable or unrelatable. Although when bodies have been picked up with magneto sticks nothing seems to happen.

Can you think of anything that might be causing this increase in lag?
GrayScare0
Poster

« Reply #4082 on: December 21, 2010, 08:53:43 PM »

You can practically doubleclick it to destroy it almost instantly. I understand your viewpoint here, but if I make it instant then in a week I will get complaints from Traitors who accidentally destroyed their C4.

Yeah, that's really not as much of a problem as having two people screw with the C4 at once, I suppose.  I can see how a traitor might simply not doubleclick unless trying to destroy, and that is indeed helpful.

Also, I agree with the ten second video thing.  It was kind of weird how the rest of the video was a bunch of intense scenes with music in the background, then TTT popped up with a couple guys on the rooftop talking.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #4083 on: December 21, 2010, 09:46:46 PM »

It's quite possible that moving ragdolls cause lag, though like all lag situations it will depend on the server and the playercount etc. In most situations ragdolls will fall asleep (ie. physics system stops simulating them) after a few seconds though.

There's nothing I can do to improve such things. I would recommend disabling ragdoll pinning if you feel it's too bothersome.
Raneman
Poster

Shitposter

« Reply #4084 on: December 22, 2010, 10:08:35 PM »

Could you make it so you can get DNA off of live players? And make the signal stronger then regular DNA.
Raneman
Poster

Shitposter

« Reply #4085 on: December 24, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »

Also, I found a solution to the disconnected section of the scoreboard, just have some nice and easy variables print some information.

There were x people at the start of the round.
y were traitors.
There have been z people found dead.
a were traitors.
Moosey
Poster

« Reply #4086 on: December 26, 2010, 07:07:34 AM »

Hey Bad King Urgrain,
Great job with TTT!
Been playing it all this year :D!

I was wondering if it would be possible to either mute All-Alive mic's, or have a sound spam that makes peoples mic's unlistenable.
I'm a programmer, but I've never programmed LUA until recently, and I want to try my luck at a weapon that Traitors can pull out, and plant - which lasts for 15 seconds that disables everyones mic.
This way a traitor would be able to kill a couple guys that have wondered off without the second one yelling out for help.
If you could give me any indication on how to set alive mic (not traitor mic)'s volume to '0' for a set time in LUA, that would be awesome!

(I actually read about a few people trying to do this but I didn't see the end result or progress)

Cheers,
Moosey
Killroy
Build Tester

« Reply #4087 on: December 26, 2010, 07:25:34 AM »

You can mute the living. Just tap ALT and it will mute spectators or innocents in a cycle.

I clicked on that link, but quickly closed the tab before it loaded upon realizing that the file name was whalecock.jpg.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #4088 on: December 26, 2010, 01:32:35 PM »

Hey Bad King Urgrain,
Great job with TTT!
Been playing it all this year :D!

I was wondering if it would be possible to either mute All-Alive mic's, or have a sound spam that makes peoples mic's unlistenable.
I'm a programmer, but I've never programmed LUA until recently, and I want to try my luck at a weapon that Traitors can pull out, and plant - which lasts for 15 seconds that disables everyones mic.
This way a traitor would be able to kill a couple guys that have wondered off without the second one yelling out for help.
If you could give me any indication on how to set alive mic (not traitor mic)'s volume to '0' for a set time in LUA, that would be awesome!

(I actually read about a few people trying to do this but I didn't see the end result or progress)

Cheers,
Moosey

This is fairly difficult if you're new to gmod's Lua stuff, because you have to understand how hooks work etc. There's no easy function to call that just disables someone's mic.

This is the hook you'd have to use: Gamemode.PlayerCanHearPlayersVoice

You'd use it a little like this:
local function MuteDeviceHook(listener, speaker)
  -- don't affect spectators or traitors
  if speaker:IsTerror() and (not speaker:IsTraitor()) then
      -- check if a mute device has been planted, maybe check if the speaker is
      -- close enough, whatever you want...
      local mute = ShouldSpeakerBeMuted(speaker)

-- return false to prevent the listener from hearing the speaker
      return (not mute)
  end

-- do nothing for all other cases, so TTT can do its own thing for those
end
hook.Add("PlayerCanHearPlayersVoice", "MyMuteDeviceHook", MuteDeviceHook)

Of course you need to define "ShouldSpeakerBeMuted" there to check if a mute device has been planted, stuff like that. That's up you.
Raneman
Poster

Shitposter

« Reply #4089 on: December 26, 2010, 03:10:56 PM »

I was thinking, some Traitors are a bit nervous and need some time to setup before a kill. How about a gun that mutes and gags people so the can't talk, but can fight back?
Tommynator
Poster

Tommynator is a traitor!

« Reply #4090 on: December 26, 2010, 08:29:04 PM »

Can you remove the blood before the traitors are chosen ? It'll help a bit the innocents to find the hidden corpses. Because actually we don't know if the blood is from stoopid guys crowbaring everyone in preparing.

