Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:54:51 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Weapon "wheel" that stays until user action?
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Weapon "wheel" that stays until user action?  (Read 8950 times)
BobX
Poster

« on: August 07, 2010, 02:58:44 AM »

I've found a lot of people have had problems with accidental discharges due to selecting a weapon with the mouse wheel, clicking, but having the menu disappear directly before they click, resulting in someone getting shot, or worse, killed.  Usually this results in a chain of random slaughter "oh, he killed/shot an innocent, it must be him" followed by "he was just looking for an excuse, it's gotta be him" and whatnot.

Any way this could be changed so the menu stays until the user clicks, or at least some method to increase the duration of how long the weapon selection dialogue stays up?

It seems it usually catches people off guard because in HL2 or normal GMod, by default it doesn't disappear or change weapons until the user clicks.  Nothing sucks more than trying out a new gamemode to get shot and called off as an "RDMer" due to not knowing what changes were made from the default user interface.
Rotinaj
Build Tester

the brave

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 03:27:18 AM »

This has annoyed me a lot, I'd support if it was possible for tgb to modify.
UnInvincible
Build Tester

SANTA SHAMBLER SEIZURE!

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 03:37:52 AM »

Me too.

my game keeps crashing as it loads, (i have all the expansion packs including the apartment life) and i am hearing that it might possibly be a custom content problem? how do i remove custom content?
Joest
Build Tester

ZM's Resident Furfag

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 03:49:37 AM »

I accidentally killed a pubbie in the elevator of ttt_bank because of that. It really sucked. I support this.

I love cats. My cat ambushed me when I got out of the shower and attacked my dick.
OctaneHugo
Build Tester

hey, prince, you need a shave

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 03:58:44 AM »

killed a pubbiep.

It really sucked.

???

It's basically just like keeping your baby teeth when they fall out, except its a foot.
Joest
Build Tester

ZM's Resident Furfag

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 04:14:01 AM »

???
>tries to make a joke
>fails horribly

I love cats. My cat ambushed me when I got out of the shower and attacked my dick.
DemiGod
Build Tester

Nimble as a pregnant cow

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 05:07:32 AM »

>fails horribly

>master of sarcasm

I hate all of you
Nah, more like demigod isn't self centered and he is legality cool guy.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 08:20:15 AM »

So what it does right now is close 2 seconds after the last time you scrolled (or, of course, close when you select a weapon).

What would be the preferred behaviour:
1) User-configurable length of time before it closes
2) User-configurable setting to prevent auto-close completely

Regardless of outcome I'll probably double the default time to 4 seconds. Option 1 is a little more work, and if everyone puts it at 60 seconds anyway because they don't want it to auto-close, then I can save myself the trouble and do option 2 instead.

If HL2 indeed doesn't auto-close by default (I'll have to check), then perhaps I should make that the default option (though I'd personally turn it off). If you are opposed to this you might also want to speak up.

If, besides posting your preference, you have insights to share about how you use the menu, that's cool too.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 08:23:19 AM by Bad King Urgrain »
Firespray
Build Tester

:-(

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 08:22:55 AM »

Option 2 sounds better.  Just gives it a quick way to set it.

Z3RO: Tanners sister isnt bad looking :v
Firespray: New sig
Z3RO: noooo

holocalls traumatize worbat
Ickus
Poster

Hello? Hello.

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 08:27:05 AM »

What about the option for Scroll alone to pick weapons? I hate it that I have to click the weapon in the first place, it gets me killed when a traitor barges in and I have to quick draw, and fail.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 08:37:48 AM »

What about the option for Scroll alone to pick weapons? I hate it that I have to click the weapon in the first place, it gets me killed when a traitor barges in and I have to quick draw, and fail.

So you mean like the "fast weapon switching" option in HL2/TF2/etc?
Ickus
Poster

Hello? Hello.

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 09:24:01 AM »

Yes; at least an option would be nice.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein
bigbadboo
Poster

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 10:18:56 AM »

I accidentally nudge my scroll button.

Knife is shown.

I die and cut myself at night for failing as Traitor.
OctaneHugo
Build Tester

hey, prince, you need a shave

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 02:03:01 PM »

It's a configurable option you git. Just like in other Source engine games.

I die and cut myself at night.

You do that anyway.

It's basically just like keeping your baby teeth when they fall out, except its a foot.
Joest
Build Tester

ZM's Resident Furfag

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 02:04:15 PM »

Option 2 sounds better.  Just gives it a quick way to set it.
I agree. Option 2.

bigbadboo
Poster

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 02:16:25 PM »

It's a configurable option you git. Just like in other Source engine games.

You say that but about 100 newbies will come on the forum and complain about it whilst asking for an unban from Bad King's chain of servers.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »

The current situation is:
- Weapon switcher staying open option will be added, default off
- Fast switch option will be added, default off

I've tested in both HL2DM and GMod, but contrary to what the thread poster said, in both games the weapon switcher fades out and closes. In fact, it auto-closes twice as quickly as TTT's weapon switcher. So disabling the auto-close is not going to be default.

edit:
Both these things along with other improvements are done and in the gmod SVN.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 04:01:26 PM by Bad King Urgrain »
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 07:09:57 PM »

Good. Even though I've never made these mistakes, because I know how to use hot keys, these options being available is very nice.

Just grab some bottles and stick them in girls...
Dr. KillPatient
Poster

Rawr.

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 01:39:31 AM »

It would be nice if there were also an option for the fast weapon switch to skip over slot 7 weapons when scrolling, one would have to press the slot 7 hotkey to pull it out. I'd hate fast-switching through weapons only to accidentally pull out a knife.

Immolators are exactly like Cadillacs. They make a loud noise and then they burst into flames.
BobX
Poster

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 02:32:39 AM »

I've tested in both HL2DM and GMod, but contrary to what the thread poster said, in both games the weapon switcher fades out and closes. In fact, it auto-closes twice as quickly as TTT's weapon switcher. So disabling the auto-close is not going to be default.

Guess I must have been mistaken (perhaps I've downloaded some add-on that changed the normal function at some point), but I still thank you very much.  Just tonight I've seen 3-4 accidental discharges by innocents and one by a detective.  This will be very much welcomed.

Definitely switching it to on as soon as I can.

Now I'll be able to switch weapons without worry there'll be all sorts of new usefulness (e.g. putting mousewheel over deagle/primary while holstered for quickdraw).

Thank you!
Pages: [1]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Weapon "wheel" that stays until user action? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length