Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2024, 07:53:19 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 ... 232
Author Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode  (Read 1696564 times)
UnInvincible
Build Tester

SANTA SHAMBLER SEIZURE!

« Reply #2420 on: February 22, 2010, 05:10:12 AM »

"It's just like the Trouble in Terrorist Town you love except in fretta".

But the TTT that I love is already in fretta.

I don't understand.

my game keeps crashing as it loads, (i have all the expansion packs including the apartment life) and i am hearing that it might possibly be a custom content problem? how do i remove custom content?
UnInvincible
Build Tester

SANTA SHAMBLER SEIZURE!

« Reply #2421 on: February 22, 2010, 05:15:28 AM »

Your statement is still incorrect.

my game keeps crashing as it loads, (i have all the expansion packs including the apartment life) and i am hearing that it might possibly be a custom content problem? how do i remove custom content?
TheDmac
Poster

« Reply #2422 on: February 22, 2010, 05:36:42 AM »

A suggestion. Maybe a recruit a traitor option? Requires minium of say, 4 traitors (16 players) and when 1 traitor gets killed, 1 of the living traitors gets the option to recruit someone for 2 points. To do this, they walk up to someone and hand them something (a knife maybe?) and they have no access to C menu, just a knife, traitor chat and the traitor status. The person has a option to decline or accept.

Opens up a lot of abuse. Betray another traitor to the innocent so they kill him, and you get to pick your friend as a new traitor.

But not every traitor would get this chance to choose. Only 1 of the 4 traitors gets the choice, and this could also happen when there is only 1 traitor left to prevent the abuse.

Has it's for and agaist points i guess though.

www.VersonoGaming.net
Australia TTT Server - Custom Content.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2423 on: February 22, 2010, 05:43:59 AM »

It has almost no for. While it's a neat idea in theory, it opens up a lot more greifing than BKU bothered to write out.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #2424 on: February 22, 2010, 08:38:26 AM »

I think that ttt would be better for fretta with detective mode off (that is to say, dead players are immediately identified, not to be confused with not having detectives) and not having detectives. People are more ADD and don't have time for that kind of thing. Besides, it's more like "It's the rapid-fire version of Trouble in Terrorist Town".

You mean, like classic TTT with weapons.

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2425 on: February 22, 2010, 09:24:43 AM »

Is there a way you can create one master "SK switch" to have TTT lite?

I think you can get very close, perhaps even fully there just using existing convars. Turn off ttt_sherlock_mode (ie. detective mode) to have instant identification, set starting credits and award credits to 0 to get rid of equipment, perhaps disable detectives. Is there anything else that would need disabling?

I could make a .cfg for this and ship it with TTT. Then the master switch would be a line in one's server.cfg to load the lite.cfg commands. I vastly prefer that over adding extra checks for a separate "TTT lite" mode all over the code.

TTT Lite is probably a more likely candidate for the Fretta contest, too.

I think that ttt would be better for fretta with detective mode off (that is to say, dead players are immediately identified, not to be confused with not having detectives) and not having detectives. People are more ADD and don't have time for that kind of thing. Besides, it's more like "It's the rapid-fire version of Trouble in Terrorist Town".

I am not making any adjustments to TTT purely for Fretta. Either TTT is appreciated for what it is, or it's not. Stripping out a ton of cool features based on the assumption that "it has to be fast" means you end up with something that still does not fit that view of Fretta (which might not even be correct) while also having less chance to win purely by being good.

Bug: When a detective dies and has last words, the name appears in green instead of blue.

Noted.

Suggestion: When you or a detective have ID'd a body, the info's in the scoreboard next to a magnifying glass. Can a little magnifying glass appear next to the name of bodies you already have the info on? It's mostly for the detectives but as innocent it could be useful.

Seems useful and doable.

Suggestion: Could you pleeeeeasse include the detective's binoculars which can identify unidentified bodies from a distance before you cease updating? It would be extremely valuable.

Kinda worried about it being overpowered, allowing a detective to just ID any corpse from long range. This would completely destroy the traitor strategy of using unID'd corpses as bait.

Suggestion: Could you remove the teleporter from the detective's item menu? It's original use (populate the item menu while more are created) is over and it encourages coward detectives instead of detecting detectives. Besides, since it's fine for innocents to run around with one of these, it's kind of lost it's weakness of revealing you when you use it and sounding distinct.

