Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2024, 07:54:27 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 ... 232
Author Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode  (Read 1696569 times)
Qloos
Poster

« Reply #2460 on: February 24, 2010, 07:07:47 AM »

The new dna sampler is confusing as hell.  A jumble of icons and buttons which seems to make no sense.  How am I supposed to figure out which gun is which in all these samples?  I swear I saw the number of dna prints go down to 0 for a gun I checked to have 2 and if that's normal thats even more confusing.

The original system was fine.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2461 on: February 24, 2010, 09:11:50 AM »

So what does the beacon do? What use is it?

Indicating a location that you want people to come to or stay away from.

Dropping it when under attack is quite clever and I hadn't thought of it. The traitor could choose to shoot the beacon though so it's not without a counter.

Why not being able to get credits using binoculars from far away?  I mean if a detective falls down a well that seems kind of like a waste.

Binoculars are powerful enough without it.

Please make Body Armor available to detectives.

A characteristic of all Detective equipment so far is that it helps all innocent players rather than just maximizing the survival chances of the Detective. I don't want to add ego-equipment like body armor for Detectives because that will become a guaranteed buy to maximize their lifetime, instead of spending it on something with wider utility.

If possible, please add to the corpse information the HP the player had maybe one second before death, or immediately before the final deathblow. It would be useful but not game-breaking, hopefully. Unsure of how viable it is, but would be nice if possible.

The vast majority of deaths are from people who were fully healthy before they got in a firefight, so the number would just be directly related to the attacker's weapon (which is already listed) and if he got a headshot (also listed). Note that damage is applied instantly, so when someone is shotgunned you wouldn't even get something like "50 HP", you'd get "6 HP" because that would be his health just before the last pellet hit.

The new dna sampler is confusing as hell.  A jumble of icons and buttons which seems to make no sense.  How am I supposed to figure out which gun is which in all these samples?  I swear I saw the number of dna prints go down to 0 for a gun I checked to have 2 and if that's normal thats even more confusing.

The original system was fine.

It's divided into sections with titles like "STEP 1 <description". It's only a jumble that makes no sense if you don't take time to understand it. In fact, it's pretty simple: click a player icon, click an item icon, click match. Occasionally remove the item/player samples you don't care about anymore. That's it.

I would not recommend haphazard collecting of samples from all guns you see. The idea is you collect samples from 2-3 specific weapons that you believe were used by a traitor and then match them to people you suspect.

The number of samples on a gun should not reset. It would help if I knew what gun it was and perhaps if anything happened to it in between the first time you checked it and the second.

The original system was not fine, because it was impossible to allow you to check who used traitor equipment without instantly giving them away. In a sense the old system was for checking who had used any random weapon, whereas the new one is really more for traitor weapons or perhaps specific discarded guns (ie. if many rifle kills were made and you see a discarded rifle near a corpse).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:52:44 AM by Bad King Urgrain »
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2462 on: February 24, 2010, 06:23:12 PM »

I haven't used the system yet, but can you sample DNA from dead bodies? I would be nice to see if a knife matches a dead traitor body rather than fruitlessly checking everyone for a sample that doesn't exist.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a screenshot of this thing in action?

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2463 on: February 24, 2010, 06:33:19 PM »

I haven't used the system yet, but can you sample DNA from dead bodies? I would be nice to see if a knife matches a dead traitor body rather than fruitlessly checking everyone for a sample that doesn't exist.

Not yet. I left that option open just in case sampling knives was hard to do, in which case it would be possible to make corpses give the knife's DNA samples. I don't think that turned out to be the case in practice, so once I've added some HUD enhancements (an indicator for whether you're targeting an item or a player/body) I can allow sampling bodies.
Qloos
Poster

« Reply #2464 on: February 24, 2010, 08:35:55 PM »

Considering the complexity of maps and the massive number of locations a traitor could hide his traitor equipment.  I don't see a problem with the old system.  Furthermore, if he's that worried about it, he can hold onto his equipment.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2465 on: February 24, 2010, 09:01:42 PM »

Can't hold on to a C4 you want to plant, or a knife you stick in someone's back. It's not really up for discussion: I'm not going to throw away the current system and revert to the old one, so your best bet is suggesting improvements to the current one rather than arguing against its existence.

