Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 09:15:41 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [RELEASE] TTT_Backalley
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: [RELEASE] TTT_Backalley  (Read 9391 times)
CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« on: March 01, 2011, 03:11:49 AM »

Download

The Following is About my Quest to Map Porting

Hey guys I've recently learned how to port Goldsource maps mainly for part of a project I work on in my freetime. We've been looking to port maps from Goldsource for a while and while it might not be too hard for some people it did take me a while before I had mastered how to port maps.

Anyways when I learned how to port maps I was looking for some possibilities that would be promising for garry's mod. And I realized that Counter-Strike has maps that would be perfect for Trouble in Terrorist Town. So for quiet a while I was looking forward to making one for TTT. When I started out I was committed to porting cs_747 for gmod but ran into many issues. The first time I tried porting it the decompiler clipped literally every single brush and trying to fix those quickly by carving was out of the question. So I used a different decompiler. This one messed up the textures and made them all the same scale. It also messed up a lot of the complex geometry of the map which I would have to redo, but hey thats better then every brush clipping. I tried and tried to fix this map but in the end I gave up.

Once I gave up I went out looking for a CS 1.6 map that had pretty simple geometry and textures that were mostly the same scale. My next favorite map was cs_backalley. This map was much easier to port. Just had to fix up the map and it was good to go.

QUEST OVER

So heres the short version.
I ported cs_backalley from Counter-Strike 1.6 and made it compatible with gmod and TTT. The map also uses a custom player model of the CS 1.6 Terrorist but I forgot to take screenshots of it.

Quote from:  Credits
TYR - Original Map Maker
Valve - Sounds, textures and CS 1.6 Terrorists
CrazyChicken - Porting the wads, map and old Terrorist model. Also rigging the terrorist model to the HL2 Skeleton[/quote]

Screenshots:

Player models:

Let me know what you think, I don't think everyone would enjoy playing in a map made for an older engine but I think it would be neat to play a classic map for TTT.

If enough people want me to I can port more maps and make them from TTT. Just let me know.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:53:39 AM by CrazyChicken »

Most Neutral Poster
Release: ZM_BlackMesa1, TTT_Bank, TTT_Backalley
All my maps start with "B" hmm...
Manmax75
Poster

Programming Guy

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 09:14:39 AM »

This brings me back...

Ride Forward and Thrust Your Pelvis In The Dark Void. The One Induced By Pleasure Yet Cast By The Bigger Picture.
Cush
Poster

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 02:47:04 PM »

I cant really get away with goldsrc textures now :( I would love to play it with a retexture and maybe some source props/details added in.
CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »

Retextures with props on ported maps looks just bad and has been done too much. I know since thats basically what I did for zm_blackmesa back when I was still learning the ropes of hammer. The only good way to get a high quaility map is to remake it from sctrach. I ported and left it like the original for the Goldsource theme. That's also why the map uses a custom player model from CS 1.6 to make it fit the theme of the map.

I might port more maps when I release this if you guys are intrested.

Most Neutral Poster
Liru
Poster

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 11:35:18 PM »

I cant really get away with goldsrc textures now :( I would love to play it with a retexture and maybe some source props/details added in.

Why not just play the CS:S version of Backalley, then?

Redditor? Join the TTT reddit:
http://ttt.reddit.com
Arcadium
Poster

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 04:06:06 AM »

They have one?
CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 05:48:53 PM »

Sorry I kinda let this die for a while. Was really busy with real life things. I'll release the map soon all I only have to fix a few textures and it should be good to go.

Here is a screenshot of the player models by the way.

Also can a mapper tell me how to make it so the game randomly picks which custom model to use.  Or if it's even possible to do that.

Oh and ignore the Leet's knees they aren't like that now.

Edit: I'm going to release soon. However I don't know how to make it so the ttt_map_settings picks multiple custom models so this version will only have the Terror model.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:41:42 PM by CrazyChicken »

Most Neutral Poster
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 09:07:13 PM »

ttt_map_settings has an input that sets the playermodel path. You could set something up like: ttt_map_settings fires MapSettingsSpawned -> PickRandom on a logic_case, which picks a random output and fires OnCase* -> SetPlayerModels input on the ttt_map_settings with a model path as parameter.

Seems like it would work. Setting "developer 2" in the console will make TTT entities print some debug information starting with "[TTT dev]" in the console. It should be useful for figuring out if this works properly.

CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 11:29:56 PM »

ttt_map_settings has an input that sets the playermodel path. You could set something up like: ttt_map_settings fires MapSettingsSpawned -> PickRandom on a logic_case, which picks a random output and fires OnCase* -> SetPlayerModels input on the ttt_map_settings with a model path as parameter.

Seems like it would work. Setting "developer 2" in the console will make TTT entities print some debug information starting with "[TTT dev]" in the console. It should be useful for figuring out if this works properly.

Thanks I'll try that out.

Most Neutral Poster
CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 02:16:52 AM »

Released.

Be sure to check out the project I made this in mind for as well.

Most Neutral Poster
ryeezy
Poster

OFWGKTA

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 09:53:39 PM »

dude this is fucking great. if you get the time you should do a version of cs_estate like this. id love to add it to my server.
Liru
Poster

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 06:43:02 AM »

dude this is fucking great. if you get the time you should do a version of cs_estate like this. id love to add it to my server.

Fuuuuck, I loved cs_estate. Too bad not many servers played it, and those that did were usually of the two-player variety...

Redditor? Join the TTT reddit:
http://ttt.reddit.com
ryeezy
Poster

OFWGKTA

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »

yep estate was the best map. ive been dying for a good port for ttt.

p.s. if you make it for me we will be best friends forever just saying
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:42:56 PM by ryeezy »
CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 02:46:08 AM »

yep estate was the best map. ive been dying for a good port for ttt.

p.s. if you make it for me we will be best friends forever just saying

Actually cs_estate was next on my list. I was just waiting to see if people wanted more map ports. I'll port that one next ;)

Most Neutral Poster
ryeezy
Poster

OFWGKTA

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 03:03:05 AM »

omg <333333 CANT WAIT

not sure if this is sad or not but you totally made my night  :shh:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:09:20 AM by ryeezy »
Sacmo
Poster

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 02:48:21 AM »

Think you could fit the old Vegas map from cs 1.6 in there as well ?
CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 05:18:13 AM »

Yeah, I'm planning on doing more Goldsource map ports and just using this thread to list them all. Although I haven't started porting much yet, due to laziness and school. The maps I'm planning to do so far are cs_estate and dod_kalt. I've had the Axis team from DoD ported for a while now. I'm hoping to port a variety of popular Goldsource maps but I don't want to do every single Goldsource map because I'm sure people would get sick of it quick and I don't want to do that much work. I also started working on ttt_bank some more just making it look a little nicer but didn't get very far. I think I'll port another map just for fun.

Here's the ported Axis models I'm planning on having in future DoD ports. (The finger rigging is actually screwed up in this picture as well as some shading issues. That has been fixed now)

I'm open to requests if someone wants a classic ported. I kept thinking it would be funny to have a Ricochet map but that would most definitely not work for obvious reasons. So let me know if you have a good idea for a map to be ported, just as long as it's not something like killbox.

Most Neutral Poster
Pages: [1]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: [RELEASE] TTT_Backalley « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length