Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 02:48:34 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [HALP!] Creating a "dead ringer" item.
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: [HALP!] Creating a "dead ringer" item.  (Read 8827 times)
Mavbear
Poster

« on: June 18, 2010, 09:03:31 AM »

Hey guys! First of all, great job with the gamemode! I've been hosting it on one of my servers for a couple days now and everybody loves it. I want to do some deep customization, specifically a "dead ringer" item for Traitors. Here's how it goes down:

- Traitor purchases Dead Ringer from context menu, and it is an ACTIVE upgrade, not a useable weapon.
- Traitor has the DR in his list of weapons but it's just to show that he has possession of a special item, and therefore cannot buy another (like a knife)
- Traitor gets shot while he is in possession of DR, goes invisible. A fake dead body (permanent) is created with all the usual information on it.
- Traitor is restricted to Holstered until his invisible timer runs out or he switches weapons, in which case he is visible again.

What do you guys think? I'm pretty experienced with LUA and GMod in general, but have virtually no experience with Fretta and its gamemodes. Would someone be willing to help out with this? :)

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:06:36 AM by Mavbear »
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 10:31:23 AM »

Sounds over powered.
I mean really over powered.

Traitor gets a shotgun, puts it and the DR on fast switch.
Traitor sees an innocent, goes invisible and gets behind the innocent.
Fast switches to shotgun and one hits.
Traitor fast switches back to the DR and hides/finds next target.

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
Mavbear
Poster

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 07:44:34 PM »

It wouldn't make you invisible when you have possession of it, only when you are shot and feign death. :)
Also it would be one time use, like the knife.
Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 09:43:21 PM »

Sounds like a fine idea to me but you'd still want footsteps ect, also maybe when they de-cloak your visible for a few secs before you can shoot so you cant do what Worbat said.
Also I think when a innocent checks the corpse it should say, this body is clearly a very clever fake, the traitor who dropped it may still be alive.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TyrantGrandburnin
AndyTheGeeky
Build Tester

Wannabe Zoidberg

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 10:50:08 PM »

Maybe for Detectives, not Innocents.

Signature Pending...
Mavbear
Poster

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 12:22:59 AM »

I'm glad you guys like the idea :)
Does anyone want to help bring it into pseudo-reality?
Jon is a BEAST
Poster

The Leader of all Noobs

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 12:25:50 AM »

Sounds like a fine idea to me but you'd still want footsteps ect, also maybe when they de-cloak your visible for a few secs before you can shoot so you cant do what Worbat said.
Also I think when a innocent checks the corpse it should say, this body is clearly a very clever fake, the traitor who dropped it may still be alive.

I like the idea of "This body is clearly fake...", it would make it more fair.

Also, there should be a timer on the cloak (like in TF2) so you can't just sit in a corner invisible waiting for someone to come by.

you're not alone. I need alot of help too. :B
Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 09:23:12 AM »

Unfortunately I can't program for shit but I imagine someone here could give you a hand, just reiterate to them that this is for YOUR server and not the gamemode in general, that will stop people trolling you (hopefully)

http://www.youtube.com/user/TyrantGrandburnin
Therio
Poster

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 04:16:05 PM »

One-use-only would make it a lot more balanced.

Like a "get out of jail free" card in monopoly.
Jon is a BEAST
Poster

The Leader of all Noobs

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 04:01:17 PM »

I'm still a noob at GMod programming and map making and all that... if I could help I would, but like Tyrant said, there has to be SOMEONE here who can help.

Also, when/if you finish it, I'd love to join your server and try the dead ringer out :D

Mavbear
Poster

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 04:41:08 PM »

Hey guys, a little update.

I've scrapped the dead ringer approach, and have gone with something a little more interesting: the sleeping pill. Imagine you've just wasted three guys in a room out of desparation. You know you're going to be found out, so you pop on over to the context menu and buy yourself a sleeping pill. Switch over to it and click, and your body falls onto the ground with you spectating it. You have up to 30 seconds to wake back up (by clicking again), so if anyone finds you in the meantime, they will assume you're dead.. unless of course they shoot your body. Then you're dead for reals, and no one will know but you. :C

Pros: You appear dead, wake up and run away to kill again, and no one is the wiser.

Cons: You run the risk of being shot by cautious Innocents, and if someone identifies your body, they will see you were a traitor. So waking up and being seen around the map again means everyone will know who they're after.

I've been scripting this for a little while and have a basic beta going on my server: mav's mystery mansion! - 74.63.230.178:27015

At this point it creates a dead body but you are still walking around. This is because I don't have much time in the day to beta test stuff on the server, as people tend to be on it quite a lot in the afternoons.

Let me know what you think about the idea guys. :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 04:42:57 PM by Mavbear »
Darkebrz
Poster

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 05:01:53 PM »

People will just walk up to a body. If it's a traitor, just shoot it in the face. Sleeping pill is now useless.
DemiGod
Build Tester

Nimble as a pregnant cow

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 05:12:16 PM »

People will just walk up to a body. If it's a traitor, just shoot it in the face. Sleeping pill is now useless.

I hate all of you
Nah, more like demigod isn't self centered and he is legality cool guy.
Mavbear
Poster

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 06:10:56 PM »

That is, of course, part of the risk of using the sleeping pill. I could change it so that the body shows up as an innocent, but that would mess up the information gathering system and a major part of the gameplay, which I'm not keen on doing.
DemiGod
Build Tester

Nimble as a pregnant cow

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 06:33:53 PM »

It's no longer a risk if it just becomes common practice.

I hate all of you
Nah, more like demigod isn't self centered and he is legality cool guy.
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 10:26:12 PM »

Way back in early days. I suggested something like this. It was no'ed as people would just shoot bodies.

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
Jon is a BEAST
Poster

The Leader of all Noobs

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 07:44:32 PM »

Way back in early days. I suggested something like this. It was no'ed as people would just shoot bodies.

Agreed.
People will walk around shooting all the bodies, so it just wouldn't work.
But I still like the DR idea :D

laser2150
Poster

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 09:42:45 PM »

How about a manikin, like say the same senario, and now you know you in trouble. This standing manikin just holds a primary and just stands there. Now you can tuck into a corner and an innocent could walk into a room and see someone standing over bodies. They would shoot it and go to check it. But its clearly fake, he knows now it was a trap, and your shotgun to the back to his head confirms it.
Darkebrz
Poster

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 02:03:04 AM »

To situational and obvious. Wouldn't it be just as easy to shoot someone in the back of the head while checking a body? Also, people often find bodies while traveling in a pack. If they find the body, find the mannequin, then fine you...
laser2150
Poster

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 04:29:11 AM »

here comes the idea police. wee woo wee woo
Pages: [1] 2
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [HALP!] Creating a "dead ringer" item. « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length