Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2024, 07:56:43 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 ... 232
Author Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode  (Read 1696574 times)
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2360 on: February 13, 2010, 06:39:23 PM »

If someone misses his own traitor round that's their own fault.

When I say "finger printing", I don't mean telling you who it was right away. When examining the piece, you'd get a "fingerprint" (probably just a randomly generated code, or picture if you're feeling ambitious). Then you'd have to go from player to player, seeking out a match to find the person who did it. The traitor would definitely hear this check coming, and have to avoid the detective from then on out. The detective also has to be careful, as a cornered traitor will likely attack.

I've been thinking about this, and it could be interesting.

I'd have it replace the current weapon examiner mechanics. Rather than a list of names, you'd get a list of "DNA samples" or whatever (and it would work on C4/knives in bodies etc). They uniquely identify a player. You collect these in your little device as a list of "found samples", and you can compare them to "player samples" you collect by using it on players (perhaps they have to remain in range of the weapon for a few seconds to do that). Maybe I can do some nifty comparison graphical things, because it's fun to make.

If balancing is necessary, one could limit the number of samples the weapon can hold at once.

Something worth mentioning is that I intend to impose a feature freeze during the week before March 1st, which is garry's contest deadline. During that time only bugfixes or balance tweaks will happen so that there's no risk of sudden terrible breakage.
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #2361 on: February 13, 2010, 06:48:37 PM »

The footprint scanner runs into a problem when you buy it with too many living players. I didn't copy the error, but basically gmod starts groaning that there's too many entities or some such limit being hit. So after a while no new prints are being made because too many already exist.

Another thing I saw was with the fingerprint device I tried to scan a rifle but I don't think it had ever been picked up before and it just gave me an error. However, I believe I scanned another gun and the menu popped up and it was empty so not sure what exactly was happening.

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2362 on: February 13, 2010, 07:01:41 PM »

Yes, that's what I feared with the footprints. I don't think there's much I can do except make footprints time out faster, which is too bad.

Alternatively, make it only show footprints for a few players the user selects. That would also make it a bit useless though, because it would still only show them after it's enabled for a certain player.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:03:36 PM by Bad King Urgrain »
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #2363 on: February 13, 2010, 08:11:15 PM »

Possibly you could have it so the more players (that are assumed to be alive) the faster they wear away? I assume the limit reached is different based on the map and it's entity count so that'd only help so much.

Get off my lawn you rotten kids!
Nah, he's just being 'correct'. It's just JossiRossi's way of dealing with it.

Indy Game News: Thanks For Playing.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2364 on: February 13, 2010, 08:16:28 PM »

No, it's not map related. They would have to fade extremely fast though, 20-30 players create footsteps like mad.

For now I've made it so that only one in five steps creates a footstep, and reduced the lifetime a bit. This seems to handle 30 players without errors. Hardly ideal, but it'll just have to do.

edit:
In other news, for now I've just made the C4 disarm penalty 1/10th of the original timer. It may become a lockout later.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:18:55 PM by Bad King Urgrain »
Qloos
Poster

« Reply #2365 on: February 14, 2010, 04:22:57 AM »

Currently with the minimized cross-hair option.  The blue circle for detective shows up, which is fine.  But since it's fine for a blue circle to show up, can it be coded for a red circle to show up on players you have marked as "kill" in the player list so I can get an immediate reaction time when I aim up on an unknown fellow approaching my position.  While at the same time, benefiting from a lack of on screen clutter.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2366 on: February 14, 2010, 09:06:18 AM »

I don't really want to give the red circle a double meaning, ie. both "traitor friend" and "kill this person".
Qloos
Poster

« Reply #2367 on: February 14, 2010, 11:30:36 AM »

A red X then.
C.Mong
Poster

DNR Owner

« Reply #2368 on: February 15, 2010, 09:07:33 PM »

Apparently there's some texture issues with the C4 and the Beacon, when you're a traitor the C4 icon that's through walls is a black and pink checkerboard, people said the same thing of the beacons signal effect, while I couldn't see any signal for the beacon at all.

www.dnr-gaming.com
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2369 on: February 15, 2010, 10:07:58 PM »

Hmm, looks like I forgot to add the beacon icon to the autodownload. And I still had some debug code in there that makes the C4 warning show as the beacon icon... so both will indeed not work. Oops.

