Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 05:44:24 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Karma Formula
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Karma Formula  (Read 5707 times)
Zetos Lapier
Poster

« on: August 06, 2010, 02:32:38 AM »

This isn't an extremely important topic, it's just something that I'm amused by, how exactly do you have your formula set up? Are you doing it where if the person is shot by the other first they don't lose as much karma? That'd be super duper cool.

And is the formula for damage kind of like (karma/1000 = %player damage)
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 06:48:42 AM »

Internally there's two karma values: Base Karma and Live Karma. The first is shown on the scoreboard and is what determines your damage penalty at the start of a round. It does not change during a round. Live Karma is not shown anywhere, and increases/decreases during a round.

When you hurt someone who is on your side (ie. innocent->innocent), the formula is as follows:
penalty = victim_live_karma * (0.001 * damage)

This penalty value is subtracted from your own Live Karma at the same time as you damage the other player.

So let's say a player with 1000 karma attacks another player with 1000 karma, doing 30 damage. If we plug that into the formula we get a penalty of 30, immediately reducing the attacker's (live) karma to 970. Because the penalty for hurting someone is based on their karma, it is now slightly "cheaper" to hurt him back.

The difference isn't huge yet because his karma is still high. The karma system is meant to work across a few rounds. It will not necessarily lead to the ultimate "fair" result in any encounter, but in the slightly longer term it should sort the wheat from the chaff, as players who end up hurting people in every round find their karma sinking and never increasing. And as their karma goes down, their ability to cause damage also decreases.

Some fun karma facts to finish up:
- The additional penalty for killing a player is handled as if you dealt an additional bit of damage over what you already did to kill him.

- There are karma rewards for hurting/killing a traitor, computed similarly to given formula but with different numbers.

- If you play a round without hurting a fellow innocent, that's a Clean Round. That means your karma "heals" by 25 at the end of the round. Else, it only heals by 5 points.
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 07:46:04 AM »

Is this somewhere on the site? You should add it somewhere if it isn't. I'll throw this in a notepad for now.

Just grab some bottles and stick them in girls...
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 09:09:10 AM »

Most of it is here: http://ttt.badking.net/help#TOC-Karma
Meta-Stick
Poster

it contains, a daisy box

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:08:29 AM »

I meant the formula itself. I don't think a lot of people know that's how it works. It explains a lot, I always thought it was 1 dmg is equal to a loss of 1 karma. Is it possible to have like say, 987.3 Karma, and it only shows as 987, or does it round off?

Just grab some bottles and stick them in girls...
Zetos Lapier
Poster

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 10:20:11 AM »

I believe it rounds off or you'd get a bajillion letters growing off of that .3.

Also one quick question, is the traitor killing traitor a higher karma loss? I think it would be a good idea for it to be a higher value loss than innocent vs. innocent kill.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »

I meant the formula itself. I don't think a lot of people know that's how it works. It explains a lot, I always thought it was 1 dmg is equal to a loss of 1 karma. Is it possible to have like say, 987.3 Karma, and it only shows as 987, or does it round off?

Scoreboard rounds it off.

Also one quick question, is the traitor killing traitor a higher karma loss? I think it would be a good idea for it to be a higher value loss than innocent vs. innocent kill.

It's the same. Note that there are cases where two traitors could arrange to have one kill the other, for example. Regardless, it doesn't happen often enough to specifically discourage it.
Pages: [1]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Karma Formula « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length