Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 09:05:55 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Mapping Q&A
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 13
Author Topic: Mapping Q&A  (Read 236721 times)
takua108
Poster

« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2010, 07:23:27 PM »

Hey, all. I'm new to TTT mapping, and I haven't used Hammer in months, so forgive me if I'm being absolutely retarded, but I can't seem to get a metal detector to work.

I want to have a metal detector that the players can walk through to check and see if they have any terrorist equipment on them. I have a trigger_multiple and a ttt_weapon_check in the same spot. The trigger_multiple has an Output: OnTrigger, <name of the ttt_weapon_check>, CheckForType, 3. The ttt_weapon_check has an Output: WeaponsFound, <name of an env_sprite>, ShowSprite.

This all looks logical to me, but the light goes on whenever I walk through the detector, regardless of what I'm carrying, even if I'm only carrying the stock equipment.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2010, 09:23:14 PM »

Try setting "developer 2" and checking the console after you walk through to see how the inputs and outputs are firing. Maybe paste it here.

I believe the ttt_weaponcheck example vmf (have you seen it?) uses a logic_compare in between the weapon checker and the sprite. Your setup seems like it should work though.
takua108
Poster

« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2010, 10:13:31 PM »

I ended up trying the logic_compare thing, and that didn't work either.

What the problem ended up being was, ttt_weaponcheck checks for players whose origin is in the volume, and my metal-detector thing was too small. I ended up making it a sort of small tunnel with the trigger in the middle but the ttt_weaponcheck taking up the whole thing.
Fuffe
Poster

Crummycradle was a mistake

« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2010, 03:51:23 PM »

In my map, I have a trigger that spawned a bread prop. When used, the bread would disappear and the user would get their health set to 100. This worked when I tested it about a week ago, but now it does no longer refill the health. Upon checking through the changelogs of the gamemode I found nothing that mentions it. It works in sandbox but not in TTT, so it's definitely not a mapping error and it's definitely caused by TTT.

The output I'm using from the bread is OnPlayerUse !player SetHealth 100. I also tried !activator but it's the same.
C.Mong
Poster

DNR Owner

« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »

I've been wondering lately if it's possible to pakrat a player model into a map and tell ttt_map_settings to use that model.

I'm really not feeling keen on using default gmod/hl2/css player models in a map I'm working on.

www.dnr-gaming.com
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2010, 09:18:27 PM »

Any model that the game can access when the ttt_map_settings entity spawns should work.
Fuffe
Poster

« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2010, 05:14:37 PM »

Could you add func_water_analog to work with the ttt_damageowner?
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2010, 08:09:08 PM »

From what I gather, you would use func_water_analog for rising water and such? The problem would be that that entity does not deal damage itself, it only causes it very indirectly by inducing drowning. It's not going to be feasible to add special checks to see if a player is inside any func_water_analog entities when drowning, just to support a specific trap.

Short answer: no.

It seems like you might be able to emulate it by having a trigger_hurt deal damage that kills a player faster than the drowning process. Not ideal, but for certain traps it could work.
Fuffe
Poster

« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2010, 08:40:48 PM »

Trigger_hurt it is!
Fuffe
Poster

« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2010, 09:55:56 PM »

I've noticed that func_brushes don't reset on new round, is this inevitable?
Silverstream
Poster

Project Suburb Developer

« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2010, 12:28:04 PM »

When you mention "they don't reset" are you referring to their render mode? Are you referring to their state? Ex: Did you utilize the input/output system to "kill" your func_brush?

I use 2 func_brushes in my map and they appear fine. If you want to "reset" them so to speak, simply
have a logic_auto -> OnMapSpawn -> Output any parameters you want the func_brush to emit.

Ex: If you want a func_brush to change color upon round start, use the logic_auto entity method above and change its color to a 255 255 255 value.

Does this help? If you can elaborate more on your problem, I may be able to help you further.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:29:07 PM by Silverstream »
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2010, 02:27:25 PM »

I've noticed that func_brushes don't reset on new round, is this inevitable?

The only thing in TTT that I do with func_brushes is unparent them before I make gmod reset the map, and then re-parent them afterwards. This is necessary because gmod will completely remove them otherwise. I don't add func_brush to the list of entities not to reset or anything.