They can be useful to ID a corpse and quickly teleport back to a safe place, which I think is a valid strategy. If the binoculars make it in it can be removed.

Suggestion: Could you mark to fellow traitors when a fallen traitor has credits on his corpse via the scoreboard? Nobody really bothers to use that mechanic / knows about it otherwise, and as far as backstory goes (traitors ordering equipment from HQ) it makes perfect sense.

I think when it's on the scoreboard people will just go "huh what's that icon mean, oh well". It seems more effective to add a hint line to corpses with credits on them shown only to traitors.

Final Suggestion I Promise: TTT has so many little mechanics that are hard to find out about without word-of-mouth (i.e. you can tag people on your scoreboard, traitors get credits for killing detectives, traitors can find unused credits on detective and traitor corpses, etc.). Ever think of adding a "tips" box for spectators? If you do, buttons to cycle previous and next tip are also a good idea, cause I remember how much I enjoyed that feature in Bioshock 2.

Hmm, it would be useful, but there are some issues. Spectators don't have a mouse cursor, as their mouse movement is locked to the camera, so I'd have to add a key to unlock it and make that the first tip or something. I'd make the tips go at the top of the screen and cycle automatically every few seconds. Basically make it not too obtrusive so people don't turn it off instantly (which also means I can hide the disable option in the settings menu, solves that problem).
eeny
Build Tester

+1

« Reply #2426 on: February 22, 2010, 09:32:33 AM »

You could of course limit the number of corpses to be ID'ed by the binocs before they get too dirty or something equally silly (You like silly right?)

EDIT: Heck, useing that same line of reasoning you can limit the number of menus a detective can flip through with the phrase "the lenses are too dirty to make that out" with the number of menus it affects increased by the number of times they have been used to ID a body.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:35:55 AM by eeny »

Nobody Expects the Malkavian Inquisition!
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2427 on: February 22, 2010, 12:51:49 PM »

Kinda worried about it being overpowered, allowing a detective to just ID any corpse from long range. This would completely destroy the traitor strategy of using unID'd corpses as bait.
Well that's kind of the point of the binoculars. If still want to make them less potent, though, you could require the detective to hold zoomed in on the body for 10-15 seconds while the body is "scanned" or "inspected". This would leave him vulnerable (due to zoomed in, he can't see much) to attack from behind and also temp impatient or naive detectives to just walk over to a body because it's quicker.

I think when it's on the scoreboard people will just go "huh what's that icon mean, oh well". It seems more effective to add a hint line to corpses with credits on them shown only to traitors.
The point isn't to declare the system, the point is to make finding credits easier by telling you which traitor corpses have credits and which do not before you've checked them.

Spectators don't have a mouse cursor, as their mouse movement is locked to the camera, so I'd have to add a key to unlock it and make that the first tip or something.
How about using E and Q to cycle? They're unused by spectators and have a neat kind of symmetry.

Soduka
Poster

« Reply #2428 on: February 22, 2010, 01:11:41 PM »

I could make a .cfg for this and ship it with TTT. Then the master switch would be a line in one's server.cfg to load the lite.cfg commands. I vastly prefer that over adding extra checks for a separate "TTT lite" mode all over the code.

Thanks, that is what I'm asking for. I am not quite sure if all the existing convars cover everything, I'll have to look at them. If any of the original players have input on this I'm sure it'll help.

I also found a server that modifies the code to make donaters have a better chance of being traitor. Lame. Some kind of clan server, stay away from it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:17:43 PM by Soduka »
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2429 on: February 22, 2010, 01:23:12 PM »

Well that's kind of the point of the binoculars. If still want to make them less potent, though, you could require the detective to hold zoomed in on the body for 10-15 seconds while the body is "scanned" or "inspected". This would leave him vulnerable (due to zoomed in, he can't see much) to attack from behind and also temp impatient or naive detectives to just walk over to a body because it's quicker.

The thing is that "body bait" is a tactic that is at least a step up over "stick knife in random person", and I don't like discouraging traitors from doing interesting things.

Requiring the detective to leave himself vulnerable helps a little. Makes more sense than ammo at least.

The point isn't to declare the system, the point is to make finding credits easier by telling you which traitor corpses have credits and which do not before you've checked them.

Actually, one of your points was that no one knew about the mechanic. Either way, detectives and traitors now get a hint on their targetID for corpses with credits on them.

