Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 03:33:54 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [WIP] ttt_rapid
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: [WIP] ttt_rapid  (Read 23026 times)
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2009, 11:12:48 PM »

If we base it partially on the Khallos express
Why would he do that? The Kallos had the most retarded shit ever on it, and it's structure made very little sense even for an evil villain.

When I meant sections detaching I meant the last one or two carriages, so they basically detach and anyone on it dies, maybe the terrorists are escaping or something, the traitors could require equipment to use this.
So wait, they detach the last two cars of this large train, and everyone on it just dies for no reason? I hate this idea.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
DemiGod
Build Tester

Nimble as a pregnant cow

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2009, 12:11:57 AM »

So wait, they detach the last two cars of this large train, and everyone on it just dies for no reason? I hate this idea.

The cars could flip over or something along those lines

I hate all of you
Nah, more like demigod isn't self centered and he is legality cool guy.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2009, 12:44:28 AM »

While that would be cool if you forget how hard that would be, why would anyone ever go to the last few cars then? I mean you could add some intensive, but that's just avoiding the issue. There'd also be the fact that innocents would do it for shits and giggles, and you could make it traitor-only but then people would camp the button.

Anyways I'm just babbling on because I'm procrastinating doing a design report, but in my opinion, adding detachable train cars is a novel idea that opens up a world of problems and headaches and bugs and it totally not worth it.

darkhazz
Poster

I just look like i'm interested.

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 02:42:25 AM »

I changed the setting to a desert like outskirt.

And yes, I know that the mountains look like a giant butt.  :P

driver's cab and coal storage:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 02:46:21 AM by darkhazz »
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 02:54:31 AM »

Wow, that's quite the bit of work you have ahead of you. Getting that effect to not look cheesy as hell in source isn't easy, Are you using func_movelinear to toss objects by, then resetting them once they get to the end?

If so, here's a few thoughts:
- Perhaps make more background props than necessary, then randomize when they take off so you get a different scenery every time (just make sure there's no clipping problems).
- Perhaps include tunnels which, for about 10 seconds, kill all the outside light and probably take out any fool on the roof.
- Since you're using skybox props, make sure the nodraw parts aren't visible. In that screenshot alone I see two cone-topped cylinders with missing backs.
- Including a door every 15 feet across the walls is probably a bad idea.

darkhazz
Poster

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2009, 03:04:26 AM »

Are you using func_movelinear to toss objects by, then resetting them once they get to the end?

Yup.
Perhaps make more background props than necessary, then randomize when they take off so you get a different scenery every time (just make sure there's no clipping problems).

That's pretty much what i did

Perhaps include tunnels which, for about 10 seconds, kill all the outside light and probably take out any fool on the roof.

I also thought about tunnels, but this would result in a shitload of switchable lights all over the train. That's why i'll just add a signal pole, which pushes players off the roof.

Since you're using skybox props, make sure the nodraw parts aren't visible. In that screenshot alone I see two cone-topped cylinders with missing backs.

That's a cheap skybox model, i can't do much about it.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2009, 03:50:53 AM »

Well if it looks like shit, remove it. Better to have no model than a shitty one you can see through.

Now here would have come the part where I recommend using a short bridge instead of a pole to knock players off because a bridge is more visible, but I just thought of something else. Instead of fucking around with tons of shitty buildings to get the industrial desert look, why not make the train go through an actual desert? The difference it will make it the player is very little compared to the work involved between the two.

If you're still into clipping players off of the roof from time to time, then perhaps the train should whiz through a small station or outpost every now again.

Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2009, 09:09:32 PM »

I agree with ajunk, Ithink we'd all prefer a natural desert landscape rather then a manmade one. So for example just some cliffs and sand dunes, a few small lakes here and there and it should look really pretty.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TyrantGrandburnin
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2009, 09:22:30 PM »

I think you missed my point. A plain desert would be better because it's easier, not because people would like it more. If the background is easily done, he can focus on making the train look badass.

goatfetus
Poster

Righting wrongs through penetration

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2009, 11:40:36 PM »

Now that it's been mentioned, a true desert setting at high noon would be pretty fucking sweet. Put in some canyons, maybe make the train go around a sheer cliff. I could think of ideas for a map like that all day.

The way I would go about a map like this though, I would actually make the train move along a huge circular track along the outside of the map, but not extremely close to the boundary, so that you'd be able to put stuff on the outside of the track closer to the skybox. But then I'd put a slight haze in the map, so you wouldn't be able to see clear across the map. I would probably make the train stop at random predefined places too, like outposts or small towns.

Remember Remember the 10 of December
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »

Let me make this very clear so nobody is confused from now on:

Traveling on moving platforms in multiplayer, even with one person (let alone the whole server), is a fucking nightmare in source. The server will shit itself, there will be massive clipping issues, people will constantly fall through the train, it will be frustrating. No. Never. Not possible.

Even in Left 4 Dead, which has just 4 players in a game made specifically for co-op, there are some visible problems with the platforms which, as you may notice, all move at a snail's pace.

Blitzy!
Poster

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2009, 10:06:54 PM »

The only other map I believe which is set on a moving train is Neotokyo's Bullet. If you're stuck, I'd recommend looking at that map for inspiration.
darkhazz
Poster

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2009, 12:24:46 PM »

thanks for the advice, but i'm not stuck yet. I just don't have the time to work on it due to exams :/
Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2009, 06:12:19 PM »

Well good luck with the exams and well wishes towards the map.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TyrantGrandburnin
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [WIP] ttt_rapid « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length