One thing that will improve in next version is that when you aim at an item it will show an identifying number on the HUD, which will also be listed in the sampler window's tooltips for all samples taken from that item. So at least there will be a way of telling whether you've already checked a certain weapon and whether certain samples came from the same gun. It's not perfect, but the game can't really identify guns as "that shotgun in the courtyard" (and letting players name samples is interface hell), so the best I can do is show the player one way the game does identify items: with a number.
Mustang
Poster

Dirty sneaky traitor

« Reply #2466 on: February 24, 2010, 09:13:37 PM »

Hey, the NC server is having issues with the detective. We set it to 8%, but how do we make it so the detective is not selected at all if the server population is below 8?
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2467 on: February 24, 2010, 09:22:57 PM »

ttt_detective_min_players 8

There are some other Detective-related commands in the readme.
Blan21
Poster

Tasteless wolf

« Reply #2468 on: February 24, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »

thought on armor for detectives: since the beacon is honestly not that useful, maybe make the beacon project a shield around it of some sort that absorbs some damage, but grenades, knives, ect. can go right through it.

You could also make it beep when the shield is hit, and display the location of the hit on the shield in some way, this could help against the dreaded sniper traitors who just snipe at a group and are never found. It would reduce the damage, and make it so you can get an idea of where the sniper is.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:32:29 PM by Blan21 »
Rotinaj
Build Tester

the brave

« Reply #2469 on: February 24, 2010, 10:21:24 PM »

the beacon is amazing as it is
Mustang
Poster

Dirty sneaky traitor

« Reply #2470 on: February 24, 2010, 10:23:33 PM »

ttt_detective_min_players 8

There are some other Detective-related commands in the readme.

Thanks
Killers2
Poster

« Reply #2471 on: February 25, 2010, 09:43:12 PM »

This may be sort of off topic but could you make an SVN to distribute the updates rather than flat file updates.. it would make my life so much easier.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2472 on: February 25, 2010, 11:24:27 PM »

This may be sort of off topic but could you make an SVN to distribute the updates rather than flat file updates.. it would make my life so much easier.

I don't want to spend time on that at this point, especially considering I don't know how many more updates there will even be. I don't use SVN as version control for my own development (Mercurial instead), would have to find a host, set that up, etc. More trouble than it's worth right now.

And SVN is overkill if used purely for distribution purposes, really. If you know what you're doing, you can write a two line script to pull down an update and unzip it, overwriting existing files (hell, kill and reboot the server automatically). Update installed.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:26:59 PM by Bad King Urgrain »
JoTheShmo
Poster

« Reply #2473 on: February 26, 2010, 02:52:11 AM »

Whaa--
Darkest_97
Poster

Hi.

« Reply #2474 on: February 26, 2010, 01:10:17 PM »

Bug:
I swear i didnt happen the first time, but, when i click the X to close the hints box my cursor stays up, so i have to open my scoreboard and close it.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2475 on: February 26, 2010, 04:23:08 PM »

img width=316 height=17 src="http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1788/mercykill.png" alt="" />

Whaa--

This doesn't tell me much, you know. Did you kill someone and did the time display glitch in the list of events, or did you not kill him, or what?

Bug:
I swear i didnt happen the first time, but, when i click the X to close the hints box my cursor stays up, so i have to open my scoreboard and close it.

So you unlocked the mouse cursor with ctrl/duck and then clicked the X? You can press ctrl again to lock the mouse again. It makes sense to have that happen automatically though, so I'll fix that.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:25:29 PM by Bad King Urgrain »
Killers2
Poster

« Reply #2476 on: February 26, 2010, 10:13:49 PM »

I don't want to spend time on that at this point, especially considering I don't know how many more updates there will even be. I don't use SVN as version control for my own development (Mercurial instead), would have to find a host, set that up, etc. More trouble than it's worth right now.

And SVN is overkill if used purely for distribution purposes, really. If you know what you're doing, you can write a two line script to pull down an update and unzip it, overwriting existing files (hell, kill and reboot the server automatically). Update installed.

I would like it so that any small changes I made would automatically get merged with the latest update rather than me having to make all the changes again.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2477 on: February 26, 2010, 10:46:49 PM »

Again, don't need SVN for that, as there are standalone three-way merge tools you could use to automate the process. Alternatively, you could maintain a local SVN repository and manually commit TTT updates in a separate branch, then merge it into your main branch.

This is all stuff you can set up for yourself with some time investment. Sure, I could spend my time instead to set up a public SVN etc, but I have more pressing matters to attend to. And again, it is looking increasingly likely that I will declare the gamemode finished come March 1st.
Chief Tiger
Poster

What.

« Reply #2478 on: February 27, 2010, 02:08:00 AM »

I will declare the gamemode finished come March 1st.

YES! (I don't like updating :P)

Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often.
that guy
Build Tester

« Reply #2479 on: February 27, 2010, 02:41:44 AM »

This next update better be pretty boss then.

I want to know who was the first person to rub barrels, must of been an epic moment like discovering fire or your sisters vibrator.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 ... 232
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length