How about using E and Q to cycle? They're unused by spectators and have a neat kind of symmetry.

Spectators use E to search corpses. I already have some ideas anyway.

Thanks, that is what I'm asking for. I am not quite sure if all the existing convars cover everything, I'll have to look at them. If any of the original players have input on this I'm sure it'll help.

If you post up a new thread for "TTT Lite" I'll post what convar settings I think would work, oldschool players can contribute, etc. Easier to discuss in its own thread.
Spruce
Poster

« Reply #2430 on: February 22, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »

Binoculars

I previously gave a 30 minute post on how I thought binoculars should be in the game, but should not identify the body. Instead they provide an aesthetic zoom function and the ability to identify TYPES of damage at range, e.g. discovering if a corpse was killed by a shotgun, or a knife, from across a hallway. Nobody got back to me on how they felt about that. Personally I find it balanced and fits into the TTT atmosphere. Can someone else please provide feedback?
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2431 on: February 22, 2010, 06:37:39 PM »

New version is up with binoculars.

Has anyone seen or used the DNA sampler in-game? I'm wondering how it's working out. I tried to play a while yesterday but all servers were full/empty, had high ping, or were playing ttt_desperation (literally the worst map).

I previously gave a 30 minute post on how I thought binoculars should be in the game, but should not identify the body. Instead they provide an aesthetic zoom function and the ability to identify TYPES of damage at range, e.g. discovering if a corpse was killed by a shotgun, or a knife, from across a hallway. Nobody got back to me on how they felt about that. Personally I find it balanced and fits into the TTT atmosphere. Can someone else please provide feedback?

I read that, but the main use of the binoculars is identifying bodies in places that are dangerous or unreachable. I can't really think of many situations where it would be worth buying an item to see only a few bits of information. We'll see how it works out in practice.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2432 on: February 22, 2010, 08:05:08 PM »

Spectators use E to search corpses. I already have some ideas anyway.
Well I feel like a fool... but glad to see you have it worked out.

Thanks for everything, including the binoculars. I don't know how you manage to do it so fast.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:09:44 PM by Ajunk »

mysquirrel
Poster

VIDEO GAMES MADE ME DO IT

« Reply #2433 on: February 22, 2010, 08:22:23 PM »

Well I feel like a fool... but glad to see you have it worked out.

Thanks for everything, including the binoculars. I don't know how you manage to do it so fast.

I think we need to sacrifice another Thread.

I AM THE DEV SUMMONER

My fingers are itching to reward you with a ban for reporting this.
Mustang
Poster

Dirty sneaky traitor

« Reply #2434 on: February 22, 2010, 09:19:46 PM »

I liked the old weapon scanner better; I've never been able to find the traitor using the DNA sampler
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2435 on: February 22, 2010, 09:48:29 PM »

There's an issue where the Radar does not show the distance to the target, that's fixed for next version.
FF|NedStar
Poster

Look into my eyes.

« Reply #2436 on: February 23, 2010, 01:18:23 AM »

Damn you BKU with your recent version number on the update. Made me look twice before I noticed the 2nd zero changed into a two.

You're so buttmad faggot an admin who rdms and ghosts and lets his friends aimbot what a classy faggot, thank god half your server consists of asslickers otherwise nobody would play on your shitty server.
Chief Tiger
Poster

What.

« Reply #2437 on: February 23, 2010, 05:32:45 AM »

Suggestion: Make it so when you are dead / a spectator that in the bottom right if you don't have Spectators Muted or Living Players Muted there is text that says "Press Alt to cycle mute" or something along those lines. I honestly never knew that ALT muted spectators. Oh the headaches I could have avoided...

Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often.
Joest
Build Tester

ZM's Resident Furfag

« Reply #2438 on: February 23, 2010, 12:13:25 PM »

It's amazing that this whole started a few months ago in ZM on downtown. Ahh, the good ol' days when the ZM was the person that picked the traitors.

I love cats. My cat ambushed me when I got out of the shower and attacked my dick.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #2439 on: February 23, 2010, 12:18:42 PM »

Suggestion: Make it so when you are dead / a spectator that in the bottom right if you don't have Spectators Muted or Living Players Muted there is text that says "Press Alt to cycle mute" or something along those lines. I honestly never knew that ALT muted spectators. Oh the headaches I could have avoided...
Maybe this'll be averted with the new tips bar?

Pages: 1 ... 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 ... 232
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length