Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 09:15:36 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: TTT As A Separate Mod?
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TTT As A Separate Mod?  (Read 5323 times)
Dr. KillPatient
Poster

Rawr.

« on: August 16, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »

After playing TTT for quite a while, I've been noticing that a lot of the basic mechanics (hitboxes, hit detection, team handing, etc) aren't supported or implemented well, at least natively, by Garry's Mod. For instance, hit detection seems to be a bit off and occasionally nonresponsive, as it's not really intended to be a deathmatch game-- you could headshot someone and do no damage, you could shoot them in the chest and headshot them. Perhaps a seperate mod, like ZM was, would serve it better?

Just wondering, has any thought been put into converting TTT into a standalone mod? Or are there problems with something like that?

Immolators are exactly like Cadillacs. They make a loud noise and then they burst into flames.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 03:30:18 PM »

It would take a huge amount of work.
catbarf
Poster

Volcano junkie.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:17:09 PM »

a lot of the basic mechanics (hitboxes, hit detection, team handing, etc) aren't supported or implemented well, at least natively, by Garry's Mod.

All of that is exactly the same as in Half-Life 2. It's the same engine. All mods do the same thing. There is functionally no difference between the hit detection in Gmod and the hit detection in ZM. It's the same code.
Gamerofthegame
Poster

I'm after you, Worbat!

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:41:13 PM »

Actually, no. Gmod does do something differently that makes it a bit more off then in other Source things. I forget what, though.

Regardless, it doesn't change much at all and it's really not worth it.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 07:58:14 PM »

I don't think catbarf is wrong. I think the perceived hit detection differences are observer bias, and related or similar things happen just as much in other Source games (hello there facestabs; banshee hitboxes; "hulk weak spot is the knees"; and the list goes on). To speculate, perhaps they are more noticeable because TTT has very high damage, and shooting someone is uncommon and always a win-or-lose moment. Even in CS:S you can putt away at each other for some time.

Of course, when someone complains about hitboxes I just blame gmod, because that makes them stop. The "gmod hitboxes are bad" meme can be very useful like that.
Ickus
Poster

Hello? Hello.

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 11:18:50 PM »

I just don't see the point in making it a whole new mod, it serves fine as a gamemode and it should stay that way. Anyways, for it to be a standalone modification, some more work would need to be put into it, and by then, everyone would want it to have its own models and skins instead of the CS:S Terrorist and weapons defaults.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein
Pages: [1]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: TTT As A Separate Mod? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length