Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 04:29:29 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: FYI: I'm not going to help you with your Lua code
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FYI: I'm not going to help you with your Lua code  (Read 2668 times)
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« on: January 17, 2011, 10:57:32 PM »

Fundamentally, I don't mind helping people. I've helped a lot of people with Lua over TTT's lifetime.

I'm stopping with that now.

That's the tl;dr, you can safely stop reading here unless you're interested.

The reason is that it's become a chore, a big drain on my motivation for all of Gmod and Lua, including TTT. Almost every time I start helping someone it turns out they lack proper understanding of basic programming concepts. This means I can't just give a few tips to get them on their way, I practically have to write or debug their code for them in order to help them properly. So many people working with Lua in GMod have no idea what they're doing, to varying degrees. That's completely fine. Everyone has to learn their stuff sometime, as I did once. But I didn't sign up anywhere to be someone's free Lua teacher. And yet that's what it starts to feel like, and it's not fun. I almost stopped starting up Steam to avoid getting pestered about stuff.

Of course, you are still free to post TTT-related Lua questions here on this forum. I just won't be the one answering them. Maybe someone else will. Don't bother contacting me through Steam (you will be blocked), or PMs (I will ignore them).

This does not mean I will never answer a question. If it pertains to something advanced, something unique to TTT, something you could not figure out by yourself, I'll answer it. Effectively this means that if you know what you're doing, have done your research, and still have a question, I will be happy to help. Chances are I will update the website to contain the information.

Even in those cases: post a thread instead of using Steam or PM.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:59:09 PM by Bad King Urgrain »
Pages: [1]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: FYI: I'm not going to help you with your Lua code « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length