I'll put up an update tomorrow morning.
TheDmac
Poster

« Reply #2370 on: February 16, 2010, 11:24:45 AM »

Idea for Traitor, Suicide bomb. Only 1 traitor from the group can buy every round. On detiniate, it kills the traitor and anyone around him.

www.VersonoGaming.net
Australia TTT Server - Custom Content.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2371 on: February 16, 2010, 11:52:14 AM »

Idea for Traitor, Suicide bomb. Only 1 traitor from the group can buy every round. On detiniate, it kills the traitor and anyone around him.

Has been suggested many times. Might be fun for the traitor, but sucks ass for the large number of innocents who got killed in a cheap, easy, completely unavoidable way. Same problem as remotely detonated explosives, tripmines, normal mines, etc etc.

Something quite common in people's traitor weapon suggestions is a complete lack of consideration for how it will affect the innocent side (and often game balance in general). Just thinking about how it would feel if it was used on you is a first step to properly thinking through a weapon/item design.
TheDmac
Poster

« Reply #2372 on: February 16, 2010, 11:58:49 AM »

Hmm, true.

I'm just tired of the way some people play. They totally ignore the investigation side of the gamemode and stick in packs and wait for someone to shoot someone. Thought that would stop that. Sometimes they can wait for 5 or 6 minutes pointing fingers for no reason untill someone finally shoots someone :P

The current bomb is good, but if everyone moves it's useless.

www.VersonoGaming.net
Australia TTT Server - Custom Content.
JoTheShmo
Poster

« Reply #2373 on: February 16, 2010, 07:39:35 PM »

How about a parachute item for traitors and detectives?
It doesn't actually amke you fall slower, but it lets you take any fall with no damage.
The problem is on maps like canyon...
You could get the mapper to just make a trigger_hurt down there.
that guy
Build Tester

« Reply #2374 on: February 16, 2010, 07:43:25 PM »

I always thought parachutes did make you fall slower and not just make you invincible when experencing a 120 MPH drop.

I want to know who was the first person to rub barrels, must of been an epic moment like discovering fire or your sisters vibrator.
JoTheShmo
Poster

« Reply #2375 on: February 16, 2010, 11:26:29 PM »

Well falling slower would be a little too obvious.
So would a giant chute that opens up on top of you, but this doesn't need to be realistic.
I mean, glowing blue footprints, and knifes that instantly kill, while bullets only do about 25 damage... Those aren't exactly realistic.
Firespray
Build Tester

:-(

« Reply #2376 on: February 16, 2010, 11:54:22 PM »

Parachute would worry me, I mean look at TTT canyon.  What if someone "parachuted" down there and sniped from down there?

Z3RO: Tanners sister isnt bad looking :v
Firespray: New sig
Z3RO: noooo

holocalls traumatize worbat
DemiGod
Build Tester

Nimble as a pregnant cow

« Reply #2377 on: February 16, 2010, 11:55:21 PM »

You could get the mapper to just make a trigger_hurt down there.

I hate all of you
Nah, more like demigod isn't self centered and he is legality cool guy.
Marauder8
Build Tester

Future Emperor of Antarctica

« Reply #2378 on: February 17, 2010, 12:15:42 AM »

But then people could push someone off a ledge, and if they die then they are innocent, if they survive then they are a witch and must be burned.

THIS RAINCOAT IS FROM THE DEVIL
that guy
Build Tester

« Reply #2379 on: February 17, 2010, 12:16:36 AM »

Make it detective only weapon?

I want to know who was the first person to rub barrels, must of been an epic moment like discovering fire or your sisters vibrator.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 ... 232
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Trouble in Terrorist Town - a GMod gamemode « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length