Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:58:26 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: How does one go about replacing skins?
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How does one go about replacing skins?  (Read 4601 times)
TheSlyder
Poster

« on: January 09, 2011, 03:31:12 AM »

I've noticed the default skins for the Rifle ammo and Deagle ammo is the .357 ammo box, and a red recolor of the same box respectively.

I've made a new skin for rifle ammo, but I don't know what file to replace here, or where it's located.

I don't have any experience with stuff like this, at least not much. Does anyone have any links to a good tutorial for this? I figured they wouldn't be located in the .gcf files since one being used is a recolor, but I really don't know.

Help?
Jazzyy
Poster

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:23:01 PM »

Bump on this, anyone got a clue? I'm guessing that they might use the CS:S Realistic weapon packs but I don't think they are. Maybe Mad Cow's? If so I think all you would need to do is replace those files in your garrysmod/materials folder, but I'm trying to research more on this as I'd like to get some custom skins seeing how CS:S's are meh at best.

Also will the M16 recoil EVER be fixed?

i found this but thats about it, it does not contain the skin files, just shared.lua files:
\SteamApps\USERNAMEHERE\garrysmod\garrysmod\lua_temp\weapons
these also contain the ammo boxes etc. dunno what to do with em. maybe you should try dropping those files in there anyway and seeing if it works?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:33:14 PM by Jazzyy »
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 09:44:34 PM »

The sniper ammo texture is /garrysmod/materials/models/items/boxart1.vtf

This is a HL2 texture and gmod loads it from a GCF. Placing a custom texture at the above location will override it.

Also will the M16 recoil EVER be fixed?

Have not heard any reports of problems with the M16.

i found this but thats about it, it does not contain the skin files, just shared.lua files:
\SteamApps\USERNAMEHERE\garrysmod\garrysmod\lua_temp\weapons
these also contain the ammo boxes etc. dunno what to do with em. maybe you should try dropping those files in there anyway and seeing if it works?

This will not work.
Jazzyy
Poster

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 09:45:54 PM »

This is a HL2 texture and gmod loads it from a GCF. Placing a custom texture at the above location will override it.
This will not work.

You sir, are my hero, thank you.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:07:25 PM by Jazzyy »
TheSlyder
Poster

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 04:19:54 AM »

This will not work.

Thanks a lot, Urgrain. I really appreciate the straightforward reply.

What about the Deagle ammo? I had heard that the red recolor of the .357 ammo box is a lua script. Do you know how I would go about removing it? (I assume the red deagle box isn't exclusive to the server I play on, anyway.)

Edit: Come to think of it, would adding this new skin as "boxart1" just replace the .357 box? Because I want to keep the .357 box AND add a rifle ammo box, I don't want to simply replace it (Because then the Deagle would just be using rifle ammo)

If I could get a little more in-depth help with how I would go about adding this new skin without replacing the previous one, I would be really thankful. (I've already got a little experience with hexxing and such. I figure I would just need to figure out how to modify a little code to associate rifle's ammo with the new rifle skin)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 04:38:57 AM by TheSlyder »
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:23:25 AM »

The deagle ammo and rifle ammo use the same texture. You cannot replace one and keep the other. The only way to get around that is to modify the Lua script of the deagle ammo, but that has to be done serverside.
TheSlyder
Poster

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 09:31:31 AM »

The deagle ammo and rifle ammo use the same texture. You cannot replace one and keep the other. The only way to get around that is to modify the Lua script of the deagle ammo, but that has to be done serverside.

I don't think that will be much of an issue, I'm in cahoots with the coder for our server, and we've been working together on several improvements lately. He's plenty competent with Lua, but I'm not sure if he knows what would need to be done to achieve this. Would you mind elaborating (or at least pointing me the direction of a decent "how-to"), just in case? It sounds pretty simple, but you can never be too prepared, right?
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 01:54:30 PM »

The deagle ammo script is in \terrortown\entities\entities\item_ammo_revolver_ttt\. It's a tiny script and anyone should be able to find the line of code there that makes it red.

Then you either copy the \models\items\357ammo.mdl model and hex it to use a different texture, or you use Entity.SetMaterial . And the new/modified stuff has to be downloaded to clients etc.

I can't explain every tiny modding action to everyone. You now have all the TTT-specific information, the rest is up to you.
TheSlyder
Poster

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 10:23:09 PM »

I think that'll be plenty adequate, thanks so much for your help. I looked all over for how to do this and just couldn't find any detailed information on it.
Pages: [1]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: How does one go about replacing skins? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length