So it is most likely inevitable. Hopefully Silverstream's advice can help work around it.
Fuffe
Poster

« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2010, 05:25:32 PM »

When you mention "they don't reset" are you referring to their render mode? Are you referring to their state? Ex: Did you utilize the input/output system to "kill" your func_brush?

I use 2 func_brushes in my map and they appear fine. If you want to "reset" them so to speak, simply
have a logic_auto -> OnMapSpawn -> Output any parameters you want the func_brush to emit.

Ex: If you want a func_brush to change color upon round start, use the logic_auto entity method above and change its color to a 255 255 255 value.

Does this help? If you can elaborate more on your problem, I may be able to help you further.

Yes, it was very helpful. I saw that the color didn't reset and the brush itself didn't respawn when I killed it. The first problem I already worked around but the second is still a problem. Can you actually "revive" killed brushes? Otherwise I'll just make it change the alpha to 0 and use the logic_auto to reset it on map start.
Silverstream
Poster

Project Suburb Developer

« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2010, 12:38:37 AM »

You could as you mentioned, change the alpha of the desired func_brush entity to 0.
However, if you are concerned with the Solidity of the brush, it will most definitely appear odd to be standing on air if your brush is invisible.

It Might Interest you to look into "func_wall_toggle".

It operates like a func_brush however it can be toggled either "ON" or "OFF".

Create a world brush, texture it with a white light texture (If you plan on having its render mode set to "color"), tie it to a func_wall_toggle

You can still set its render mode to "color" and have it either disappear or reappear using "output method (ex: logic_auto) > Name of Func_wall_toggle > Toggle > Delay: 0.00

Once the func_wall_toggle is invisible, it becomes non-solid.
There is an additional parameter to have it start invisible as well.

Again, I hope this helps you with your problem. Func_brushes once "killed" are removed from the world and upon a new round starting are still removed.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:34:42 AM by Silverstream »
Fuffe
Poster

« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2010, 12:46:48 PM »

Thank you, very helpful!
Silverstream
Poster

Project Suburb Developer

« Reply #135 on: September 29, 2010, 06:20:38 PM »

Glad I could help :P. If you're interested in learning about other source entities/brushwork/lighting, refer to the following:

http://www.interlopers.net/tutorials/

Interlopers is a great community that offers an extensive amount of mapping tutorials and material to source engine mappers.

If you have any difficulty accomplishing anything in valve hammer, be sure to post in their forums. I have in the past and they were exceedingly helpful.

Citizen_001
Build Tester

Male_07

« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »

I guess this isn't really too much of a drastically needed addition, but would making two more OnRoundEnd outputs from the ttt_map_settings entity specify whether traitors or innocents won be considered?

1200+ hours in Source SDK, and the Source engine is still a mystery.

Quote from:  Dinner
The first time you see him he comes onto you so hard.
[/quote]
Fuffe
Poster

« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2010, 12:03:47 AM »

I guess this isn't really too much of a drastically needed addition, but would making two more OnRoundEnd outputs from the ttt_map_settings entity specify whether traitors or innocents won be considered?

Actually, it does.

http://ttt.badking.net/mapping-guide#TOC-Entities

RoundEnd (has an argument of 2 = traitors win, 3 = innocent win, 4 = timelimit)
Fuffe
Poster

« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2010, 12:07:23 AM »

Could an entity be added, that adds a 2D icon with text on the HUD like the traitor button or the C4. It could, for example, show the traitors where not to walk on a mine field, or on ttt_losttemple it could show the safe pattern in the nail shooter trap, or on some map it could show the traitors where to go at a given time. For convenience, the max distance for the icon to be shown should be specify-able, so they don't clutter the screens when you're not even near it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:15:21 AM by Fuffe »
Citizen_001
Build Tester

Male_07

« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2010, 12:36:19 AM »

Actually, it does.

http://ttt.badking.net/mapping-guide#TOC-Entities

Oh, really? Oh god that's awesome, thanks BKU, I figured it was just a flat output instead of an integer output.

1200+ hours in Source SDK, and the Source engine is still a mystery.

Quote from:  Dinner
The first time you see him he comes onto you so hard.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 13
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Mapping Q&A « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length