Edit : And I have an idea of feature - dunno if it's good or not -. What about a compass ? When an innocent is being attacked he could at least show the direction of the shoots, or his position before he dies.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:31:58 PM by Tommynator »
Raneman
Poster

Shitposter

« Reply #4091 on: December 26, 2010, 11:00:07 PM »

BKU, I know you don't want to make TTT into a full game, but if you did, there would be a lot of money in it for you. Game design really seems to be a natural skill for you, and if you wanted you could easily raise the money it takes to license the Source Engine and a few other basic development costs. You don't seem confident in yourself, but Trouble in Terrorist Town is a legend, and you have thousands of people that have logged 100+ hours in it. You already have the awareness for your game, and your growing community could do the marketing for you.  Honestly, there's lots of money in this industry for you if you put your heart into it, and you certainly seem to have quite the heart to put into this industry.
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #4092 on: December 27, 2010, 05:43:31 AM »

BKU has a knack for sitting down, committing, and making something good. Frankly, people often say to make TTT into a full game, I'd rather see him develop something new and not reliant on gmod.

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
Moosey
Poster

« Reply #4093 on: December 27, 2010, 09:00:48 AM »

This is fairly difficult if you're new to gmod's Lua stuff, because you have to understand how hooks work etc. There's no easy function to call that just disables someone's mic.

This is the hook you'd have to use: Gamemode.PlayerCanHearPlayersVoice

You'd use it a little like this:
local function MuteDeviceHook(listener, speaker)
  -- don't affect spectators or traitors
  if speaker:IsTerror() and (not speaker:IsTraitor()) then
      -- check if a mute device has been planted, maybe check if the speaker is
      -- close enough, whatever you want...
      local mute = ShouldSpeakerBeMuted(speaker)

-- return false to prevent the listener from hearing the speaker
      return (not mute)
  end

-- do nothing for all other cases, so TTT can do its own thing for those
end
hook.Add("PlayerCanHearPlayersVoice", "MyMuteDeviceHook", MuteDeviceHook)

Of course you need to define "ShouldSpeakerBeMuted" there to check if a mute device has been planted, stuff like that. That's up you.

Cheers for the reply, I'll get to work on this.
As a second question, do you know how the disguiser that makes you appear as another player was coded? Just a general function or array that calls for players names.

And my mate had a suggestion for a feature in the mod:
A little icon above players heads
that can be seen through walls for spectators, that displays peoples locations?
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #4094 on: December 27, 2010, 01:44:53 PM »

New in SVN:
- Changed health station mechanics, now you have to hold USE on it while it's healing you.
- gm_* maps should now get excluded from fretta votes.

Can you remove the blood before the traitors are chosen ? It'll help a bit the innocents to find the hidden corpses. Because actually we don't know if the blood is from stoopid guys crowbaring everyone in preparing.

I'll experiment with it, see if it doesn't cause problems.

Compass doesn't seem useful enough in practice, map landmarks are easier to understand and communicate.

Cheers for the reply, I'll get to work on this.
As a second question, do you know how the disguiser that makes you appear as another player was coded? Just a general function or array that calls for players names.

And my mate had a suggestion for a feature in the mod:
A little icon above players heads
that can be seen through walls for spectators, that displays peoples locations?

Don't know the details of custom equipment people have made. There are many ways in which you could accomplish that, typically it involves modifying cl_targetid.lua.
Moosey
Poster

« Reply #4095 on: December 27, 2010, 02:17:23 PM »

Cool, it's just on a few maps, so I figured people may have shown you.

But about the little indicators, just so spectators can spectate a 1 on 1, and know where the players are from eachother (lots of maps are highly confusing)...

as a side note this time...

where abouts are you from?
Raneman
Poster

Shitposter

« Reply #4096 on: December 27, 2010, 02:54:41 PM »

BKU, if you want to solve the blood stain problems, when the round starts force r_cleardecals on the server and all the clients.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #4097 on: December 27, 2010, 03:35:18 PM »

Cool, it's just on a few maps, so I figured people may have shown you.

But about the little indicators, just so spectators can spectate a 1 on 1, and know where the players are from eachother (lots of maps are highly confusing)...

as a side note this time...

where abouts are you from?

I'll think about indicators.

I live in the Netherlands.

BKU, if you want to solve the blood stain problems, when the round starts force r_cleardecals on the server and all the clients.

I know.
Raneman
Poster

Shitposter

« Reply #4098 on: December 27, 2010, 05:45:22 PM »

Well, lately I've been wondering what we could do to increase teamwork between traitors. Any ideas, guys?
GrayScare0
Poster

« Reply #4099 on: December 27, 2010, 08:48:13 PM »

Well, sharing credits is already in and is awesome.  Sharing ammo would b nice too.  But the best thing you can do is use traitor chat and coordinate your purchases, your equipment use, and your strikes.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 ... 232
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length