Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 02:37:56 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Visualizer Changes
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Visualizer Changes  (Read 8752 times)
Manmax75
Poster

Programming Guy

« on: October 12, 2010, 08:20:12 AM »

Now, currently the visualizer looks cool, but I personally think its a waste of credit. I believe it should contain more information that would help tell the detective more about the scene rather then saying, o that guy died by head shot, that guy survived and ran down that hallway... bla bla bla. I personally  think some more helpfully information would be:

1. How many shots that hit the victim by the killer before the fatal shot.
2. The role of the player (i.e whether they are traitor, detective or innocent) - This doesn't give away there name, just the role.
3. If multiple people were involved, then the number sequence in which they died (i.e who died first who died last).
4. In the incident, who fired first.
5. An a estimated health of the escapee (if applicable)

I would find this much more useful and more use of a valuable credit rather then just buying it, putting it near dead bodies and then going "o0o0o0o0o0 pretty holograms" while someone shotguns you in the back.

Also, can the visualizer show if the person was wearing a hat. O and does it show the person even if in the event that the body was flare-gun'd
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 08:21:48 AM by Manmax75 »

Ride Forward and Thrust Your Pelvis In The Dark Void. The One Induced By Pleasure Yet Cast By The Bigger Picture.
Handy_man
Poster

SNG community admin

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 09:00:42 AM »

#1 is pointless it would not really tell you anything apart from what is there possible amount of ammo left not really something easy to check and corfirm to kill a player for.

#2 is just downright exploitable because when traitors say come in at the end of a fight and kill off the innocent who killed another innocent and said i killed him because he killed this guy well throw down the visualizer and boom got a positive traitor.

#3 is also pointless you already have time of death on the dead players corpse just means you have to use your brain to work it out.

The others two are not totally bad but again #5 could be exploitable or just cause RDM by players killing everyone who is for example badly wounded as the visualizer says thats the level of health for the player who is the traitor.

[b]
Sky-netgaming.com
Sly
Poster

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:08:11 PM »

Utterly useless.
C.Mong
Poster

DNR Owner

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 08:22:24 PM »

Number 4 could be interesting, maybe placing a marker above the holograms on the visualizers head, or giving them a different coloured hologram.

Otherwise, the rest is pretty bad.

www.dnr-gaming.com
zoobird
Poster

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 06:50:15 PM »

I have a amendment for your 2nd point.  Instead a indicator of who was killed because it's kinda hard to tell everyone apart.  Make it color based perhaps with victims being red, and everyone else being blue, as to not give away who was actually the murderer.

Another suggestion I have is a way to actually play out the gunfight as a recording being able to to rewind, slowdown, pause, and fast-forward 5-10 seconds of the fight.

Manmax75
Poster

Programming Guy

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 07:41:53 PM »

That a good idea, however the animation one is too hard.

Ride Forward and Thrust Your Pelvis In The Dark Void. The One Induced By Pleasure Yet Cast By The Bigger Picture.
Darkebrz
Poster

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 07:45:07 PM »

Another suggestion I have is a way to actually play out the gunfight as a recording being able to to rewind, slowdown, pause, and fast-forward 5-10 seconds of the fight.

Way to complicated and unnecessary.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 07:51:44 PM »

For technical reasons, it is not feasible to make it show entire firefights.
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 09:44:35 PM »

Having the color of the hologram people be red, green, or blue dependent on the killer would be nice. Also maybe if it's possible to have the number of shots before they died hover atop the dead one, would be nice as well. One more thing, is the poltergeist able to attach itself to the visualizer when shot at it, because I enjoyed shooting it at the health station x)

Just grab some bottles and stick them in girls...
Darkest_97
Poster

Hi.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 10:03:51 PM »

If it did attach it would destroy it on the first push cause the health is really low.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 10:09:53 PM »

Having the color of the hologram people be red, green, or blue dependent on the killer would be nice. Also maybe if it's possible to have the number of shots before they died hover atop the dead one, would be nice as well. One more thing, is the poltergeist able to attach itself to the visualizer when shot at it, because I enjoyed shooting it at the health station x)

I can look at colour-coding the killer, but then again, maybe it's not such a bad thing that it takes some analysis sometimes to figure out what happened?

The shots thing is in the same area as recording the whole fight. Consider the implications of displaying the shots: you now have to keep track of every shot fired in the game, just in case the person dies and is Visualized. That's the tip of the iceberg, because you also need to know whether a given shot was relevant to the fight that ended in the guy's death.

