Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 09:13:14 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [WIP] ttt_aperture_science
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: [WIP] ttt_aperture_science  (Read 6309 times)
TheDmac
Poster

« on: December 10, 2010, 08:14:34 AM »

Just started a new map. The map is of course based in Aperture Laboratories before Portal 1 takes place. I'm still after ideas although i'm still working on capturing the Portal feel, without ripping the Portal textures. Please post any ideas you might have.

Screenshots
Please note I've just started it. This screenshot is to show what the map will generally look like. Yes, it's in CSS. I test my maps in CSS before arming them and completing them.

Feedback would be great.

Thanks

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:29:42 PM by TheDmac »

www.VersonoGaming.net
Australia TTT Server - Custom Content.
Silverstream
Poster

Project Suburb Developer

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 04:55:28 AM »

Definitely a bit bare but nonetheless a good start. I would suggest you use rotating lights and beams and perhaps investigate the possibility of having obstacle courses? "Traitor-access only" rooms to control the "traps" themselves would be interesting.

Additionally, try experimenting with various brush geometries and depths. Detail your walls with arches, add gaps, perhaps a vent with a rotating fan. Moving platforms would be neat as well. I like the suspended platforms you have in your second screen-shot.

Overall, I like what you have done, but if you detail it considerably, I'm sure this will turn out nicely.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:48:46 PM by Silverstream »
TheDmac
Poster

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:33:45 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah right now it's all rough, I'm trying to get ideas for rooms etc. Trying to get as Portal like as i can right now.

www.VersonoGaming.net
Raneman
Poster

Shitposter

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 03:57:46 PM »

No traitor rooms, use the little hand icons so that traitors can use traps without pressing buttons.
phoenixf129
Poster

I Rise from the Ashes.

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 05:23:17 PM »

Good old ZombieMaster points. :)

Software Upgrade Paradox - If you improve a piece of software enough times, you eventually ruin it.
Fuffe
Poster

Crummycradle was a mistake

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 05:27:35 PM »

There's not really much shown yet, but so far it looks alright!
TheDmac
Poster

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 05:33:51 PM »

Cheers guys, did a little bit more today. I've also been collecting Portal 2 screenshots for inspiration and ideas.

www.VersonoGaming.net
Marcem7121
Poster

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 11:48:28 PM »

Before portal 1?  It's using the new panels though!  Also, not a fan of the ad.  Otherwise, it looks fine.
bigbadboo
Poster

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 11:56:25 AM »

If you want people to play your map, I would ditch the ads. I don't care, but other server owners wouldn't add it because of that.
phoenixf129
Poster

I Rise from the Ashes.

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 12:37:09 PM »

If you want people to play your map, I would ditch the ads. I don't care, but other server owners wouldn't add it because of that.

They'd just decompile the map, and remove that texture, then save it as a seperate name, :|

Software Upgrade Paradox - If you improve a piece of software enough times, you eventually ruin it.
Holy Toaster
Poster

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 01:10:12 PM »

Just stick the ad in an out of the way easter egg room so that everyone is happy.

ZM_Cliffside_retreat Currently dead due to PC failure.
Mr. Gash
Poster

www.nonerdsjustgeeks.com

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 04:39:03 AM »

Or just show the ad as "The map is made by <creator>" or just don't release it to the public if you're going to advertise your clan for people with the same exact gamemode on their servers that they want to use the map on.

Or just don't use his map.
Handy_man
Poster

SNG community admin

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 09:48:33 AM »

Same thoughts as pretty much everyone here ads for your clan are generally not great additions to a map, for TTT though it works out great for you as spectators can fly around viewing the map so placing ad in a enclosed room will do fine.

[b]
Sky-netgaming.com
Pages: [1]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [WIP] ttt_aperture_science « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length