Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 09:09:10 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Mapping Q&A
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 13
Author Topic: Mapping Q&A  (Read 236737 times)
scaz.zaf
Poster

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 12:37:56 AM »

This thread is for basic info on mapping for TTT, and to ask mapping questions in.

Setting up
To run your own game of TTT to test maps with, you'll need to have it installed as a gamemode. To do this, download the .zip and extract it into \garrysmod\garrysmod\gamemodes\, so you end up with a \gamemodes\terrortown\ directory. Make sure you don't put it in the \addons\ or \lua\ directories even though they sound like good places.

Might I inquire as to where this download is? I have maps just waiting to be converted into TTT but I cant until I have this DL.

Much appreciated.
AndyTheGeeky
Build Tester

Wannabe Zoidberg

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 04:59:35 AM »

The Latest release thread might be a good place to start :S

Signature Pending...
scaz.zaf
Poster

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 09:01:16 PM »

/facepalm
Citizen_001
Build Tester

Male_07

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 01:12:26 AM »

Uhhh, tGb did you disable the "tools/toolsblockbullets" texture's function? For some reason the material will block bullets when played in sandbox, but not in TTT. I really need to use this function too, so please look into it.

1200+ hours in Source SDK, and the Source engine is still a mystery.

Quote from:  Dinner
The first time you see him he comes onto you so hard.
[/quote]
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 08:15:43 AM »

I can assure you that at no point did I cackle and say, "I'll disable this arbitrary tool texture". I'll check it out.

edit:
Works fine here. Are you testing it with a specific weapon?
I've tested it by putting a blockbullets brush in ttt_weaponcheck.vmf, so when v050110 is out you could check that and tell me how the usage compares to your situation.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:33:27 AM by Bad King Urgrain »
Citizen_001
Build Tester

Male_07

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 11:51:23 PM »

My situation more specifically is a func_brush using the material that is parented to a func_physbox. I test it in sandbox it works fine, TTT no. I also tried multiple weapons on it as well.

[/quote]
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 10:54:15 AM »

I was able to reproduce it. As I feared, GMod's map resetting functionality happily removes func_brush entities for no apparent reason (like it does with rope keyframes). Perhaps once more round-based Fretta gamemodes are played, garry will get off his ass and fix some of these things.

Until then, you could try using a different brush entity in the role of the func_brush. A func_button (with all of its button stuff disabled) seemed to work reasonably well, but I don't know what your exact usage is.
Citizen_001
Build Tester

Male_07

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 10:32:37 PM »

I just figured that the func_brush was not there at all in TTT before I came and saw this post, and I used an inactive func_door and parented it to the object and it worked like a charm. An odd bug though...

[/quote]
Officer_BUlbock
Poster

oh god not the snorks nooo

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 04:43:24 AM »

Is it just me or do soundscapes not work for some reason? I've tried env_soundscape, env_soundscape_triggerable with trigger_soundscape and even a trigger_multiple that sends a playsoundscape command to a clientcommand entity and none of them play either default hl2 or css soundscapes. I can make the soundscapes play manually through the console though. I can do without them, but any ideas?

Maps:
zm_air  zm_powderkeg  zm_voodoo  zm_endgame ttt_airbus ttt_siege
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 09:04:38 AM »

Do they work in sandbox? Check if the entities still exist after a TTT round has started (report_entities).
Officer_BUlbock
Poster

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 09:48:55 AM »

I tried with a regular env_soundscape in sandbox and ttt and they don't seem to work. The soundscape entity does appear in the report_entities list though. I can't help but feel I'm missing something obvious, but I've checked all of the entity options and I can't see anything out of the ordinary.

Maps:
Citizen_001
Build Tester

Male_07

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 03:00:26 PM »

You sure you have the soundscape_(mapname).txt and soundscape_manifest.txt (with your map referenced in its list) all placed in Gmod's scripts folder?

They worked for Lost Temple.

Also if you are pakking it up be sure to manually put in the two soundscape files as they will not be auto added in with its scan.

[/quote]
Officer_BUlbock
Poster

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 07:52:32 PM »

I'm actually using default soundscapes, specifically ones that come with CSS, so I figured that I wouldn't need to do any file moving since I could play them using the console. But I put the script files in and it's working now so thanks.

Maps:
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 06:55:38 PM »

Doing some testing, I noticed that the disappearing func_brush issue doesn't happen to all func_brush entities. TheThing has a few (used for eg. the traitor checker result board) that work fine in TTT. So it might have something to do with how Source handles the blockbullets texture, or tool-textured func_brush entities in general.

I also noticed that ropes seem to work fine with a simple move_rope -> keyframe_rope setup on a testing map I had lying around. On thething, the setup seems to use multiple move_ropes and no keyframe_rope. So the issue there, where some rope entities disappear which screws up the elevator ropes, might be avoidable by using a different rope setup.

The bottom line is that gmod's map resetting might not be as broken as I thought, or just broken in a more intricate way than I thought, as it clearly doesn't just accidentally remove certain entity types.
Notary
Poster

United forever for friendship and labour

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 08:04:13 PM »

Func_brush disappeared on thething when it was tied to the elevator at the warehouse.

I used move_rope > keyframe_rope transition before and it was actually bugged, I thought If I use move_ropes only it could work but it doesn't. Ropes can work for the first round or so, later they become screwed up.

Made in the USSR

My level design gallery
Citizen_001
Build Tester

Male_07

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 12:21:28 AM »

The func_brush problem isn't specific to tool textures, it apparently only happens to a func_brush when it has a parent, regardless of texture, but if it has no parent it works fine and will be created.

[/quote]
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 08:34:36 AM »

Very strange, seeing as other entities work fine when parented.
Scoops
Poster

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2010, 03:25:49 AM »

I have a question about ttt_tratior_check

I have a teleport, and I want it only to be usable by tratiors. I was trying to make it so if you weren't, you'd just light on fire, but I would prefer that you would just not be teleported.

Any ideas?
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2010, 08:38:29 AM »

Is it a trigger_teleport?

You could try having it like so:
button -> traitor_check -> logic_compare -> trigger_teleport

Teleport starts disabled. Player steps in the teleport area to press a button that performs the traitor check. That fires an input to logic_compare, which checks if there was a traitor (ie. the parameter of the input is bigger than 0). If so, it fires an input on trigger_teleport to enable it. The player should be touching the teleport area at this point and is therefore teleported immediately.

This basic idea may also work using triggers instead of a button to perform the check automatically when a player enters the teleport.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2010, 04:27:15 PM »

The func_brush problem isn't specific to tool textures, it apparently only happens to a func_brush when it has a parent, regardless of texture, but if it has no parent it works fine and will be created.

I've found a potential fix for ropes that is also related to parents. I observed the same thing: ropes with parents get removed by gmod's cleanup, while other ropes don't. So I've made something to unparent every rope entity before cleanup, and re-parent them afterwards (also resetting them to their original position in case the parent has moved over the course of the round). The ropes on thething_a5 seem to work now.

Are there other maps with rope issues I could test?

The fix might also work for func_brush and friends, if it proves to work for all or most rope issues.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 13
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Mapping Q&A « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length