Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 02:31:15 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Silence Pistol
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Silence Pistol  (Read 3981 times)
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« on: September 26, 2010, 02:56:22 PM »

Maybe it's just bad luck with a lot of the games I just happen to be in, but more than half of my games, most of the server hears it shooting. I mean it's pretty strong, so the fact that it's extremely quieter is balanced, but it's still clearly hearable even from a distance. I almost always hear, "I hear a silence pistol shooting."

Opinions? I mean cause imo It's balanced, I was just asking to see if anyone else thinks it should be quieter, or if anyone else notices half the server hears it.

Also, why do people not make death sounds when they get shot by it? I'm pretty sure If I get shot by a silence pistol, I'm gonna scream out, just like if shot by a five seven. Then again, that makes you think, should there even be a death sound if people are shot in the head, or is that not possible? Would kinda add to the being a stealthy traitor bit. Just curious.

Opinions please ladies, and gentlemen.

Just grab some bottles and stick them in girls...
bigbadboo
Poster

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 03:01:05 PM »

It would require a custom sound to fix this, preferably of an ACTUAL silenced pistol rather than valves shit, or no sound all together.

I believe the gun doesn't have a muzzle flash though either? Or at least every time I shoot someone at long range with one, they have no idea where it came from and spin around for the next minute confused.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 03:27:35 PM »

Also, why do people not make death sounds when they get shot by it? I'm pretty sure If I get shot by a silence pistol, I'm gonna scream out, just like if shot by a five seven.

Fuck realism.

Then again, that makes you think, should there even be a death sound if people are shot in the head

There isn't.
Silverstream
Poster

Project Suburb Developer

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 03:32:30 PM »

I do believe through LUA script, the sound emitted from the Silenced Pistol can be further suppressed. It is to my understanding that extensive sophisticated LUA script has been written through the standard LUA code provided from the garrysmod Wikipedia resources web page.

Perhaps the following parameters could be implemented for the suppressed pistol.

1. Sound File Volume Adjustment Parameter - As with the source entity "Ambient_Generic", an adjustment for the maximum volume for the sound file of the pistol shot could be muffled further.

2. Fixed Audible Sound Radius - Perhaps through LUA, a fixed maximum audible sound radius around the gun being fired could prevent players from unrealistically hearing the gun-fire.

3. Parameters to Prevent Sound from being emitted through World Brushes and Func_detail? - I'm a bit concerned with this idea, if its even remotely possible to implement. It would definitely help though. Ex: Picking off an innocent in a building would be perfectly audible for another innocent standing outside.

4. A Suppressed Pistol Sound File for the Next TTT Release - With the creation of a standardized Suppressed sound file, perhaps an LUA script within TTT could make a consistency check to ensure players have not adjusted the volume of the sound file or altered the sound in any shape or form. Players who have modified their sound would be forced to download the file off of the server they are joining therefore overwriting the custom sound.

These are simply ideas I feel may have a chance to fix this issue.

I do have trouble executing innocents with the silenced pistol since there is a high tendency for nearby players to immediately identify the gun-fire and location.

It is solely due to this  that I now avoid purchasing the silenced pistol except during odd occasions where I might be able to snipe with one. Of Course, if a majority of the TTT community feels the current silenced pistol is absolutely fine, then I feel there really is no need to make these adjustments.

As for the "no death sound", this definitely adds to balancing and shouldn't be altered at all.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:37:24 PM by Silverstream »
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 08:26:20 PM »

I just tested, and I really don't think the silenced pistol's audible range needs decreasing. If you look at this image, you can see a silenced pistol lying straight ahead. I made the pistol play its sound in the exact same way as it does when it fires. Standing in the position shown on the image, I was exactly outside of its audible range. No matter how loud you might cheat the soundfile to be, it simply doesn't play for you if you're that far away. Which is not far at all. You can just plink away bodyshots without the target knowing where they're coming from.
Silverstream
Poster

Project Suburb Developer

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 09:10:56 PM »

Thanks for dedicating your time to test it.

It seems to me based on your observations that the pistol seems fine.

I wasn't aware the pistol sound wouldn't play at that close of a distance relative to the player.
This definitely clears up some concerns I had. Thanks again.
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 11:08:47 PM »

Saving that image, it's nice to know the sound range. I really didn't know the range was that small, but I will let you know if somehow I hear it outside that range. Maybe It's just the bad tiny maps that people keep picking. Keyword, bad, since there are some perfectly fine tiny maps. I think my mind just plays tricks on me, or a huge amount of bad coincidences. One of the two. I'll mess around and get back to you if I find out why It seemed that way, if it was other than those two reasons.

Also, for the death sound being nullified, it's good to know I can predict your answer. lol

PS. I also didn't know headshot = no death sound. I guess it's just something not immediately noticeable.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:11:05 PM by Meta-Stick »

Just grab some bottles and stick them in girls...
Pages: [1]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Silence Pistol « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length