Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 03:50:01 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2 discussion

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Traitor Equipment: Mute
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Traitor Equipment: Mute  (Read 5871 times)
EpicBox
Poster

ZE EPIC BAWKZ IZ CUMING FOR YA.

« on: February 17, 2011, 02:58:40 AM »

Note: This is not an admin command LOL.

Anyways, I've been thinking for some time now, and I'm sure this would be an amazing TTT feature (not sure if you guys do though  :shh:).

So what's this equipment?

It's bassically a weapon you plant in the floor, ceiling or wall (like a Decoy or C4). When you plant it, a "sphere" (like the Visualizer sphere, just that this is a "full" sphere) appears. It's a red sphere that goes through walls, ceilings, etc. Only traitors can see the spheres. The spheres are big enough to cover a whole Richland apartment (this may change though).

What happens with the spheres then? Well, they "isolate" the players. WHAT? Well, when you're inside a sphere, you cant communicate with the players outside the sphere. And the players outside the sphere can't communicate with the players inside it.

NOTE: If you actually type something before you die, Last Words will still show up when you ID a body.

Mute costs 1 credit, can be bought only once. When you plant it you can take it back and plant it somewhere else.

So in a 32 player server, 6 mutes can be bought and used. Overpowered? Keep reading.

When an Inno/Detective finds a Mute [Mine] and he presses E, he has 2 choices:

- Destroy it
- Activate it

Activate it? WHAT? Well, when you activate it all Innos and Detectives will be able to see the sphere, once activated you can't disactivate it, at least you destroy it.

Why would you activate it? A beacon appears. :O The planter will be "beaconed" for a few time (10-20 seconds). Only the "activator" will see the beaconed player.

"THIS IS AWFUL". No. Why would it be implemented?

- Traitors can "activate it" too. If you activate it, no one else will be able to do so = no beacon. But, of course, you can lie.

>>> Activate it
>>> Lie about a player being beaconed

- You can lure the innos into the mute zones, and take them out silently.

- Every sound inside the sphere is isolated too. Your victim yells? No problem. Your gun is too loud? Who cares - not the ones outside the sphere. The gunfire is isolated, EVERYTHING.

This may need some improvements, but this is the base idea. Comment if you like it (or not)!

Epic Hug,
Epic Box.

There's 3 things I hate: <br />People that hates people.<br />People that hates the haters.<br />And people that hates the haters of the haters.
DemiGod
Build Tester

Nimble as a pregnant cow

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 03:17:14 AM »

I guess with a few changes that could be kind of interesting

I hate all of you
Nah, more like demigod isn't self centered and he is legality cool guy.
Liru
Poster

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 06:19:22 AM »

I've played on servers where there is a "radio jammer" of sorts which jams all voice activity and changes any text into "== RADIO JAMMED ==" or something like that. It's more annoying than anything and I haven't seen a situation where it helped take somebody out.

However, with the twists you've provided, it could be useful. I'd foresee just a bunch of RDM, though.

Ask Phoenix, he might be willing to make a prototype of it. :P

Redditor? Join the TTT reddit:
http://ttt.reddit.com
CrazyChicken
Poster

Beep Beep Boop

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 07:00:59 AM »

I don't think isolating weapon sounds to a certain area would work in source but I do think your idea is pretty intersting. The activating part is useless and confusing however.

Most Neutral Poster
Release: ZM_BlackMesa1, TTT_Bank, TTT_Backalley
All my maps start with "B" hmm...
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:31:04 PM »

Remove the move ability, also remove the activation.

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 02:01:01 PM »

- Every sound inside the sphere is isolated too. Your victim yells? No problem. Your gun is too loud? Who cares - not the ones outside the sphere. The gunfire is isolated, EVERYTHING.

I wish this level of control over sound was possible in gmod (in fact it would make the concept cool enough for me to make it), but to my knowledge it is not.
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 02:26:49 PM »

Worth investigating, no?

Shadow:  Ben's secret name is ben

my god
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 05:07:41 PM »

There's not much to investigate. GMod doesn't let you play sound only to specific players. Source does, but the functionality is not Lua'd in gmod.

edit:
I've just tried to abuse env_microphone to make a "sound dampener" kind of thing, by making gobble up sounds and send them to a speaker at lower volume. The speaker would just be an info_target at the same position, so all sounds in range of the mic would get played at lower volume. This crashed gmod. I was just hacking it up in sandbox, maybe I misconfigured the entity or maybe env_microphone is broken in gmod. I don't really feel like crashing a bunch of times trying to find out. If someone feels like testing out the concept in Hammer it might have some potential still.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:34:01 PM by Bad King Urgrain »
Manmax75
Poster

Programming Guy

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »

It is possible to have mic chat restricted to only certain players. However half the functions gmod uses for controlling sound are broken, which is unfortunent cause some would have been quite useful.

Ride Forward and Thrust Your Pelvis In The Dark Void. The One Induced By Pleasure Yet Cast By The Bigger Picture.
Pages: [1]
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Trouble in Terrorist Town  |  Topic: Traitor Equipment: Mute « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length