Poltergeist will work on pretty much any physics'd object, including the Visualizer. It might blow up on the first pulse though, because it has fairly low health. I think the corpse that is likely to be nearby is a better target.
zoobird
Poster

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 11:04:44 PM »

For technical reasons, it is not feasible to make it show entire firefights.

I didn't even know what you have done with the visualizer was even possible with a online game.  :-) 
Charles445
Build Tester

I LOVE THIS AVATAR

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 11:21:49 PM »

I didn't even know what you have done with the visualizer was even possible with a online game.  :-) 

Of all the amazing things online games have done, I don't think the visualizer is one.
It just sounds like a table with a lot of values that gets a new entry every time someone dies.

del>Ok, so Bad King, you are just going to wait for Garry to fix?
What an idiotic thing to ask. Dammit weed.

Bookcases, Bookcases Everywhere
Citizen_001
Build Tester

Male_07

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 11:30:28 PM »

Of all the amazing things online games have done, I don't think the visualizer is one.
It just sounds like a table with a lot of values that gets a new entry every time someone dies.

Think about it. The game has to instantaneously record the exact orientation of the two player's models and the exact location at the split second someone dies, but before their ragdoll is produced, and then store that information server-side for the duration of the round every time a player dies from gunshots, aaand it has to assign a volume surrounding every corpse that has died in this way that determines if a visualizer is close enough to it to produce an image along with bullet trajectory. I'd say that's a pretty amazing thing on BKU's part.

1200+ hours in Source SDK, and the Source engine is still a mystery.

Quote from:  Dinner
The first time you see him he comes onto you so hard.
[/quote]
Charles445
Build Tester

I LOVE THIS AVATAR

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 11:53:01 PM »

"Think about it. The game has to instantaneously record the exact orientation of the two player's models and the exact location at the split second someone dies"
That isn't that bad.

"but before their ragdoll is produced"
That's tougher, but certainly not impossible with overrides.

"and then store that information server-side for the duration of the round every time a player dies from gunshots"
What I meant by the tables. This would be a tricky part.

"aaand it has to assign a volume surrounding every corpse that has died in this way that determines if a visualizer is close enough to it"
Very easy with lua.

"to produce an image along with bullet trajectory"
Images are not bad if you have all the information, but the bullet trajectory could possibly be hard.

How much have you messed around with Lua? It's not as hard as you're making it out to be.

del>Ok, so Bad King, you are just going to wait for Garry to fix?
What an idiotic thing to ask. Dammit weed.

Bookcases, Bookcases Everywhere
Citizen_001
Build Tester

Male_07

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 12:01:18 AM »

How much have you messed around with Lua? It's not as hard as you're making it out to be.

I haven't, but if just by simply stating what it must do makes it come across as hard, it's probably not that easy. Combining all of those individual things to create a pretty streamlined, cool-looking effect, that works anywhere is something I didn't think was even feasible in the Source engine.

1200+ hours in Source SDK, and the Source engine is still a mystery.

Quote from:  Dinner
The first time you see him he comes onto you so hard.
[/quote]
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 01:12:29 AM »

I can look at colour-coding the killer, but then again, maybe it's not such a bad thing that it takes some analysis sometimes to figure out what happened?

I agree it'd be fun to figure out what happened because I personally LOVE being the detective unlike 50% of the TTT community, but the problem I run into with being the detective mainly is that innocents rdm, and so do detectives. That honestly RUINS my whole case. It makes things take 3 minutes longer than they need to figuring out that an innocent killed an innocent, and then hunting down the person who isn't actually a traitor. Even traitors have killed their own traitors, which ruins my round even more. As it stands, the visualizer doesn't offer much in ways of me ever deciding to buy it, not even once, other than a cool effect. So I really think color-coding would be what it needs from a self proclaimed professional detectives viewpoint, not to sound boastful, or full of myself in any way I just particularly only take the round serious when I'm a detective.

EDIT: Also, would it be possible to make the visualizer not show the killers position, and shot trajectory if he was wearing a disguiser?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 01:15:17 AM by Meta-Stick »

Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 08:39:13 AM »

I don't see your point. How does indicating which figure is the one firing the shot, which is what we're talking about, in any way help in determining if he was a traitor?

Incidentally, showing if the shooter was a traitor would massively overpower the visualizer.
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 11:29:42 AM »

Yea I misread your post sorry about that. It would be overpowered, but it was just a crappy suggestion. I hope someone thinks of something.

zoobird
Poster

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 06:56:46 PM »

With the decoy coming out this item will become a lot more useful, and add more balance to the mix of detective/traitor weapons.  

Pages: [1] 2
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Visualizer Changes « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length