Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:54:56 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: LANing TTT
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LANing TTT  (Read 3894 times)
Vedici
Poster

« on: August 03, 2011, 12:24:49 AM »

Is there anyway to disable the popups in the upper right hand corner?

Through a combination of fast-weapon switch, disabling crosshairs, using our IDs to cover up the health/status bar, and setting the start-of-round popup that tells you your team to appear for only a second, we've managed to eliminate any method of screen-peeking except for those top-right popups which clearly show who's a traitor when someone dies.  So, if those were disabled, we'd have a perfect LAN setup going, anyone figure how we could do that?
GrayScare0
Poster

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 12:42:22 AM »

You mean role reveal?  That is, when you check a body, the results (x confirmed the death of y OR x found the body of y, he was z role)?  If so, I don't know of any way to disable those without modifying the gamemode.

I'm curious, though: Would you not still have messages telling you that you received equipment (as traitor and detective)?  Those could also be game breaking.  Also, you have the issue of people being able to talk when they are under fire or have just died unless you guys are using text only, and there's the score board too (for traitors, fellow traitors are red; you can see what people are marked, etc).  Then there's also reading body language--is the player moving the mouse?  Is he/she focused on the game, or zoned out?  Pressing keys or not?  It's possible to read the status (dead/alive), activity, and role this way.

Not that this isn't obvious, but TTT is not a great game for LAN.  If no solution to this problem (or these problems) is found, perhaps you can either not take the game as seriously and deal with the problems and/or could move the screens such that no screen watching is possible.  I know this isn't particularly helpful, but there's just no way to keep the experience pure when you can see other players.
Vedici
Poster

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 12:58:52 AM »

Yeah, I was referring to role reveal, as well as the equipment notifications.  We all unbound the scoreboard key, and there's a strict no-talking-after-dead rule. 
The body language has never been much of an issue, it sometimes give away that someone has died, but doesn't really break the game.  My instincts now tell me to just tape something over the top-right of the screen, because I have very limited knowledge of coding and the monitors' positions are fairly fixed.
Thanks for the help, though.
GrayScare0
Poster

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 01:03:46 AM »

The no-talking-after-death rule has one problem: The player may not realize that he's being fired at (shot in mid-sentence) or that he *just* died, eliminating cut-offs in some scenarios.  Not that that's a HUGE problem, but it still happens; play online and there are many people that complain that they weren't heard issuing a KOS, not realizing they were just barely being cut of by gunfire or their own death.
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 06:39:22 PM »

ttt_announce_body_found 0

You would still have stuff like a red message on certain events. To take that out you'd need to make some small code edits. You could either edit it to hide the messages completely, or only make every message appear as white text on black (though someone closely watching could still see messages appear on a traitor's screen that are not on their own). I could point out which lines need changing, or I could make the changes myself in a "lan version" if you can wait until the weekend

There are still a number of other HUD indicators that could also be peeked, such as radar blips and the little red status lines in the bottom left (for the disguiser, etc). And the traitor menu of course (I guess you could use keybinds with the ttt_order_equipment command...).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:42:04 PM by Bad King Urgrain »
Pages: [1]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: LANing TTT « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length